RTV and FIOS TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 98 Old 01-21-2006, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has any else tried Verizon's FIOS TV? Inparticular with respect to making it work with ReplayTV (read: making the RTV control the FIOS TV STB)? Seems like a really good deal on price, in addition to lightning fast internet access.

I did a seacrh on FIOS but found nothing.

Thanks

3RTV over ethernet + DVA show server over buffalo wireless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 Old 03-22-2006, 09:35 AM

Wondering the same thing ---- it appears that the STB is a Motorola so the RTV should be able to control it....

but are the FiOS TV channel listings available for ReplayTV?

I checked Zap2It and they have the listing -- checked a friends location which is different than mine since FiOS TV won't be available until next month.

Does RTV still use the Zap2It feed?
post #3 of 98 Old 03-22-2006, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yes, my buddy has FIOS and ReplayTV. They work great together.
post #4 of 98 Old 04-05-2006, 11:33 AM

I install FiOS at home and I am able to access the Internet.

I setup my Dlink DI-624 router with Port Forwarding and other preferences
that were configured the same as my previous DI-524 Dlink Router.

However I can accept shows, but they do not transfer. Getting Error message "Unable to contact network. Please check your network."

I have done the following...

1). Verified Port Forwarding.
2). MAC Address
3). IP Setup on ReplayTVs.
4). Rebooted ALL IP Devices starting from the Internet working back.
5). Went to Test my IVS Show Transfer Connection. No problems.

The ONLY thing that I can think of is:
1). That Verizon is blocking Show Transferring.
(However my DSL Connection with Verizon was able to transfer shows, but could not receive emails from Poopli

2). I have two Routers that I configured into acting a Hubs.
(DI-524 and Netgear MR814)
a). Disabled DHCP
b). Disabled Port Forwarding.

IS it Verizon or my Network? Do I need to get new hubs?

Thanks
Mark
Sachse, TX
post #5 of 98 Old 08-10-2006, 02:00 PM

Any idea how he has them connected and if the RTV can control the STB for channel change?
post #6 of 98 Old 08-10-2006, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

MaxH has FIOS working with his Replays. He doesn't show up around here any more, but you can find him at www.poopli.com or www.planetreplay.com

Ed Qualls - Just Add Power
post #7 of 98 Old 08-16-2006, 07:55 AM

I have FIOS running with my Replay 4504's and a pair of Motorola QIP-2500's, I think. It works great.

The Replays control the FIOS boxes via IR blaster. It's reasonably fast compared with the old DCT units I had years ago last time I tried digital cable. In other words, when changing channels, the old channel doesn't go away until just before the new one appears. There is no blue screen or anything like that.

I can't remember what IR blaster setting I used. The Motorola QIP series doesn't show up on there at all, as I recall, and I think I just used one of the first Motorola boxes that were listed, it sounded common, and it worked fine. Still does.

This is the first time I have had to use the IR blasters (based on my old experiences with cable boxes I hate them) so they are a little annoying. From time to time the IR blaster would fall off and then I tape a bunch of crap. So I fixed that with metallic duct tape. They don't come off anymore.

The guide is pretty accurate. For my area (Falls Church, VA) the Verizon FIOS is one of the options, which was a nice surprise. Some of the Spanish channels were swapped (World cup time was annoying, but who would ever try to tape a soccer game, it's tough enough to time football). Everything else there seems to work fine.

The data side is simple. FIOS ran a 100BT ethernet port to the middle of my house. That goes into a router and a switch. The router they gave me (DLink) worked fine, and it's sitting there in case I ever decide to try it. I have a Linksys running DDWRT instead. If you use Poopli or whatever you would have to open some ports in it to forward to your Replays, duh.

Data interface to the world is PPPoE instead of DHCP, which is annoying. I hear that some newer subscriptions are provisioned with DHCP instead. That takes less overhead and would probably make my router work better, so I'm looking forward to it.

There's also a NIM box, which is used for the VOD. That's the only thing I sorta don't like, I can't easily record VOD as they don't show up on regular channels. But I don't have much reason to record VOD anyway, since it's on whenever I want and has FF and RW buttons. The only problem is sometimes shows will expire before I have a chance to watch 'em.

FIOS has had some problems with VOD. Vendors offer a lot more shows on VOD than Verizon has been offering, which is kinda annoying. Go look on Showtime's site and compare that to the VOD offerings. Anyway, that's a bit out of scope here.

