AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rm -rf *.* View Post

Might also fry it.

IIRC, it's more than just an extra input, there's some different hardware in there.

Could be. The spec's didn't look all that different than a ShowStopper. And, you wouldn't think that they'd want to spend much on development for that single product. Although, I don't understand why it has three inputs instead of two. They could have had only one in the back (with S-Video) and one in the front so that it might could have used the same hardware and software...

Henry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2008, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdonzis View Post

Could be. The spec's didn't look all that different than a ShowStopper. And, you wouldn't think that they'd want to spend much on development for that single product. Although, I don't understand why it has three inputs instead of two. They could have had only one in the back (with S-Video) and one in the front so that it might could have used the same hardware and software...

Henry

That would have been too simple.

Still no news from New Zealand.
If we ever get any, we'll be sure to let you know.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:37 PM

Henry,

I have a PV-SS2710 that I can pull the drive on and image. What would you like me to use to create the image? And did I hear correctly that someone figured out how to get these 2710's up to version 3? Something about linux involved is all I remember hearing, lol. I'll obviously have to search the threads. I knew I should have bookmarked that! I can provide pics of the inputs but if I recall correctly, one input is referenced just for s-video with the audio tied to the other input. Then there is the third set of composite RCA's; but these are outputs so you can use the 'save to vcr' feature.

Edit: Ahh, yeah, the Line3 inputs on the FRONT. duh!
Old 02-23-2008, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeBePlaying View Post

Henry,

I have a PV-SS2710 that I can pull the drive on and image. What would you like me to use to create the image? And did I hear correctly that someone figured out how to get these 2710's up to version 3? Something about linux involved is all I remember hearing, lol. I'll obviously have to search the threads. I knew I should have bookmarked that! I can provide pics of the inputs but if I recall correctly, one input is referenced just for s-video with the audio tied to the other input. Then there is the third set of composite RCA's; but these are outputs so you can use the 'save to vcr' feature.

Edit: Ahh, yeah, the Line3 inputs on the FRONT. duh!

First, people have posted frequently (even in this thread) that you can't update a 2710 to verison 3. I can certainly see in the fact that it has 3 video inputs that it couldn't use any of the current software. Obviously there was a special build of the software to support the 2710 being different, and they never updated that special build (that is, they never made a special build out of the newer software to support the 2710)...

Second, getting the image is quite easy. You use RTVPatch to create a backup of the system partition, then ZIP that file that it creates, then upload it to me (I'll give you the upload address). But, what I REALLY need is for you to setup a bunch of recordings on the 2710 before you remove the hard drive and make me the image. I basically need one of every kind of recording. So, I need a one-time show recording and a repeat show recording and a manual recording and a theme recording. And, to fully support the video inputs, I would like a recording setup for video 1, 2, and 3. And, of course I would need some guaranteed and some non-guaranteed recordings. So, if you could program all of these different recordings before removing the drive, that is how I would get the information necessary. And, of course, I would also need some recorded shows to be already on the hard drive as well. I don't really need a bunch of different recorded shows, although having a recorded movie would be nice. And, then I would need to know what all the recordings were that you setup so I could match the hard drive data with how you programmed the recordings...

Does that sound like a problem?

Henry

P.S. I'm very excited!
Old 02-24-2008, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a PV-SS2710 (...) And did I hear correctly that someone figured out how to get these 2710's up to version 3? Something about linux involved is all I remember hearing, lol. I'll obviously have to search the threads. I knew I should have bookmarked that!

I think you might be thinking of the Linux Boot disk method of running RTV_Patch.

As far as anyone knows, there never was an RTV-O/S v3.x for the SS2710.

If it did exist, your SS2710 would have already downladed it via modem on a nightly guide update.

If you try to install RTV-O/S v3.02 for the RTV-3k/PVHS ShowStopper on your SS2710, you run the risk of perminately damaging some of the hardware (eprom, controler chips, etc) on first boot up. If this were to happen then your SS2710 would only be useful as a doorstop from then on, no matter what OS you put on the disk.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:05 AM

Quote:

So, I need a one-time show recording and a repeat show recording and a manual recording and a theme recording. And, to fully support the video inputs, I would like a recording setup for video 1, 2, and 3. And, of course I would need some guaranteed and some non-guaranteed recordings.

