Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #181 of 207 Old 08-17-2005, 02:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Re Jimmcq's channel changing problem:
If I had to guess I'd say that maybe it is sending the codes too fast... one time
when it was trying to change to a three digit channel that ended in a 9, it went
to channel 9 instead. It seems similar to when an IR blaster would send codes
too fast, but that's just a gut feel.

I saw the same problem (only once so far) - You can see it at the very start of the recording file. It tried to change to 277 (World Poker Tour) and the screen showed:

27 (pause, flipped to) 72

result was a channel not found and it stayed where it was. I almost think it was too slow with the last digit, but I've only seen it once so it's hard to say. On the other hand, this changer ROCKS! After a couple more weeks of playing with it and breaking it in, I will probably grab another two for my other Replays. Just want to be a bit more comfortable with the channel-changing issue first. Still - SWEET!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 207 Old 08-17-2005, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MukPuppi
one time when it was trying to change to a three digit channel that ended in a 9, it went to channel 9 instead. It seems similar to when an IR blaster would send codes too fast, but that's just a gut feel.
I've had that exact same experience and that's what led to my hunch that it is sending codes too fast and/or needs a delay inbetween codes.
post #183 of 207 Old 08-19-2005, 01:13 PM

I've had a little feedback on the 3.03 test version, and I'm going to make some tweaks. I'll know more next week.
post #184 of 207 Old 08-26-2005, 10:41 PM

I'm having the same problem that jimmcq and mukpuppi are having. Any word yet on a fix for this issue? It's great having local channels again, but I would like to have this problem fixed.

Thanks again for offering the product.

Dave
post #185 of 207 Old 08-28-2005, 05:25 PM

For anyone with occasional channel-change problems it would help to know what version of the firmware you are using. Units shipped before 8/2/05 or so had 3.00, and it's a bit different from 3.01/3.04. You can use the version checker at http://www.patersontech.com/Translator/Updates.aspx to be sure.

I would also like to know if the missed station was local or not.

I have a fix in mind but getting feedback on these specifics would really help.
post #186 of 207 Old 08-28-2005, 08:37 PM

good news! according to a post on one of the tivo forums, D* issued a "pilot" patch on 8/27 to some customers which appears to have fixed the problem. I haven't heard anyone complain about any "new issues" created by the new patch, so maybe they did it right this time. the patch appears to fix both the low speed data port and the screen saver issue. now we just have to see how long it takes them to roll it out to everybody (probably another 3 months).
post #187 of 207 Old 08-28-2005, 08:49 PM

the update was reported on tivocommunity *dot* com
it was sent down between 3 and 4 AM on 8/27

the update code (or version) is 0x1020

it appears to have been released in the bay area of CA (no supprise there)
post #188 of 207 Old 08-30-2005, 06:57 PM

There is new version of the TV Translator firmware that tries to address reliability issues. It's version 3.06 at http://www.patersontech.com/Translator/Updates.aspx.
Give it a try and see if it helps.
post #189 of 207 Old 09-06-2005, 11:34 PM

DosMan,

The link you have provided doesn't contain version 3.06, but it does seem to contain a newer version (3.07). Should we be trying version 3.07? What happened to 3.06?

Dave
post #190 of 207 Old 09-07-2005, 06:25 AM

I'm a new SBC Home Entertainment Directv customer - do you think this will effect me? Or is it still just a "maybe"?

Thanks
post #191 of 207 Old 09-07-2005, 07:01 AM

Well check this out - apparently the D10's that SBC provide don't even have serial connectors!!WTH!! I can't believe it - is this normal? What are my alternatives other then buying a new receiver box?
post #192 of 207 Old 09-07-2005, 10:39 AM

A couple of folks have tried firmware version 3.07 and said it fixed their issues with reliability. (If a later version is posted by the time you see this, use that instead!)
post #193 of 207 Old 09-07-2005, 04:54 PM

I am currently on Firmware 3.07 in D10 Mode with a DirecTV D10-100 and a Replay 4080. The replay just missed a recording of a local channel. I examined the first few seconds of the recording several times and the directv channel info was showing "000", then quickly changed to "0" and "channel not available". Before the channel info reverted back to the previous channel, which is what was recorded.

I hope this helps in solving the problem. I would also be willing to pull the show off the replay and capture images of the first few seconds of the recording.

David
post #194 of 207 Old 09-07-2005, 05:42 PM

Well I spoke with SBC and they are going to provide me a Sony receiver instead of the D10 - because apparently the D10's they provide here do not have data ports. Anyone think I will have any issues with a Sony receiver/ serial cable and replayTV? What I also might end up doing is purchasing one from someone on these forums.

Thanks
post #195 of 207 Old 09-08-2005, 02:55 PM

Ok I guess that I just couldn't get it into d10 mode...

after all this time spent looking for a pair of locking tweezers, I just used the little jumper doodad from an old hard drive I had laying around...

I used the "set to d10" program and BAM! local channels...

thanks so much Dosman, thing works great!!! :cool:
post #196 of 207 Old 09-09-2005, 06:30 PM

Well go figure - SBC ended up giving me the D10 and the firmware updated today to 0x101b.

So I take it its not even worth reactivating my replay?

I guess I'm going to buy an older Sony receiver - or isn't there something I can buy here? Also where can I get the correct cable? The low speed data (phone jack) to serial? Please help me guys - I've previously hooked up my replay via cable so I'm completely clueless with all this satellite stuff - plus I've moved so I don't have any of my Replaytv cables.

