Syntax TV Remote Code - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 05-31-2005, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Syntax (Olevia) 32" LCD TV. The Replay manual doesn't list a remote code for any Syntax/Olevia TVs. Does anybody know the remote code for this TV?

I tried searching the Web and AVS with no luck.

Thanks for any help,
Steve

Silicon Valley Pocket PC
http://www.svpocketpc.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-31-2005, 01:37 PM

As the manual says, some TVs are not supported by the remote. Yours may or may not be supported. If you can find the names of other companies that manufactured or sold this or a similar TV, try them. Otherwise, perhaps the JP1 method: http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/index.shtml

I was surprised that my little Panasonic TV/VCR wasn't supported by any of the ReplayTV remote's Panasonic codes, so I guess I'll have to try JP1 myself.
post #3 of 19 Old 05-31-2005, 04:30 PM

Not to change the subject, but how do you like the Olevia? I'm thinking about one to use as a combination monitor for my computer as well as a TV. Any opinion if you've tried it?
post #4 of 19 Old 05-31-2005, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Be careful if you plan to use DVI connection with this TV - from reports here (JeffD I believe) DVI connection doesn't support overscan => noise at top of screen. Component connection is OK.

For remote code try the Philips and/or Magnavox codes.

TiVo 6 tuner Roamio Pro, Elite & Premiere + MoCA networking.
kmttg - Tivo To Go and Advanced Remote Control

post #5 of 19 Old 05-31-2005, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

This TV uses a signal which is common to many devices (the technical info is that is uses the NEC1 protocol with a device code of 0).

Assuming that you have the black 4 device remote that came with the early Replay models, even though there isn't a matching code for your TV, you can use advanced codes with the CBL/0040 setup code to program the remote to work your Syntax TV, but if you have the silver remote that comes with the 5000 series units, you will need JP1 to program it.

So, if you have the black 4-dev remote, first change the TV button into a CABLE button (using the 992 command), then program the 0040 setup code to it. Then you will need to use advanced codes to program each of the buttons.

To program an advanced code, you do this...

1) Tap the TV button
2) Press and hold the SETUP button, 2 flashes
3) Type 994, 2 flashes
4) Enter the 3-digit advanced code (from the list below)
5) Tap the button to be programmed.

Here are the advanced codes for the Syntax...
056 num 0
181 num 1
185 num 2
183 num 3
180 num 4
184 num 5
182 num 6
053 num 7
057 num 8
055 num 9
054 100
171 AUTO
052 CH RTN
042 Channel-
039 Channel+
037 Favorite
165 INPUT
040 Menu
251 MTS
247 Mute
164 P.Ctrl
167 PIP Swap
187 Power
245 Sleep Timer
168 Subtitle
041 TV/Video
169 VIEW
036 Volume-
038 Volume+

Later, Rob

Select a link for questions on: Remotes, JP1, JP1 Forums
I prefer emails to PMs, my email is rob1 (at) rockabilly (dot) net
post #6 of 19 Old 05-31-2005, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony99CA
I have a Syntax (Olevia) 32" LCD TV. The Replay manual doesn't list a remote code for any Syntax/Olevia TVs. Does anybody know the remote code for this TV?
There are a couple of device upgrades on hifi-remote.com/forums

If you have JP1 cable, the 3k, showstopper, and 5k remotes can be upgraded using JP1.
post #7 of 19 Old 06-02-2005, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnacl
Not to change the subject, but how do you like the Olevia? I'm thinking about one to use as a combination monitor for my computer as well as a TV. Any opinion if you've tried it?
I haven't tried hooking a computer up to it (the TV is in my living room). As for the rest, it seems OK for the price, but I prefer much about my Sony 32" XBR tube set.

Here's what I like:

* The price (under $1150 if you get a rebate)
* Easy to move (my Sony weighed about 180 pounds)
* Multiple input options
* Multiple PIP modes (I use PIP a lot)
* The styling (even the remote, which many reviewers didn't seem to like) -- it's black and cool

Here's what I don't like:

* Picture seems a bit fuzzy and the colors seem off sometimes (this could be an adjustment issue)
* Slow switching between inputs
* Slow switching to and from PIP modes
* No customization of video input names (they're called Video 1-3, Component 1-2, etc.)
* No channel labelling
* No Enter key -- you have to use the Volume Up key (UPDATE: It does have an Enter key, but that doesn't seem to work in all menus.)
* No resizing of screens in split screen mode
* Remote buttons unresponsive at times

I've only had it for a week or so, so I'm sure I'll find more.

Steve

Silicon Valley Pocket PC
post #8 of 19 Old 06-02-2005, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Robman
Assuming that you have the black 4 device remote that came with the early Replay models, even though there isn't a matching code for your TV, you can use advanced codes with the CBL/0040 setup code to program the remote to work your Syntax TV, but if you have the silver remote that comes with the 5000 series units, you will need JP1 to program it.
This was for a Replay 5504 (sorry that I forgot to mention that). However, I do have an old Showstopper remote, which I just dusted off. The buttons don't all work reliably, though.

I might be willing to try the procedure you listed for the old remote, but I have no inclination to spend time or money using JP1. Using two remotes isn't that much of an imposition, especially as the 5000 series remotes only control power and volume anyway. Having a remote code would make using them a bit more convenient, which is all I was hoping for.

Steve

Silicon Valley Pocket PC
post #9 of 19 Old 06-02-2005, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Robman
This TV uses a signal which is common to many devices (the technical info is that is uses the NEC1 protocol with a device code of 0).
Based on that hint, I tried the NEC codes listed in my Replay 5504 manual. Code 0030 got the Power and Volume working, but not Mute. Code 0019 got them all working.