Do you want one of every type for each of the inputs, or could I do one of every flavor just for the RF modulated input and then manual records for the composite inputs? If you need all flavors for each input I would have to change my input settings to a cable STB, right? I don't have a cable STB, so I could try spitting some video out of a DVD and have my Replay think there is a STB there (if you even need the scheduled event to actually record the content.) Do the scheduled events need to actually have recorded when I complete the image using RTVPatch? And you mentioned just the system partition? Sorry, I want to make sure I have this right.

Program these recordings: (Please trim or expand the list as needed in your reply)
future guaranteed one-time RF
future guaranteed repeat RF
future guaranteed manual RF
future guaranteed theme RF
future non-guaranteed one-time RF
future non-guaranteed repeat RF
future non-guaranteed manual RF
future non-guaranteed theme RF
completed guaranteed one-time RF
completed guaranteed repeat RF
completed guaranteed manual RF
completed guaranteed theme RF
completed non-guaranteed one-time RF
completed non-guaranteed repeat RF
completed non-guaranteed manual RF
completed non-guaranteed theme RF
repeat for each succeeding input?

With all of the ReplayTV lovers out there, tell me again why we didn't get together and buy the IP and software from SONICblue when D&M did, or for that matter recently when DNNA sold it?
Old 02-24-2008, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you want one of every type for each of the inputs, or could I do one of every flavor just for the RF modulated input and then manual records for the composite inputs? If you need all flavors for each input I would have to change my input settings to a cable STB, right? I don't have a cable STB, so I could try spitting some video out of a DVD and have my Replay think there is a STB there (if you even need the scheduled event to actually record the content.) Do the scheduled events need to actually have recorded when I complete the image using RTVPatch? And you mentioned just the system partition? Sorry, I want to make sure I have this right.

Yeah, I really don't need different types for different inputs. I just need to be able to see all the differences. So, setting up all kinds of recordings for the RF input would be great. Then, if you setup the video inputs as manual recordings, then that should make things easier. Assuming that the 2710 works like newer Replays, just setup Video 1, 2, and 3 as other devices. Then simply program manual recordings since it won't have any channel guide. If you could be sure and mix a repeat manual recording and a one time manual recording, and mix a guaranteed manual recording and a non-guaranteed manual recording, any way you like just so that they are different, that would be great. Just to let you know, the Replay doesn't know if you actually have what you say connected or not. So, if you wanted to tell it that you had a cable box on video 1 and a satellite on video 2 and an other device (VCR) on video 3, then it would simply download channel guide info for the cable box and satellite. Since I only need scheduled recordings and not actual recordings, then it doesn't matter if it is really working or not...

I need for NONE of the scheduled events to have recorded so that I can see the schedule programming. But, I also need some recorded shows so that I can see how that is stored as well. The 2710's scheduled recordings appear to be quite similar to other Replays, but the recorded show information seems to be quite different. So, if I could also have a bunch of different recorded shows (guaranteed, non-guaranteed, one time, repeat, theme, etc.) that would be great.

And, yes, I only need the system partition. In RTVPatch there is a button for "Backup Source Drive". That will allow you to create a file which will save the system partition image. Then you can ZIP that file to make it smaller and send upload that to me. Oh, and it would be nice if you had some deleted shows on the image as well, which probably would be true already, but it would be nice if they were freshly deleted so that they would still be deleted on the image rather than reused for one of your experiments...

Thanks!

Henry
Old 02-25-2008, 10:51 PM

Hi Henry,

Ok, that clears it up for me. Thanks. I'll set this all up and let you know.

Oh, and for everyone reading, this question was not rhetorical. :-)

With all of the ReplayTV lovers out there, tell me again why we didn't get together and buy the IP and software from SONICblue when D&M did, or for that matter recently when DNNA sold it?
Old 02-26-2008, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

because we didn't set our e-bay autobid ammount high enough.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Now that Extract GUI has been revived and posted at SourceForge, I have posted version 74 of extract_rtv5 at SourceForge which supports running under Extract GUI as well as RTVExplorer!

In order to accomplish this, the -dv option has been restored to its original output format. And, new options, -df, -dl, -dsf, -dsl, -udf, -udl, -udsf, and -udsl, have been added to output the full show information previously added to the verbose output options.

