RTV-5040 HDCP issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-18-2006, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I moved to an HD box and now suddenly when I send the signal out through coax to my Replay I get an HDCP error telling me to use a component connection. When I connect my TV direct to my box through HDMI all works fine. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-18-2006, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

?
Maybe I don't understand the question.
Why use coax if the HD set top box has an s-video out?

If it has a legit coax out, perhaps there is a setting in the HD Set Top Box that can be changed to coax.

Hmm, are you talking pass through?

If you hook the coax cable directly to the replaytv (with the set top box on the sidelines) do you get signal?

If so use a splitter.

I'm not sure I understand your question.

too much info: With that said I must go to home depot and get get some nano technology enhanced paint for the laundry room.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-25-2007, 11:19 AM

I got a new SA 8300HD but still have my Replay hooked up via S-video so my kids' stuff doesn't clog up the HD-DVR. When I hook up the 8300 via HDMI to my TV, I get the HDCP error when Replay tries to record. Anyone got a fix yet?
post #4 of 10 Old 01-25-2007, 12:03 PM

When the TV's power is off, you can't change the channel on the 8300. Apparently, via HDMI, the box can tell whether or not the TV is on or not and when it's not then the box is locked down. Is that normal??? It means that the Replay can't use its IR transmitter to change to the channel it wants to record. UGH.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-25-2007, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
What happens if you use component from SA8300 to TV instead of HDMI?
post #6 of 10 Old 01-25-2007, 01:12 PM

I think that solves the problem, though I need to test it more fully. That's how I originally had it hooked up because at first I didn't have an HDMI cable. And I don't think there was a problem. I certainly didn't notice anything until I switched to HDMI.

Thing I don't get is, the TV has 9 inputs and the cable box has 4 outputs. In each case, the HDMI is just one. And yet having it connected affects everything else. Just seems wrong to me.

Assuming my cable box doesn't output 1080p (which is only available on the TV via HDMI), do I suffer any loss of quality by switching back to component?
post #7 of 10 Old 01-25-2007, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeriv View Post

I think that solves the problem, though I need to test it more fully. That's how I originally had it hooked up because at first I didn't have an HDMI cable. And I don't think there was a problem. I certainly didn't notice anything until I switched to HDMI.

Thing I don't get is, the TV has 9 inputs and the cable box has 4 outputs. In each case, the HDMI is just one. And yet having it connected affects everything else. Just seems wrong to me.

Assuming my cable box doesn't output 1080p (which is only available on the TV via HDMI), do I suffer any loss of quality by switching back to component?

The cable box does not output 1080p.

Most likely what you are seeing is a bug in the SA firmware.

Whether component looks better or worse than HDMI depends on the equipment. It can be either. I suggest you just compare the two on some paused screen.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-26-2007, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeriv View Post

No, Component cables are capable of outputting 1080p (or up to 1080i with your cable box.) There shouldn't be any quality loss. HDMI should be avoided when using digital cable boxes for now as they are not needed and will only hinder your experience like you've seen (though there is the convenience of audio/video in 1 cable, but you still end up using the same # of cables if you connect to an external audio receiver.)

Other people have found if you have HDMI connected, you can turn the cable box off first, then turn off the tv and your RTV will then still be able to change channels. As you saw, there's a handshaking with the HDMI cable/source and the TV which allows HDMI devices to get great information from the television with reguards to resolutions (and other evil things like: are you turned on?)

HDMI is really only good for HiDef DVD players which cripple any other connection (component) which is an artificial DRM scheme and totally ridiculous. It's also good for PC connections to tv because of the digital signal. (but DVI does the job just fine)

While it's a blessing to have a single digital cable that contains video and audio, we're slowly seeing how much of a pain it's becoming in the marketplace.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-26-2007, 06:19 AM

Thanks for the responses, they are helpful. What I was really asking was if the video data that comes over the HDMI cable (which I read was an uncompressed digital video signal) is identical to what comes over the component cables, and it's just neatly bundled (along with audio and the handshaking stuff) conveniently into one cable. If that's the case, then it really does make sense to revert back to component and then just use HDMI once I get a HD DVD player.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-26-2007, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerz View Post

While it's a blessing to have a single digital cable that contains video and audio, we're slowly seeing how much of a pain it's becoming in the marketplace.

The HDMI nightmare/horror stories are starting to add up!!

Onkyo HT-RC360

Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350

Pionoeer KRP-500M KURO

Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page