Anyone here hip to "Slingbox"? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 274 Old 11-17-2005, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've always found it ironic that Sony has squelled like a stuck pig that people are illegally copying their music, while at the same time selling recorders that allow consumers to do just that.

Don't sweat petty things, and don't pet sweaty things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 274 Old 11-19-2005, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I think I ended up getting a sweet deal on this...

I ordered from CC on the website going through ebates to get a 2% cash back and there was a CC $20 GC with MIR. We have ended up in Raleigh the PO was nice enough to include a $40 off $200 purchase coupon for CC in the new address packet. The original purchase has a problem in it didn't work. So heading back to CC for an exchange with coupon in hand I asked if they could apply the coupon or if I'd have to return the original and repurchase. They applied the coupon to the original. I get $249-$40(coupon)-$20 (CC GC) so even after taxes my purcase was around $200.

I'm happy, now if I could just hook the thing up! That's on hold until I get to a place where I can do that.
post #183 of 274 Old 11-21-2005, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've left messages about the slingboxes before. I have purchased 4 of them (3 as Christmas gifts).

They are spread all throughout the country, so all of us can watch whatever we want to ... region free!

The only limitation is uplink bandwidth. It's tough watching football games out of state. Too much movement. You can set the slingbox to HIGH MOTION but it looks like Vaseline is smeared all over the picture. News and soap operas are fine.

Still, it was good enough for me to cancel DTV and SundayTicket.

I am watching mine now from work. It controls my HD-Cable Tivo (Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000.) Slingmedia has the codes for nearly every device out there.

Bottom line. WORKS GREAT !!! So well, that I just heard that Tivo is going to jump into the fray.
post #184 of 274 Old 11-21-2005, 08:02 PM

Got mine in today and tried setting it up. Appears to work fine, but I can't seem to get the software to automatically configure the Buffalo AirStation WRG54 to port forward. Anybody know if this is possible, or am I going to have to figure out how to do it manually?
post #185 of 274 Old 11-22-2005, 12:44 PM

I'm very interested in Slingbox. I'm hoping for a sale before pulling the trigger, however, it looks like the prices are remaining fairly close to Manufacturers Suggested Retail of ~$250 (even on eBay :rolleyes: ). Anybody know of a good place to buy this? Any Black Friday sales?
post #186 of 274 Old 11-22-2005, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfour7th
I'm very interested in Slingbox. I'm hoping for a sale before pulling the trigger, however, it looks like the prices are remaining fairly close to Manufacturers Suggested Retail of ~$250 (even on eBay :rolleyes: ). Anybody know of a good place to buy this? Any Black Friday sales?
uh, mesage #164 in this thread maybe?
post #187 of 274 Old 11-22-2005, 01:47 PM

Another great thing about Slingbox is the provided remote control software. This is a much better solution than DVArchive or RTVrc for this purpose...not that those are bad products, they're both excellent, but the Slingbox gives you the ability to access all Replay menu functions through the SlingPlayer just as if you were on the couch at home. I was able to request an IVS show and start the download from my work PC, and monitor the progress of the download throughout the day. I can also schedule new recordings and edit/remove existing ones or conflicts, something which can be tricky with DVArchive. This is just an awesome product!
post #188 of 274 Old 11-22-2005, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbie
Got mine in today and tried setting it up. Appears to work fine, but I can't seem to get the software to automatically configure the Buffalo AirStation WRG54 to port forward. Anybody know if this is possible, or am I going to have to figure out how to do it manually?
nobbie,

Hi - have you tried enabling UPnP on your AirStation? If you have, and it's still not working, you will have to do the manual steps. We are always adding routers to our help pages (http://www.slingmedia.com/support/portforward.php) but I don't see the Buffalo unit there yet. I've asked someone to make sure it's added by tomorrow.

In the meantime, you are welcome to contact our support department for step-by-step help, or shoot me an email personally if you'd like.

Best,
Jeremy
post #189 of 274 Old 11-22-2005, 08:38 PM

Well, we arrived in Delhi and I am (pleasantly) surprised to report that the Slingbox is coming over loud and clear across the 10,000 miles in between. Picture quality is obviously a compromise at ~300kbps but it is very watchable.

Had good results from London too on the way over - kids were watching their US shows while awake and jetlagged at 3am GMT. My wife is amazed and Slingbox has definitely passed her test - she didn't think it would work ("a combination of bleeding edge technology and a reliance on the Indian infrastructure = won't work when we need it").

I'd now put Slingbox up there with ReplayTV in terms of Wife Approval Factor.

Unfortunately something this good will no doubt get banned (think Commercial Skip) ... someone will decide it is "illegal rebroadcasting" or something.

Grab 'em while you still can!

Sample screengrabs below:-
LL
LL
LL
post #190 of 274 Old 11-22-2005, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Schneider
uh, mesage #164 in this thread maybe?

Thanks Clay but the Target sale at $229+tax ($247.42 OTD here in Michigan) is not the deal I am looking for. I have passed up new Slingbox's for $220+no tax waiting for something ~$200. I'll let you know when I find it...
post #191 of 274 Old 11-22-2005, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Thanks Clay but the Target sale at $229+tax ($247.42 OTD here in Michigan) is not the deal I am looking for. I have passed up new Slingbox's for $220+no tax waiting for something ~$200. I'll let you know when I find it...
In post #177 I outline a way, not sure about how easy it is to find those CC coupons, but I should be moving again and may stumble across another $40 off. You gotta be tricky and PM to target and then try to do the coupon, you'd get it for around $180. I wish I had seen that first!
post #192 of 274 Old 11-23-2005, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandingo
Well, we arrived in Delhi and I am (pleasantly) surprised to report that the Slingbox is coming over loud and clear across the 10,000 miles in between. Picture quality is obviously a compromise at ~300kbps but it is very watchable.