Thanks
post #197 of 207 Old 09-09-2005, 08:51 PM

Liked: 15
I have 3 older RCA DRD420 and 430 receivers controlling 3 Replay 45xx machines using serial control. They have worked flawlessly since getting them some years back.

However, when I returned from a vacation yesterday, I happened to notice that one of my local channels (ch 6) on DirecTV which is a CBS station locally was showing the banner for an NBC station. Upon further review, the call letters for the NBC station that was showing up on the DirecTV banner (with no picture) was WDSU. After googling those call letters, I found out that NBC 6 - WDSU is in NEW ORLEANS. Or should I say WAS in New Orleans, cause their website says they have relocated their broadcast to a sister station somewhere else in Louisana. So guess that explains why I have a blank screen on my local channel 6 and also explains why they say I am not authorized to get it since I live in Michigan!!!! I also have 2 HTL-HD's which work just fine and the locals are all correct.

I called DirecTV and after 2+ hours on the phone with them they told me that I needed to replace my older RCA boxes with new models!!! Well, you have already guessed what my response was to that. I basically told them that if they did not allow me to purchase the boxes I wanted as replacements (that would work with serial control) so they would still be compatible with my Replay's that they could just take their service and "put it where the sun don't shine"!

So I guess my question is are the D10-100's the only hope I have regarding a new DirecTV receiver that has a snowball's chance of working with my serial control from the 45xx Replay's? (with or without dosman's gadget?)

Also, just be aware that they hinted to me that they were going to end support on my older RCA boxes in the near future and would have to replace them soon anyways! Almost got the impression that I was not the first, and that this was some kind of conspiricy on their part to get the older boxes out of circulation.

<start sarcasm> You don't think they would start screwing with channel lineups like this with older box holders and just play dumb as to what the problem really is just to get them to upgrade do you??? <end sarcasm>

Unless someone here can suggest a replacement box that will work, I guess I will just end my local channel subscription with them for now and use my cable locals with a less optimal picture (keep that for 8 a month so I get 15 a month off my internet from Comcast).

Are the D10-100's even available any more? I know the 200 and 300's don't work at all with or without Dosman's translator.

TIA for any suggestions.

Jay
post #198 of 207 Old 09-10-2005, 01:57 AM

I just got DTV about two weeks ago and the boxes I were given were d10-100s. Of course I am kinda remote and I don't think DTV does much business out here (since dish is cheaper). Those two extra kids channels I wanted that I couldn't get with Dish for more money really ended up biting me in the a here!
Anyhow, probably just check with the local sat place and see what models they give out.
On another note, mine do not work with my 45xx replay at all, locals or not. I posted about this on another thread but it appears noone wants to answer me :)
Is the d10-100 supposed to work with 45xx serial? Channels over 100 or under I don't care at the moment, but just would like an answer so I know whether I need to call and bitch, or buy the gadget etc?
Good luck with finding the d10-100 (if they even work).
post #199 of 207 Old 09-10-2005, 10:55 PM

I have posted a new version of the TV Translator firmware that might help with reliability on local stations. I think we have all problems with non-local stations licked.

Tazmaan, you need a TV Translator to hook a 4xxx ReplayTV to a D10-100. See the web site http://www.patersontech.com/.
post #200 of 207 Old 09-12-2005, 12:35 PM

Just got off the phone with DTV supervisor and they are covering the cost of the TV translators. Money in your pocket! :)
Basically, just gave them two options, I send the equipment back and cancel service, or they cover my cost on the translators.
For anyone who's still in the predicament, seems like the best option.
Congrats to Dosman for creating this device and filling a market where the buyers really have no choice! :)
Great prosperity to you!

(Now I just hope they work by the time I get them, and keep working!)

Thanks again

Taz
post #201 of 207 Old 09-15-2005, 06:37 PM

DosMan has done it.
I have been using firmware version 3.08 for a few days without have any channel change problems. I have a Replay 4080 and 4504, both hooked to DirecTV D10-100's. The reliability problem with sometimes not changing to the correct channel, looks to have been solved.

I want to also take a minute to condone my thanks to DosMan and Paterson Technology for continuing to work hard to resolve problems and for creating a great product.

David
post #202 of 207 Old 09-15-2005, 06:56 PM

David! I think you meant "convey my thanks".....
post #203 of 207 Old 09-19-2005, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Forget about DTV fixing the problem. I would recommend switching to the DRD435RH.

Once you get your hands on one just call directv and they will allow you to swap receivers. You still keep the same access card.

-mk
post #204 of 207 Old 09-20-2005, 04:05 PM

Ok guys I read through most of the posts in this thread but am not sure if the TV translator will work with a D10-200 box. I was recently forced into this "upgrade" in order to recieve local channels here in Idaho. Had RCA DRG-430 before.

Anyone?
post #205 of 207 Old 09-20-2005, 05:26 PM

A D10-200 will not work, you need a D10-100, sorry. Maybe you can ask the place you got it from to swap for a 100. :(
post #206 of 207 Old 09-22-2005, 11:00 AM

We recently picked up a couple tv translators as well and they've been working great as far as I can tell for the past few days. About to send DTV the bill...
post #207 of 207 Old 09-27-2005, 11:28 AM

Is this still a problem with the D10 and replays? I'm thinking of getting a second replay but don't want to have to replace my other sat receiver as well.

i replaced my first one with an RCA box but now I get an "insert valid access card" for 5 minutes every time I change a channel. picture is still there but that message shows up and then goes away.

damn DirecTV ... seems they're hell bent on making our lives miserable
Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page