The short of it is, FIOS works fine with my Replays. I like it a lot better than I did Cox, since all the channels are quite clear. It's also cheaper. With Cox I had the analog service, now I have digital with two boxes and much better picture and network speeds for the same price. Actually two bucks a month less, I think.

Good luck.

Jim
post #8 of 98 Old 08-16-2006, 07:58 AM

1. nded - I have wondered this for a long time. What do I get out of running WiRNS with my 4504's? I just want to know before I set up my head examination appointment.

2. How am I still a new member after being here more than 4 years? Just cause I don't post a lot? Crazy.
post #9 of 98 Old 08-16-2006, 08:32 AM

My Fios is going in tomorrow and I plan to use my replay 5080 as well as their HD-DVR. JUst need to figure out the best way to route it. I will let you know once I do. Jimmy if you can remember the code you used for the motorola box that would be great.

FYI I alreay have Fios internet, love it, but it is DHCP not PPoE thank god.
post #10 of 98 Old 08-16-2006, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Don't have much to add except that FIOS is going in soon at my place. Heck of a deal.
post #11 of 98 Old 08-16-2006, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Six weeks with FiOS and the most noticed improvement over cable broadband (aside from the obvious speed improvement) is the continuity of service. No more [several times a day] mini-outages lasting from a few seconds to several minutes each. No more slowing down to a crawl when school lets out in the afternoon. It's always there, and it works! Can't wait for FiOS TV to become available in my area.

||||||||||||||| Soylent Green is.......PEOPLE! Or is it a Status Bar? Ah, it's a dessert topping!
post #12 of 98 Old 08-16-2006, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

you FIOS guys are so lucky... the bellsouth/cable duopoly here in the southeast sees us as the last money cow... they're sucking us dry for as long as they can.... 4mb down / 384 up for $52.95....
post #13 of 98 Old 08-16-2006, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjohns View Post

they're sucking us dry for as long as they can.... 4mb down / 384 up for $52.95....

Ouch! that money on Verizon FiOS would buy you 20 down, 5 up AND pay for a monthly (multi unit discount) Replay subscription.

||||||||||||||| Soylent Green is.......PEOPLE! Or is it a Status Bar? Ah, it's a dessert topping!
post #14 of 98 Old 08-16-2006, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep... that's the fee for cable 'broadband only'. If you want DSL you have to have Bell South phone service - total bill (with MINIMUM FEATURES) = $90+

So, cable plus SunRocket is cheaper... but it's still painful.

What's the price for FIOS data only? Maybe now that ATT is buying Bell South, Verizon will be competing here too?
post #15 of 98 Old 08-16-2006, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjohns View Post

What's the price for FIOS data only? Maybe now that ATT is buying Bell South, Verizon will be competing here too?

For $35/mo you get 10 down 2 up, $45/mo, 20 down 5 up. Free installation, free wireless router, free inside wiring to router (no fishing inside walls though) free first month. Free upgrade of pots to fiber (my basic pots is an additional $20, or so, per month) with a free UPS for the pots. Actually this was a superb deal for me since my Replay pots connect bill ran upwards of $15 per month. so now I have superb broadband for an additional out of pocket expense of only $20 per month. $99 cancellation charge within first year, actually that's to pay for the "free" router.

post #16 of 98 Old 08-16-2006, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Whoa. That's just amazing. See, I love my sunrocket... so I'd be saving about 20 bux and getting a 4x better connection. That's just sick...*sigh*.
post #17 of 98 Old 08-19-2006, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubro View Post

Jimmy if you can remember the code you used for the motorola box that would be great.

IR Blaster code 0476 seems to work for the Motorola QIP-2500.
post #18 of 98 Old 08-22-2006, 06:38 AM

I am having a real quirky issue, I just had FiOS installed yesterday, I have 2 5040's, one Motorola 62XX series HD FiIOS box and 1 regular (can't remember model #) FiOS box. On the 62XX series setup, i changed RTV to FiOS, Video 1 input - nothing (just like when I had Comcast), Video 2 - S-Video and RCA audio. RTV connected and downloaded the new guide but I had no picture or sound. Double checked all the settings and started trouble shooting.

Disconnected everything (DVI, RF connections etc) except for the S-Video and changed settings back to Comcast and then back to FiOS, got a picture and sound but guide was totally blank, channels looked correct, but no info was in the guide itself. Could change channels fine etc.