Had good results from London too on the way over - kids were watching their US shows while awake and jetlagged at 3am GMT. My wife is amazed and Slingbox has definitely passed her test - she didn't think it would work ("a combination of bleeding edge technology and a reliance on the Indian infrastructure = won't work when we need it").
Mandingo,

Glad to hear its working so well for you! Don't forget to enter our "Who Slung the Furthest?" contest! http://www.slingmedia.com/community/contest.php

Best,
Jeremy
post #193 of 274 Old 11-23-2005, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Don't forget to enter our "Who Slung the Furthest?" contest!
Love to Jeremy - how about me sitting outside the Taj Mahal watching the Seattle local traffic report?

However I need to register my Slingbox to win and I'm a bit far away from it right now to look underneath it for the serial number :D
post #194 of 274 Old 11-25-2005, 04:36 AM

Liked: 15
One of CompUsa's giveaways:

Slingbox Giveaway
post #195 of 274 Old 11-25-2005, 06:57 PM

Quote:
I just purchased this an hour ago from amazon for the price you are looking for.
post #196 of 274 Old 11-25-2005, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yup. Amazon has it for 199
post #197 of 274 Old 11-25-2005, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee
I just purchased this an hour ago from amazon for the price you are looking for.
Excellent! Thanks for the heads up Refugee! :D
post #198 of 274 Old 11-26-2005, 09:56 AM

How soon will it take the MPA, NFL, Networks... to put a stop to these type of devices and services just like the ReplayTV 5000 and earlier. The money greedy people will say just like the Replay TV that there is no way to prevent some one from sharing with someone who has not purchased NFL Sunday Ticket, HBO, Premium channels, Out of market blacked out games, Pay-per_View... and streaming them to someone else. They will put a halt to it before embracing the potential expanded audiences.

I better hurry up and get mine soon.
post #199 of 274 Old 11-27-2005, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It looks like Tiger Direct also has them for $199 plus $10 shipping.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...P=OTC-CNETFEED
post #200 of 274 Old 11-29-2005, 06:37 PM

Wow!
Caught up with this thread late Friday afternoon... ordered one from Amazon, received it Monday morning (thanks, free Amazon Prime trial!!), set it up Monday night, and successfully streamed at work this morning! Very cool.

However, my main reason for posting was to confirm that the UPnP auto config for the Buffalo Airstation appears to be working, as Jeremy mentioned above! Very impressive service. Thanks!!
post #201 of 274 Old 12-07-2005, 08:37 AM

After 3 months of use I would recommend this as a solid product which makes a great companion to your replay.
post #202 of 274 Old 12-07-2005, 05:27 PM

In case you missed the last Slingbox sale at Amazon (I did :mad: ) they have them again for $199.99--AR this time with free super saver shipping.

That continues to be the best price I've seen although this time around you have to contend with a silly rebate. :rolleyes:
post #203 of 274 Old 12-07-2005, 09:14 PM

Just downloaded the update. I have it connected to my Replay and it works flawlessly. I took it to the other side of Florida and it also worked fine. Now we have to wait for component inputs. Great product and wonderful service. David. The pq seems better with the update.
post #204 of 274 Old 12-08-2005, 09:54 AM

Amazon price is now $205 after a $50 rebate, and Tiger Direct is $249. I was hoping to get one under $200.
post #205 of 274 Old 12-08-2005, 06:13 PM

I'm interested in streaming content from my DirecTV DVR or cable company DVR to my laptop on my home network. I probably don't need access from the internet.
Is a Slingbox the best solution for wireless TV within a home?
post #206 of 274 Old 12-09-2005, 02:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I've started to read about this product and am very interested. I wonder how this works? Do you have to log on to an Internet site that your Slingbox is transmitting to? Or do you connect your PC directly to the Slingbox over the Internet? Also, is it easy to change channels and could you record programs on your PC? Thanks for any help. Any additional comments will be greatly appreciated.

HD-A1 + XBOX Add-On + PS3 = Format Neutral
post #207 of 274 Old 12-09-2005, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by web1b
I'm interested in streaming content from my DirecTV DVR or cable company DVR to my laptop on my home network. I probably don't need access from the internet.
Is a Slingbox the best solution for wireless TV within a home?
I actually met the VP of Business Development at Sling earlier this week. That was the original application for which they designed the product, i.e., watching TV while working on their laptop.
post #208 of 274 Old 12-09-2005, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutrbug
I actually met the VP of Business Development at Sling earlier this week. That was the original application for which they designed the product, i.e., watching TV while working on their laptop.
Good, but I'm wondering of there is another product that will do a better picture over a LAN WIFI connection? I don't want to have to pay for the degraded internet streaming picture quality that I may not use.
I'm looking for the best possible picture at the remote monitor or laptop short of running new video or coaxial cable all over the house.
post #209 of 274 Old 12-09-2005, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by web1b
Good, but I'm wondering of there is another product that will do a better picture over a LAN WIFI connection? I don't want to have to pay for the degraded internet streaming picture quality that I may not use.
I'm looking for the best possible picture at the remote monitor or laptop short of running new video or coaxial cable all over the house.
How about DVArchive?

--
-mS
post #210 of 274 Old 12-09-2005, 01:06 PM

Slingbox is now available from ebuyer.com for $199, with free shipping.

My experience has been that in home, wireless viewing has been just as good as wireless streaming between Replaytv & DVArchive...

Edit: try the link again, should now point to the US site... the old link worked from work, but seemed to point to the UK from home, weird!
Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page