In order to use it with Extract GUI, you will need to overwrite the extract_rtv.exe in the same folder containing extract.exe with this new version of extract_rtv5.exe being sure to rename it extract_rtv.exe rather than extract_rtv5.exe...

Henry

P.S. In addition, this version also includes the source fix that allows it to compile properly on newer variants of Linux.

P.P.S. I'm still waiting to get images from anyone's PV-SS2710!
Old 07-09-2008, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Version 75 is posted at SourceForge.net. This version displays the file date format when using -d and -x year/month/day in the hopes that it would cause RTVExplorer to generate it correctly in the XML file. And, while it did NOT change how RTVExplorer generates the XML file, it does cause the date column to sort much better.

However, I also added for the -dx and -udx options to allow a DVArchive XML version number, like 43, 45, or 50, to set the Replay show type (i.e. -dx50). This allows creating DVArchive XML files even from ShowStopper hard drives.

Finally, I added some changes to allow compiling on 64-bit Linux variants.

Henry
Old 07-10-2008, 06:25 PM

Thanks for the work. Great tools for saving the drive info.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Version 76 is posted at SourceForge.net. This version combines features from Guide2XML and GuideParser5 where when using the -ds options it now takes advantage of having access to the show's channel information. That is, for example, when using the -dsx option, the generated XML files will now containe the show's category, channel ID, and channel name. I also added for the -ds option to output the number of categories, channels, and shows contained in the snapshot.

I also added for extracting using the -dx option to fill in the XML file's channel ID with the current time so that all of the shows extracted will be grouped together. I had also noticed that using a channel ID of zero would sometimes cause problems, so using the current time works more like DVArchive downloading.

Henry
Old 11-24-2008, 04:04 AM

I was watching a show and my Replay 5040 freaked out. I had to unplug it and after it came back I had to input personal settings again. (This leads me to think it messed up the system files) I then noticed there were no shows - my recorded shows were all gone. Nothing really new - So, I've used extract_rt5 to copy over all the ("unlinked") shows to my computer. However, it doesn't seem to find the show descriptions I need in order to make the respective XML files. I've tried all the options I know to try and looked everywhere I know to answer this question. If nothing works, I'll run an integrety scan, as is, and put everything back together. I just wanted to see if there was something else I could do prior.

Please offer any help, if possible.

Thanks.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:45 PM

Hello people of earth. this is my first post.

STATEMENT OF PROBLEM :
2 years ago i sent my Replay TV to someone who upgraded my 5040 to 80G. it worked fine until 2 weeks ago when the problems began. i had filled it up, and got messages saying to take some shows off if i wanted to add new ones. i did this for a few days, then it began long delays between remote commands and action. finally, it began skipping during replay (like a broken record) and would re-boot. in the end it said to do a "quick setup". but when i tried, it always came back with errors, and that was all it would do. no access to recorded shows, no channel guide. just "do a quick setup" (kaput).

i got another Replay TV (complete box) from eBay, so i'm back to skipping commercials. but on the defunct unit were some manual recordings i had made from VHS tapes of my dad, who is now gone. foolishly i had not burned them to DVD when i could have. So it is important to me to try to recover at least these, what do i call them, files? recordings?

WHAT TO DO ?
so i began reading Replay TV forums etc., in earnest to try to retrieve them. i have been at it for days. I have downloaded RTVPatch_2.5.3.exe, DVArchive 3.2, RTV Explorer (apparently a newer version of 1.6 because it talks about having addressed some glitches in 1.6 and is copyrighted 2005 by Amreplay (Alex), and Extract_rtv_76 which containes extract_rtv5.exe. I am running XP on aP4 2.6G 74G machine.

I have come to these conclusions :

DVArchive.jar is to be used if i am connected from my computer to a Replay TV box thru my router :
RTVPatch is to be used (in conjunction with a Replay TV HD image) for upgrading or copying an existing Replay TV HD to a new one.
Extract_rtv5.exe is a DOS program used to copy or move Mpeg files from a Replay TV HD to another HD, like a computer's.
RTV Explorer is a graphical user interface for Extract_rtv5.exe, for those of us who have forgotten much about DOS (or don't like it).