Tried a Setup -> connect to RTV service but still no guide.

I was thinking I might want to do a netconnect? (Can't remember how to do that?)

After troubleshooting, everytime I was able to get the progam guide the video/audio would not be working. Very strange, haven't seen anything like this.

The other TV (not HD) works fine with RTV.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
post #19 of 98 Old 08-22-2006, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

post #20 of 98 Old 11-29-2006, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone had show sharing issues with FIOS? I wasn't sure since they tend to block certain ports.

Also, IR blaster works fine with the boxes they supply?
post #21 of 98 Old 11-30-2006, 11:57 AM

I came here to post and ask about fios, and look at this! I don't have any unanswered questions. I'm going to go with it, and i'll report back as far as what i get as far as DHCP/PPPOE and cable boxes, out here on long island (NY).

thanks
Eric
post #22 of 98 Old 11-30-2006, 07:05 PM

I have FIOS for internet and haven't had any issues with sharing via the ReplayTV.

I didn't go for the FIOSTV due to the STB requirement at every TV location -- -but I called Comcrap and they matched FIOSTVs price -- so didn't have to change anything out which was a bonus and still pay the same.

I'm at 15down/2up -- but supposedly we are getting upgraded to 20/5 sometime soon - and hopefully changed from PPPoe to DCHP. Had minor speed issues at the beginning of Nov (9down/2up only --- as I said minor) -- but now its back at 15/2. Love it!
post #23 of 98 Old 12-04-2006, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
FIOS has arrived in my area. Is anyone unhappy with their FIOS TV service? I was thinking about making the switch from cable.

HTPC Enthusiast
post #24 of 98 Old 12-04-2006, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaysideBas View Post

Ouch! that money on Verizon FiOS would buy you 20 down, 5 up AND pay for a monthly (multi unit discount) Replay subscription.

Haha... Alaska Comm. Systems is charging that much for 1 down 320 up.
post #25 of 98 Old 12-07-2006, 06:59 AM

kno1uknow - I am having the same trouble, did you find a fix? I posted a new thread about this. What's curious, is one of my 2 boxes is fine, the other sounds just like yours.

eric
post #26 of 98 Old 12-20-2006, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Anyone using an older replay tv unit 2000/3000 or showstopper to control the FIOS STB (motorola?) with IR blaster? The local FIOS channel guide is available for download I just really don't want to give up my good ole trusty Showstopper. TIA.

Derek
post #27 of 98 Old 01-18-2007, 01:51 PM

This is exactly what I wanted to hear! I have two 5040s and was afraid they wouldn't work after I got FiOS TV. Thanks everyone!

I do have a question though, sort of off topic. Does anyone know if the FiOS installer will wire the house with Cat5? When I called about installation they said for $50 each the installer will install TV outlets in different rooms, either outside the house or fishing through walls. I asked about also wiring for ethernet and they didn't know. Anyone get this done? I'm just North of Boston in case it matters. Thanks!

The more bullets in your belt the more trouble you can shoot.
post #28 of 98 Old 01-19-2007, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Here in NYC the installation includes running one network cable to your computer room, where it attaches to the router. The FIOS terminates at an interface box on the side of the house, then it's cat5 all the way. The UPS goes inside the house and you have to provide a convenient outlet for it to plug into ( I think it has an 8 or 10 foot AC cord).

post #29 of 98 Old 01-19-2007, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

I'm in Dallas,TX,and I have exactly the same connections as BaysideBas.

I've had the Fios up and running for about 2 months now, and sofar its been an incredibly smooth transition,apart from having tochange the DNS for each RTV device. But I also switched to a third party DNS, so if I ever have to switch ISP again I won't even have to do that.

I did turn off the wireless in the Fios (Actiontec) router and continue to use my Buffalos into that.

3RTV over ethernet + DVA show server over buffalo wireless
post #30 of 98 Old 01-30-2007, 08:43 PM

What channel numbers does FIOS have? Are they in the 4 digit area? I am having a situation now with DISH and my locals in the 8000 area. THey remap on the RTV at around 490 - 577 for the actual 8001 - 8103 but the REPLAY cant work with remapped channels with DVArchive.

IF FIOS has these High remapped channels with the Replaytv, I will be in the same boat, in regards with DVArchive.

ANyone else have FIOS, ReplayTV, and USE DVArchive, how is the remapping issue with regards to 4 digit channels i.e, 8,000
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page