new computer based replay product - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-13-2007, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone usiing it? I do not see much discussion here. Is there somewhere else it's discussed?

--G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-14-2007, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

It's completely incompatible with all existing replay hardware and third-party software, so... *phhhht*.
Now, if it worked with DVArchive, Wirns, and my "MyHD130" card.... I'd be all over it like sweat on a female beach vollyball player...
post #3 of 14 Old 01-14-2007, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Do you really think it is worth it?

the www.gbpvr.com advocate
post #4 of 14 Old 01-14-2007, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

If it could truely turn a PC with an HD recording card (like the MYHD 130) into another Replay? With all the functionality that Geri and Ryan and others have brought us? Yep. I'd buy that. As it sits, it's just an over-priced ATI-all-in-wonder...
post #5 of 14 Old 01-14-2007, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

BigJohns, I had the window open to respond to the first post for 30 minutes before resonding. In that time you responded before I did because I was multitasking. Sorry for the confusion. I too was looking forward to a PC based ReplayTV as you describe and feel it would be worth it. However, you could have GBPVR or other HTPC based PVR convert the HD recordings to MPEG then put those into Wirns or DVarchive and also download the RTV recordings and have the HTPC based PVR look at that directory whether local or network. I currently do the second part, not the 1st because of the manual intervention needed to import. It would be nice if an automized plugin were made for GBPVR, Sage, and MythTV for that.

the www.gbpvr.com advocate
post #6 of 14 Old 01-15-2007, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjohns View Post

It's completely incompatible with all existing replay hardware and third-party software, so... *phhhht*.
Now, if it worked with DVArchive, Wirns, and my "MyHD130" card.

FWIIW, I'm using the myhd with CW_EPG. CW_EPG is better than the stock myhd software (searches for match to program name each day rather than a timed record) .Alas it is no where near as simple and transparent to use as the replaytv
post #7 of 14 Old 01-15-2007, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgepds View Post

FWIIW, I'm using the myhd with CW_EPG. CW_EPG is better than the stock myhd software (searches for match to program name each day rather than a timed record) .Alas it is no where near as simple and transparent to use as the replaytv

George -

I am too. But the guide is "counter-intuitive" after you've used WIRNS or DVA to schedule shows...

I go a step further and pass the files through a batch file (heavily modified from the "convertalmostanything" bat created by Wrecks) to make them viewable on Replay. There are issues still to overcome (many files die or get jittery after passing through RTVconvert...) I wonder if there are FFMPEG parameters that will duplicate what RTVconvert does??

John
post #8 of 14 Old 01-15-2007, 09:51 AM

I had it downloaded and was going to hack on it for a bit, but when I saw all of the 3rd party components I would have to install (and fundamentally change the operation of my computer) to get it working, I decided it wasn't worth it. I hate WMP based products with a passion.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-15-2007, 06:14 PM

I purchased the required Hauppauge card and have loaded this software. Unfortunately, I can't recommend it for a current replay owner as it provides no service compatible with existing hardware and ends up being pretty expensive way to make a PVR even with a $60 after rebate card. I'd rather buy another ReplayTV on e-bay. A 55xx series will work fine since the ReplayPC edition continues without Commercial Advance. This is surprising since I now see that Panasonic and one other manufacturer are selling a DVD burner/PVR combination that have the commercial advance features.

I provided feedback to ReplayTV on the lack of features to work with existing replays. I could even overlook the HDTV for the moment if the setup at least acted like a ReplayTV on my network.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-15-2007, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 191
LOL, good luck with that.
post #11 of 14 Old 01-16-2007, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

It's a complete and utter dissapointment. There is no compelling reason to use it whatsoever. I wish they would have never got our hopes up and announced/developed it, it's a horrible idea and horrible implementation.

No other vendor of DVR software for a PC requires an annual fee. No other vendors tie you down to using only 2 models of capture cards from one manufacturer. Other vendors are already supporting HD cards (such as Snapstream: http://www.snapstream.com/products/beyondtv/ ) and directly allow burning to DVD, while Replay PC does not. It actually offers *less* features than a Replay TV hadrware DVR, most of us expect a PC based solution to have *more* features! It doesn't do Commercial Advance, IVS, or allow browsing/streaming from your other Replay TV's.

Almost everyone across the board aggrees, it's a stinking pile of dog do-do.
post #12 of 14 Old 01-17-2007, 05:40 PM

I agree with everything said above.

For whatever its worth, here's a couple of quotes from the ReplayTV software's FAQ:

"We are currently working on HDTV support for the PC Edition and anticipate providing it as part of the updates that are included in the price of ReplayTV PC Edition."

and in response to the question whether it will stream from the hardware boxes:

"ReplayTV PC Edition does not facilitate this functionality. Independent developers may offer a solution that supports streaming shows between ReplayTV DVRs and PCs with DVR-MS formatted recordings which is the format used by the PC Edition."

-John
post #13 of 14 Old 01-18-2007, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

But hey, if you hurry you can get it for $20 off!!
post #14 of 14 Old 01-19-2007, 01:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lark888 View Post

. . . it provides no service compatible with existing hardware. . .

This was known early on.
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page