Before i go on to explain what i have tried and what the results have been, i better ask, have i exceeded some yakking limit ? or can i go on ?
Old 01-07-2009, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Blockwall, I recommend that you continue with your story. You have come to the right place for advice. You will get some good advice and the more info you provide on what you have done so far, the better. I am no guru on what to do next but you will receive the straight scoop from some real experts on this forum. I can tell you that DVArchive is a super program for transferring files from Replaytv's that are connected on a LAN. It just may be possible that you could access the recorded programs on your failing unit and possibly transfer them to a PC on your LAN. But I'll leave the advice for those in the know. Welcome, and please continue.

----------
Jim
Old 01-07-2009, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So far you are on the right track. You have correctly identified the different application's purposes...

I need to add that RTVExplorer can only provide its GUI interface if the hard drive contains show information. If the ReplayGuide is blank, as you explained, then RTVExplorer will not be able to provide any kind of interface. In this case, you have no choice but to dig into the command prompt extract_rtv5 which can at a minimum at least allow you to extract your recorded shows, like the manual recordings. Since extract_rtv5 is a command prompt application, it doesn't depend on any information being available (other than being able to read the Replay hard drive). So, if you don't have luck with RTVExplorer because the drive's guide information isn't available, then you can probably still use extract_rtv5 to at least extract your recordings. If you at least know the date of the manual recordings, then you can probably find them pretty easily (using the "-p2 -lv" option)...

In addition, if you read through this thread, extract_rtv5 has command line options which will try to find previously deleted show information files. Because you attempted to startup the Replay so many time the show information files may be long gone. However, only using the command prompt application, extract_rtv5, can you attempt to locate the deleted show information files (-u options, specifically -uds and -ud with -uds being preferred if it works and then using -ud)...

Anyway, you don't need the show information in order to actually extract the recorded shows from the hard drive. You can use the "-p2 -e" option to extract all the shows and then go through them to try to figure out what they are, or you can use the "-p2 -lv" option to try to identify the shows that you want by their size and date and then only extract the recordings that you think you want and then check them out. If you have the space, using the "-p2 -e" option to simply extract all the shows is best and then you can go through them to see what they are. You can use DVArchive to allow you to play them back through your working Replay so you can see what they really are. You can import the shows into DVArchive by just making up a title for the show, like Show1, Show2, etc., and then as you watch them use DVArchive to edit the show title to more correctly reflect the show...

Feel free to post more of your story and details of your problems...

Henry
Old 01-07-2009, 10:32 PM

THANKS FOLKS, HERE GOES
I pulled the HD from the defunct unit. strangely it is a 160G maxtor, but i only got 80 hrs. worth. i set the jumper to slave and put it on the IDE 1 cable (with my system HD as master, on the same cable). when i go into setup during the boot process, it shows them correctly (maxtor 120g (windows HD) primary IDE master & maxtor 160G primary IDE slave).

it boots fine. windows explorer sees drive C, but not the Replay TV HD. i understand from various forum threads that this is normal. I am the administrator. in administrative tools : computer management : disk management it shows both HD's, with the system disk as disk 0, and disk 1 unknown 152.66G un-allocated.

when i start RTVPatch (i was learning what it was for), it shows both HD's - a "maxtor 120 may be PC disk" and a "maxtor 160 Replay TV 4xxx/5xxx disk".
in the log box it shows the physical drive 1 detected size = 320173056 sectors. that was a relief, at least something saw the drive.

when i ran Extract_rtv5.exe -lv in a DOS window i got
THIS LOOKS LIKE A REPLAY TV SERIES 4000 OR 5000 DRIVE
ENABLING THE BYTE-REVERSING CODE
REPLAYTV DRIVE DETECTED: \\\\.\\PHYSICAL DRIVE 1
PARTITION TYPE START LENGTH
1 0x4d 2 1024000
2 0x4d 1024002 319147006
3 0x4d 320171008 2048
4 0x00 0 0
SELECT PARTITION :

if i select partition 1 it scrolls thru hundreds of lines (and i can't remember how to make it scroll by the screen)

