Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 274 Old 08-13-2005, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Thank you for responding!
I should have been more specific.
I do not have a PC at home currently, nor do I have a network.
Can I simply use the "slingbox" ONLY with the replay and then control the replay from a remote PC.
If so, how is this done? What software and/or requirements does the remote PC need?

How exactly do I control the replay from the remote computer? Is it simple and intuitive or is it complicated to use? I would appreciate any detailed info any experienced user could provide.

THANKS! :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 274 Old 08-14-2005, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The thread title should include 'and you have killer upload speeds, and you travel alot to places with broadband for free'.

Otherwise, I don't see sling box as being a 'must' for RTV fanatics.
post #93 of 274 Old 08-14-2005, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, you can use the Slingbox only with the ReplayTV and then control the ReplayTV from a remote PC as if you were sitting right in front of the ReplayTV.

Go to www.slingmedia.com to see what the exact system requirements are. You'll also find a good overview of the product. Once the software is installed and the box is set up, it is very easy to use. However, you need to hook up the Slingbox to both the video source you want to use (ReplayTV in this case) and you also have to hook it up to broadband Internet. If you don't have broadband (cable or DSL) then you should forget about using the Slingbox as it needs a good amount of bandwidth that dialup doesn't provide.
post #94 of 274 Old 08-14-2005, 10:37 AM

I get good video at 100kbs or more so you don't necessarily need great bandwidth with the slingbox, thay's one of it's benefits.
post #95 of 274 Old 08-14-2005, 11:51 AM

I agree that this will be a must have device but only if you also have a windows mobile phone and an EV-DO connection.

The sling media site says in the FAQ that certain buttons are missing from the ReplayTV functionality of their client. Which buttons are these?
post #96 of 274 Old 08-14-2005, 01:33 PM

the replay guide must be accessed via menu=3 clicks unless you are already playing the just return to replay guide and commercial skip on/off must be accessed via menu. neither of these is a big problem and sling is working on adding those buttons.
post #97 of 274 Old 08-14-2005, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
slprp1, you don't think this will work without a broadband internet connection do you? That's piece number one in this Slingbox puzzle. It doesn't work via dialup. It sounds like with your current setup this won't help you out.
post #98 of 274 Old 08-14-2005, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

And if CA button is disabled in the 5k line it also means the input button is disabled on others...
post #99 of 274 Old 08-14-2005, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

why are there all these different threads about replay? Isn't one enough?
post #100 of 274 Old 08-14-2005, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In response to the other thread 'If you have a replay TV, Slingbox is almost a must!'--which I'm trying to drag back to this thread--there is a article in the LA Times today about the Slingbox, its 'gee whiz' factor, and its 'do I need this?' factor.

Here's the LA Times article:
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...ck=1&cset=true

Most notable, is the end of the article:
But are any of these applications compelling enough to justify the expense and the set-up hassles?

Slingbox, unfortunately, looks like one of those solutions looking for a problem, like all too many tech products that seemed interesting when introduced, only to fade into obscurity.

Like record players for cars. Seriously — in 1955
*, Chrysler began offering the "Highway Hi-Fi" record turntable as an accessory.(Check it out at http://www.ookworld.com/hiwayhifi.html ) It died even before the advent of audio cartridges and cassettes.

Remember the satellite telephone? There's another gee-whiz device that never scored big.

And just last year came Microsoft Corp.'s much-hyped SPOT technology, which uses FM signals across the country to send news, sports and stock updates to specially equipped digital wristwatches. I've never spotted anyone actually wearing one, outside a trade show.

Maybe the clever Slingbox won't join this group. Maybe it is the future of television.

But if not, you could always keep it as a collector's item, a token of a bygone tech era.

I'm already scouring eBay for a Highway Hi-Fi for my Honda Civic.

*according to a patent book I was rumaging through yesterday, 1955, was also the year the nuclear reactor and velcro were patented. I also discovered that the Rocket, and Bra--oddly--were patented in the same year (1916). A moment of ackwardness followed learning the camera was patent 80ish years(~1840) before the bra. Most confronting I learned that the Drive-In Theator was patent in May of 1933; my mom was born in April of 1934.
post #101 of 274 Old 08-15-2005, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rplenty
Rob, I would like to control my XM radio as well as the replay, can you help me out? roady2 is the model
I probably could let you control the Roady, but the current version of the Slingbox software doesn't allow for controlling 2 devices at once. Though they tell me that is in the works.

Later, Rob

Select a link for questions on: Remotes, JP1, JP1 Forums
I prefer emails to PMs, my email is rob1 (at) rockabilly (dot) net
post #102 of 274 Old 08-15-2005, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just FYI, I have merged the other Slingbox thread with this one.

Later, Rob

post #103 of 274 Old 08-15-2005, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Rob - when I set it up, it gave me a choice for 'replay' [don't remember the exact wording], along with replay1 and replay2 [again, don't remember the exact wording] -- and I assumed they meant machine-id1 and machine-id2.