Thanks,
Steve

Silicon Valley Pocket PC
post #10 of 19 Old 06-03-2005, 10:27 PM

Do some searching - I posted the Olevia Remote codes about 2 months ago (4/16 I believe was when I posted it).

Here is a link to it: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=Olevia
post #11 of 19 Old 06-03-2005, 10:40 PM

Quote:
I haven't tried hooking a computer up to it (the TV is in my living room). As for the rest, it seems OK for the price, but I prefer much about my Sony 32" XBR tube set.

Here's what I like:

* The price (under $1150 if you get a rebate)
* Easy to move (my Sony weighed about 180 pounds)
* Multiple input options
* Multiple PIP modes (I use PIP a lot)
* The styling (even the remote, which many reviewers didn't seem to like) -- it's black and cool

Here's what I don't like:

* Picture seems a bit fuzzy and the colors seem off sometimes (this could be an adjustment issue)
* Slow switching between inputs
* Slow switching to and from PIP modes
* No customization of video input names (they're called Video 1-3, Component 1-2, etc.)
* No channel labelling
* No Enter key -- you have to use the Volume Up key
* No resizing of screens in split screen mode
* Remote buttons unresponsive at times

I've only had it for a week or so, so I'm sure I'll find more.

Steve
I have to agree with the picture tweaking - I had to spend a LONG time to get it adjusted to look good. Most LCD's are usually pretty close on the money, but the Olevia had to be adjusted, but once it was adjusted it works GREAT!

I haven't seen the remote button issue - maybe a bad remote. Make sure that the plastic is off of the IR receiver.

On the channel labeling, if you are going to use your Replay for the tuning, this won't be an issue :)
post #12 of 19 Old 06-11-2005, 06:40 PM

I own the 26" and the 32" syntax TVs. Syntax customer service told me to try the codes for Sharp and LG. On my Hughes satellite remote the Sharp code worked. I hope this Helps.
post #13 of 19 Old 06-12-2005, 05:03 AM

Quote:
This was for a Replay 5504 (sorry that I forgot to mention that). However, I do have an old Showstopper remote, which I just dusted off. The buttons don't all work reliably, though.

Steve

IF the remote has screws ( look under batteries ) cleaning the buttions is easy .. all the buttons are on one flat rubber insert ( can be washed with soap and water ) .. and so can the plastic case that the button go into .. just double check that it's 200% dry before putting the circut board back in.
post #14 of 19 Old 06-12-2005, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Just a note on the syntax remotes... there are a couple different versions and they do have different commands.

The only model that I know has this issue is the 27" silver unit. The two remotes are different, one small grey with little buttons batteries go in a clipped section on the back.
The other is larger rectangular mostly black with less buttons and a slide off cover for the batteries. The two remotes use different command sets and different firmware on the TV.
post #15 of 19 Old 06-18-2005, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIS-Man
Do some searching - I posted the Olevia Remote codes about 2 months ago (4/16 I believe was when I posted it).

Here is a link to it: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=Olevia
Thanks, but as my previous post said, 0030 didn't quite work on my remote (Mute wouldn't work). I had to use 0019.

As for searching, please. As my original post said, I did search both the Web and AVS. I apparently didn't pick the right search terms, but I spent quite a while looking (as I almost always do before I post a question on any forum).

Steve

Silicon Valley Pocket PC
post #16 of 19 Old 06-18-2005, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D
Just a note on the syntax remotes... there are a couple different versions and they do have different commands.

The only model that I know has this issue is the 27" silver unit. The two remotes are different, one small grey with little buttons batteries go in a clipped section on the back.
The other is larger rectangular mostly black with less buttons and a slide off cover for the batteries. The two remotes use different command sets and different firmware on the TV.
That's interesting. That could explain why MIS-Man said 0030 worked for him while 0019 worked best for me.

Steve

Silicon Valley Pocket PC
post #17 of 19 Old 06-19-2005, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Pony, It seems that syntax *olivia* is playing around with IR command sets. The haven't seemed to get a group that works great. It could be that you are noticing a difference in what they are using. I'm not sure, but with JP1 we can find out exactly what commands are what, like robman said above he's got documented commands for some actions. The best thing to do is compare with what you've got and see how they match up.

BTW on the "enter" button. They are under the "right" is enter. Seems stupid to me, but that's how they are. If you want to confirm something you press right. That "enter" for them.

ONe other note... if you ever do find yourself in a service menu that says "press right to confirm" don't think pressing left will get you out without modifications being made. I did this when I found myself accidently in the service menu. Left in fact confirmed the reset and volia... my box was back to some unknown default state. =(
post #18 of 19 Old 06-19-2005, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D
ONe other note... if you ever do find yourself in a service menu that says "press right to confirm" don't think pressing left will get you out without modifications being made. I did this when I found myself accidently in the service menu. Left in fact confirmed the reset and volia... my box was back to some unknown default state. =(
Hey Jeff, didn't yo momma tell you the service menu confirmation is the devil?
Wad bidness you have gettin anywhere near that prompt? :) :)
post #19 of 19 Old 06-19-2005, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Regarding the TV/0030 and TV/0019 codes, these codes are very similar. I have an old GE television that responds to both codes, but different buttons are missing from each set (including MUTE being missing from one set, I forget which).

I am surprised that these codes work the Syntax as the signals are different to the codes that I have for the Syntax. I'm curious to know if the OEM remote sends the same signals, but we'd need you to get into JP1 for us to find out. Some devices respond to more codesets than just the ones emitted by the OEM remote, so it's possible that this is the case for the Syntax.

Later, Rob

Select a link for questions on: Remotes, JP1, JP1 Forums
I prefer emails to PMs, my email is rob1 (at) rockabilly (dot) net
Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page