if i select partition 2 i get
12/31/1969 19:00
./tmp
0 FILES, 0 BYTES

if i select partition 3 i get
12/31/1969 19:00
./tmp
06/02/2004 22:49
./photo
0 FILES, 0 BYTES

if i select partition 4 i get
INVALID PARTITION SELECTION

when i ran Extract_rtv5.exe -dr in a DOS window i got
THIS LOOKS LIKE A REPLAY TV SERIES 4000 OR 5000 DRIVE
ENABLING THE BYTE-REVERSING CODE
REPLAYTV DRIVE DETECTED: \\\\.\\PHYSICAL DRIVE 1
REPLAYCHANNELS v.5

when i put in other appendages (-udsdr etc.) i don't get anything useful (like the Mpeg files dir), or at least i can't see it.

So, i have tried RTV Explorer. it opens. i make sure (under settings) that it is aimed at the correct working folder (where extract_rtv5.exe is) and that i inserted the 5 in extract_rtv.exe and saved it. then in the disk and partitions pulldown i refresh the partitions, and in a pop up box it says "this looks like a Replay TV series 4000 or 5000 drive! enabling the byte-reversing code ReplayTV drive detected: \\\\.\\ physicaldrive1"
then from the disk and patitions pulldown i pick read directory from ReplayTV.
after 5-10 seconds it shows 3 folders : tmp, sys2, user

whether i use an appendage or not (in the settings) it's the same 3.
tmp is empty (at least nothing is displayed)
sys2 has a bunch of stuff in it (tmp, schemes, smoked glass, etc.)
user has a bunch of stuff in it (outbox, setup, user messages, etc.)

but i don't see my recordings !

I hope that my long winded description is useful to anyone interested in helping me. I sure would appreciate some advice.

I just read the responses from jweinel & hdonzis. but i had already written the above, so i'll send it along. about copying everything - my target drives are smaller than 160G. but supposedly i only had 80 hrs., so i don't know how much space i actually would need.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hours is dependent on the default recording quality you have the Replay configured. 160GB is 80 hours at Medium quality. It is 160 hours at Standard quality, and around 53 hours at High quality. So, assuming that your default recording quality is Medium, then 80 hours would be correct...

The recordings are on the second partition. It certainly looks like all your files got erased. Fortunately, extract_rtv5 can find deleted files. So, what you want to do is run "extract_rtv5 -p2 -u" to get a listing of your deleted shows. You can use "extract_rtv5 -p2 -u >deleted.txt" so that you can then run notepad on deleted.txt ("start deleted.txt" in the command prompt) to review the file. Now, that is going to show ALL the deleted recordings, including the ones that you manually deleted or got deleted for space. So, what you'll want to do is look at the dates of the files to see if you kind file files with the appropriate dates of the manual recordings you are looking for. In addition, you can run "extract_rtv5 -ud" and "extract_rtv5 -uds" to see if extract_rtv5 can find any deleted show information files to help with determining what the recording files are. If you have any luck with finding deleted show information files, then that will make a big difference in trying to recover you deleted recordings...

Henry
Old 01-09-2009, 02:18 PM

I recently used RTVExplorer w/ extract_rtv to recover shows from a hard drive which was starting to act flaky. Great tools!!!!

However, I had some strange behavior using RTVExplorer. Since I don't have all the details, you can take this info with a grain of salt, but I just wanted to mention it.

Since the RTVExplorer I had installed originally (don't even remember how long ago I installed it, the .exe has a timestamp of 2005) did not recover the XML files, I found that if I were to update the extract_rtv version, I could get the XML files. (Perhaps I was the one who put an older extract_rtv version there.)

However, when I used RTVExplorer to recover the shows (with extract_rtv version 76), for some reason, all the episode names had simply "1" in the XML files, even though I could see the episode names in RTVExplorer.

I went to an earlier version and still had problems with RTVExplorer creating the XML files. I found I could use the RTVExplorer recovered files with the extract_rtv -dx recovered XML files with no problems.

Sorry, but I did not bother to do any trouble shooting to find out what was potentially causing this, such as if it was simply I had an old RTVExplorer version or whatever.