Great, I thought, so I selected #1 -- only it said it wasn't available. Any idea why they list configurations that aren't available??? [I wound up with just the default replay, and put a simple piece of cardboard between the two machines which seems to be quite enough to block the local ir blinker from the second machine while still allowing me to control both from across the room -- but it would be nice to have true '#1' at some time...]

[And for the record, I'm surprised that it is quite usable -- not great, but usable -- with dsl upload speeds -- and that it gets through my firewall at work (which seems to block most video streams by default) -- though I don't know how long that will last...].
post #104 of 274 Old 08-16-2005, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1
The only function that I really need is to be able to access my replay 5000 unit from a PC in a different location (i.e the library or on while on vacation) and program a show that I may have forgotten to do or that popped up suddenly. I am not concerned about watching shows I have recorded from a remote location but I would love to be able to control the replay (delete shows, check to see if a show recorded ok, etc.). Do I need "slingbox" for this? Are there other options? Cheaper options? Software options? etc.
Why not try myreplaytv? It's free and seems to be the answer to your problem, so long as you remember to record the program the day before you need it recorded.

HTH,

Carolyn
post #105 of 274 Old 08-16-2005, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Schneider
Rob - when I set it up, it gave me a choice for 'replay' [don't remember the exact wording], along with replay1 and replay2 [again, don't remember the exact wording] -- and I assumed they meant machine-id1 and machine-id2.
I don't have mine setup right now (had some network problems) so I can't verify exactly what codes are offered for ReplayTV, but when I look in the SBAV.cfg file, it just shows the one VCR/0616 code. This is the Panasonic version of the code that doesn't support unit codes. Having said that, I do see three other files in the SBAV folder for the version of the Slingbox that has the PL chip installed called VCR/0614, 1614 and 1615. My guess is that the 1614 and 1615 codes are for unit codes 1 and 2 (though I haven't checked yet).

I need to check with the Sling guys whether there's a way to tell which version you have (ie, JU or PL) from the serial number or something.

Later, Rob

post #106 of 274 Old 08-16-2005, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Robman
I probably could let you control the Roady, but the current version of the Slingbox software doesn't allow for controlling 2 devices at once. Though they tell me that is in the works.
No problem for me because I have a slingbox I want to dedicate to the roady2. I want to listen to some channels not available on XM on line. I have several others who have requested it also see XMfan.com
post #107 of 274 Old 08-16-2005, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No problem for me because I have a slingbox I want to dedicate to the roady2. I want to listen to some channels not available on XM on line. I have several others who have requested it also see XMfan.com
OK then, could you remind me in about a week (by posting here) and I'll create an upgrade for you. (By then hopefully our JP1 software will be updated to help me make the upgrade).

I'd like to know whether you have a JU or PL version of the chip. To find out which version you have, check the serial number.

If it starts with...
505 it's a JU
507 it's a PL

for 506...

a. View > Slingbox Directory
b. Edit Properties
c. Select the Information tab
d. Scroll down to find IR blaster version
i. 2.0 = JU
ii. 2.1 = PL

Later, Rob

post #108 of 274 Old 08-16-2005, 08:26 PM

ok, by the way I will be in chitown next week. Hope the weather is good! I have a 507
post #109 of 274 Old 08-19-2005, 07:13 AM

Need help.

Slingbox is hooked up to the ReplayTV (5040 upgraded to 200 hrs) via S-video and a/v cables and to the router via Ethernet cable. Via the computer the Slingbox changes channels and turns the RTV on and off but there's no watchable picture.

Do I need to change any settings on the RTV so that the RTV will output to the Slingbox? Pehaps in Menu, Setup?

TIA,

Carolyn
post #110 of 274 Old 08-19-2005, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I assume you are using S-Video for the video from the RTV to the SB, and then only the red and white (audio only) cables for the audio? Make sure you don't have the yellow cable plugged in. Also, make sure the Replay is 'on' (blue light on).

In the initial Slingbox setup did you indicate that you were using the SVideo for video?
post #111 of 274 Old 08-19-2005, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhargr03
I assume you are using S-Video for the video from the RTV to the SB, and then only the red and white (audio only) cables for the audio? Make sure you don't have the yellow cable plugged in. Also, make sure the Replay is 'on' (blue light on).

In the initial Slingbox setup did you indicate that you were using the SVideo for video?

Correct, the s-video is from the RTV to SB and only the red and white are plugged in. The RTV is on and I did indicated that I was using s-video in SB setup.

The buffer is only at 90 kbps, which makes me think that's the problem. I'm only using the SB inside the home and my network is transmitting at 100 mps. I switched to using a/v cables only (no s-video) and the buffer increased to about 98 kbps.

Carolyn
post #112 of 274 Old 08-19-2005, 03:50 PM

carpathia16, Did you get a picture with the composite video connection? The buffer amount doesn't mean much if you still aren't getting a picture. Make sure the A/V miniplug is fully plugged into the Slingbox by unplugging it and then plugging it in again. Inspect it to make sure you have it all of the way in. How is the Replay connected to your TV?
post #113 of 274 Old 08-19-2005, 06:26 PM

I got the SB working by just using the a/v cables instead of the s-video. For some reason the s-video reduced the buffer, but with the a/v I was up to 1000kbps. The reception is great. It's a lot of fun.

DTSFan, to answer your question, I have the RTV connected to the tv with a coaxial, so maybe that's an issue.

My next trick will be to try to use the SB over the internet. Right now it's working, but just on my home network. I think I'll revel in success for a little while before tackling the SB internet project.

Thanks to all for your help and support.

Carolyn
post #114 of 274 Old 08-20-2005, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Just saw one at Compusa and thought about getting it... good thing a move is in the near future and I can force myself to hold off on that.... at least until football season starts. Oh crap that will happen BEFORE the move. Well, the folks don't have broadband yet so it really doesn't matter.

I wonder how long it will take for some tivo nut to figure out how to capture the broadcasts and display them on the tivo, so you can watch TV on TV from a remote location!
post #115 of 274 Old 08-20-2005, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
OK, I've created an upgrade for you which is attached. Unzip the file into the SBAV folder:

C:\\Program Files\\Sling Media\\SlingPlayer\\SBAV

Then edit the SBAV.cfg file using a text editor (like Notepad). Look for the [SATELLITE.Codes] section and then add an entry like this...

Delphi SkyFi2 XM Radio=S0730

Then save it and see if you can load the code into your Slingbox.

NOTE: This upgrade is for the PL version of the box (ie, serials starting with 507), it won't work for people using the JU version.

S0730_PL.zip 0.166015625k . file

Later, Rob

post #116 of 274 Old 08-21-2005, 02:29 PM

After reading some of the negative posts here, I recommend talking to an owner.
It's an astoundingly good product if you understand what it's purpose is ...... providing a streaming signal of your home-based video. You want HD? Well maybe in the future. But bear in mind that this is the first really and truly bug-free device of its type available. It works far better than it should and seems to work on a slower connection than they advertise. As for those with really old PC's complaining about minimum requirements, bear in mind a high performance PC is so cheap now as to be laughable. I saw a brand new Dell a couple of months ago for $200, shipped free with registered RAM no less!! And you can't afford two bills for an upgraded PC? Why would you be a customer of the Slingbox for $250.00 when you can't even afford a decent PC for $200?
I've heard of people actually getting the thing to run on dialup ..... Personally I don’t see that as being conducive to play back quality, but heck .... It runs.
As to ugly, it's concealed in a cabinet, not displayed like a DVR or tuner.
It's not a device that would be used to pirate anything, so I can't imagine that even being an issue. Its sole purpose is to give you a decent picture though the web and it does that extremely well. Its flawless stability is a big plus. Although there are a couple of other competing companies, they are so flawed in my experience (and that's over thirty years worth in the electronics, technical and service biz) as to be worthless. Why they won't give the Slingbox its own forum is baffling. It freaks out the small number of users of competing products begging for help in the streaming forum with their problem units. Is it because they don't advertise here? You're dealing with the first major (working) item of its type .... a' la Tivo. Checkout the streaming media area of AVS should you have any interest.

P.S. It would be a great device for soldiers heading overseas that want to keep up with stuff at home. I know that some are already using it for that very use!
Since it's so stable, they don't have to worry about it being thousands of miles away and no way to get physical access to it to fix it. It runs really well on a cheap laptop too. The soldiers in many parts of the world have access to broadband and they can even hook the thing up to a camera for live images on demand from their home. A couple of Marines have told me that it really helps with homesickness. I have mine attached to a ReplayTV 5040 and have a ten dollar camera plugged into one of the inputs on the back .... so not only can I control the 5040 as though I were sitting there in my living room, I have live images and sound of the front of my home for security (and I didn't have to buy special software or a network camera). Now that's so cooooollll !!!
post #117 of 274 Old 08-22-2005, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Very excited about the slingbox...We bought one for my dad since he is a huge yankee fan and travels about 50% for work.

One quick question...
So if the slingbox plugs into the output on my RTV; a:does it have a passthrough to head onto the TV and b:whatever the remote sling user or couch user selects,both users would have to see, right? Any suggestions for the best way of setting that up?

I don't forsee it being a huge issue, but I was just curious...

Thanks!
-Scott
post #118 of 274 Old 08-22-2005, 08:37 AM

Anyone watch a fast moving spots event like basketball? Wondering if there will be a blur (on the ball) similiar to the slow resolutions of a cheap LCD TV.

I usually always don't do that
post #119 of 274 Old 08-22-2005, 08:37 AM

Anyone watch a fast moving spots event like basketball? Wondering if there will be a blur (on the ball) similiar to the slow resolutions of a cheap LCD TV.

post #120 of 274 Old 08-22-2005, 08:38 AM

Anyone watch a fast moving sports event like basketball? Wondering if there will be a blur (on the ball) similiar to the slow resolutions of a cheap LCD TV.

Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page