I just wanted to throw this out there just in case someone else sees the same result (of a "1" in he episode name), they aren't the only one.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:10 PM

thanks henry. i did as you said and sure enough i was able to print out in note pad 8 pages of deleted files. they all end in either .evt, .ndx or .mpg. hooray! mpg's at last.
now, i says to myself, these be .mpg's that are on a HD that windows doesn't see, and i don't know how to direct DOS to that HD, and if i did, how do i tell it to pick a file and copy it to another HD.
or is now the time that RTVPatch comes into play ?
Old 01-09-2009, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrin View Post

I recently used RTVExplorer w/ extract_rtv to recover shows from a hard drive which was starting to act flaky. Great tools!!!!

However, I had some strange behavior using RTVExplorer. Since I don't have all the details, you can take this info with a grain of salt, but I just wanted to mention it.

Since the RTVExplorer I had installed originally (don't even remember how long ago I installed it, the .exe has a timestamp of 2005) did not recover the XML files, I found that if I were to update the extract_rtv version, I could get the XML files. (Perhaps I was the one who put an older extract_rtv version there.)

However, when I used RTVExplorer to recover the shows (with extract_rtv version 76), for some reason, all the episode names had simply "1" in the XML files, even though I could see the episode names in RTVExplorer.

I went to an earlier version and still had problems with RTVExplorer creating the XML files. I found I could use the RTVExplorer recovered files with the extract_rtv -dx recovered XML files with no problems.

Sorry, but I did not bother to do any trouble shooting to find out what was potentially causing this, such as if it was simply I had an old RTVExplorer version or whatever.

I just wanted to throw this out there just in case someone else sees the same result (of a "1" in he episode name), they aren't the only one.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm sure the original author would do something about it if he ever visited this forum!

When I first started playing with the RTVExplorer/extract_rtv5 combination, I didn't even know that it made XML files. I was having a hard time getting it to work at all (probably because it configures the extract_rtv5.exe name incorrectly) so I gave up. Since the source for extract_rtv5 was available, I picked it up and added the XML generate into there (the -dx option). I had no idea that RTVExplorer could even generate XML files at that time. I finally figured out about configuring RTVExplorer correctly and then saw that it generated pretty poor XML files, but at least they were something. However, if I had known that it did that, I might not have added it into extract_rtv5 instead...

Unfortunately, I haven't ever found the source to RTVExplorer and have never been able to contact the author. I have tried to change extract_rtv5 to feed RTVExplorer different information in the hopes that I could fix some of the things that don't seem to work correctly in RTVExplorer. For example, in a recent update of extract_rtv5 I tried changing the date format because I saw that RTVExplorer was displaying the dates incorrectly. I figured if I changed the format that I fed it, then they would come out correctly. However, changing the format that I fed it didn't make any difference at all with it displaying them incorrectly, so I have to assume that the problem is internal. Anyway, I hadn't notice about it not generating the XML files correct, however I never really played with that part of it much once I got extract_rtv5 generating XML files with the -dx option. extract_rtv5 generates much more complete XML files than RTVExplorer, anyways. But, it's good that you posted this info for others who want to use the GUI interface to recover their shows...

And, FYI, I guess another difference is that RTVExplorer only generates the XML files for the files you select to extract, whereas extract_rtv5 only has the option to generate ALL the XML files for all the shows that it knows about. However, you can use Guide2XML instead on the extracted snapshot file as it has the capability of only creating XML files for the specified shows. You have to put up with it being another command prompt application, but it will generate complete XML files just like extract_rtv5. I guess it depends on whether you want to have to go through all your XML files with extract_rtv5's -dsx option and delete the XML files that you don't care about...

Henry
Old 01-09-2009, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockwall View Post

thanks henry. i did as you said and sure enough i was able to print out in note pad 8 pages of deleted files. they all end in either .evt, .ndx or .mpg. hooray! mpg's at last.
now, i says to myself, these be .mpg's that are on a HD that windows doesn't see, and i don't know how to direct DOS to that HD, and if i did, how do i tell it to pick a file and copy it to another HD.
or is now the time that RTVPatch comes into play ?

Nope, DOS and RTVPatch have nothing to do with that. By the way, extract_rtv5 runs on many operating systems, so it really has nothing to do with DOS or Windows other than being able to run on those operating systems...

So, you can do one of two things. Looking at that listing, it should tell you the total size of the deleted files. If you have enough space, you can run "extract_rt5v -ur" to copy ALL of the deleted files from the Replay HD to the current directory you are executing the command prompt from...

If you don't have enough space, then you can use your listing to determine which files are candidates for recovering. You can then use "extract_rtv5 -r #" where you copy and paste the cluster number from the listing into the command prompt for the shows you want to recover. If you want to be able to use the shows with a Replay (like via DVArchive), you need to get all three files per show, .mpg, .ndx, and .evt. You could also use your listing to create a batch file to do it all for you automatically, or you can simply run it one file at a time manually...

Henry
Old 01-09-2009, 03:52 PM

i had tried to use the -r option before i replied, but foolishly was typing in the word "cluster" before the number.
i don't have enough room, so i used the -r 7, and it said
extracting file circular.mpg from inode 7
100%

now that is progress, i think.
if i could, i would rather bring the .mpg files onto my windows HD to play them, save the ones i want and burn them to DVD with Nero.

so, two questions. is that 100% restored .mpg file a file i can run in a player (like nero or windows media player) ?
and how do i get it moved ?
Old 01-09-2009, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i had tried to use the -r option before i replied, but foolishly was typing in the word "cluster" before the number.
i don't have enough room, so i used the -r 7, and it said
extracting file circular.mpg from inode 7
100%

now that is progress, i think.
if i could, i would rather bring the .mpg files onto my windows HD to play them, save the ones i want and burn them to DVD with Nero.

so, two questions. is that 100% restored .mpg file a file i can run in a player (like nero or windows media player) ?
and how do i get it moved ?

Congratulations! You successfully extracted the Replay live TV buffer!

#1, you can view the .mpg file with just about any player that supports MPEG-2. I don't think that you'll have much luck with WMP, but you could use Apple's QuickTime with the MPEG-2 plugin. Lots of people use the free VLC player from vlc.org...

#2, HUH? It's just a file sitting on your Windows hard drive. You move it like any other file sitting on your Windows hard drive. You can simply burn it to DVD and many modern DVD players would just play it. You would have to manipulated it like any video file if you wanted to make it into a "real" DVD...

Henry
Old 01-09-2009, 04:30 PM

well, i have to laugh at myself. i assumed the extracted file was still on the replay tv HD.
when i looked in the folder that holds extract_rtv5.exe, sure enough, it was sitting there, and it played.
so now i am happily extracting, viewing and renaming.
I can't thank you enough henry. may the road rise up to meet you.
pat
Old 01-09-2009, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

well, i have to laugh at myself. i assumed the extracted file was still on the replay tv HD.
when i looked in the folder that holds extract_rtv5.exe, sure enough, it was sitting there, and it played.
so now i am happily extracting, viewing and renaming.
I can't thank you enough henry. may the road rise up to meet you.

Well, I have to laugh as well because I don't know how I could have been any clearer:

Quote:

If you have enough space, you can run "extract_rt5v -ur" to copy ALL of the deleted files from the Replay HD to the current directory you are executing the command prompt from...

And, we certainly had a few discussions about your having enough space on your PC to hold the extracted shows...

Anyway, glad you finally got it all figured out and are getting your shows back. I sure hope that you are able to recover the "important" shows that you are after!

Henry

By the way, reading through this thread and other threads you will see that one of the big problems of these tools is that you CAN'T put shows back on your ReplayTV. Not even deleted shows...
Old 01-10-2009, 12:03 AM

Henry -
I went thru all of partition 2, and got about 1/3 of my recordings back (all of the .mpg files shown in the printout were successfully extracted).
i looked in the other partitions for the other .mpg files, but found none.

any thoughts about recovering more ?
Old 01-10-2009, 04:13 AM

i should have added that it showed clusters 7 thru 320, then said
cluster 322 (offset 608699904) read error: permission denied

eventually I was able to get about 90% of the files off. the rest appear to be corrupted.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

All of the recordings are on partition 2. There's nowhere else to look for MPEG files...

Did you ever try running BOTH "extract_rtv5 -ud" AND "extact_rtv5 -uds" to see if extract_rtv5 could find any deleted show information files? If either one of those works, then it will help you figure out the show names that go with each recovered file and which ones are worth recovering...

Henry