Dag nabbit! Lets compile a list of Hard Drive Model #s compatible with RTVs! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 248 Old 02-14-2007, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You must provide a specific model number to get any valid feedback.

Ed Qualls - Just Add Power
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 248 Old 02-15-2007, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip718 View Post

Hi. can anyone please tell me if a Maxtor 200GB Diamondmax 10 ATA 133 Hard Drive is a compatible drive to upgrade my 5040?

Thanks for any info.

Sorry about the missing info. Its a Maxtor 200GB Diamondmax 10 ATA 133 Hard Drive - Model: 6L200P0
post #93 of 248 Old 02-15-2007, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

post #94 of 248 Old 02-18-2007, 07:12 AM

Thanks for the info, KenL.

Does anyone know if a Maxtor 200GB Diamondmax 21 PATA Model: 6A200V0 faired any better?
post #95 of 248 Old 02-19-2007, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
post #96 of 248 Old 02-22-2007, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I've never upgraded any of my Replays and any desire I might have had at one time had all but died with 99.9999% of my viewing being done through a couple two-tuner HD-DVRs from Comcast. Also, the vast majority of things I want to archive can be done in full HD via firewire to PCs and a DVHS VCR.

Nevertheless, despite the fact that they're all stuck in analog SD land, all three of our Replays continue to get used for longer-term storage and for when easy navigation is more desireable than glorious HD PQ.

Now, two of our three Replay 5000s have just met the "Please wait" death angel and need upgrading, which will be the first ones I've done. I'm certain the third is not far behind. I've chosen to go with the

250GB Seagate ST3250820ACE DB35

from TheNerds. If all goes well and the drive isn't too noisy, I'll probably do the same for the other Replay(s).

I'm hoping I can somehow get the shows on the old drives moved over to the new ones, but at this point I have no idea if I'll even be able to read the old drives.

I wonder how much longer we're going to even need these things to last - especially once analog is no longer attainable without a STB.
post #97 of 248 Old 02-22-2007, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecow View Post

I aint doing all the work. If you know a model # that works, post it!

Well, since you're here ALL THE TIME (and usually complaining about being bored), why don't you:

AT LEAST COMPILE THE RESULTS AS THEY ARE POSTED?

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #98 of 248 Old 02-22-2007, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by choli0090 View Post

If people want to send me what they have that is working I will update the list I started. I have uploaded what I have so far.

Quote:

you:
  1. make it an excel file
  2. then zip it
  3. and make it an attachment??

Stop complaining! He *COULD* have PASSWORDED the ZIP file.
Quote:

how about just paste it as text in a post?

choli0090,

How about:
  1. Convert it to HTML
  2. Increase the amount of information
  3. Upload it to GeoCities
  4. Provide everyone with a LINK
  5. Maintain it
?

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #99 of 248 Old 02-23-2007, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluxon View Post

I've never upgraded any of my Replays and any desire I might have had at one time had all but died with 99.9999% of my viewing being done through a couple two-tuner HD-DVRs from Comcast. Also, the vast majority of things I want to archive can be done in full HD via firewire to PCs and a DVHS VCR.

Nevertheless, despite the fact that they're all stuck in analog SD land, all three of our Replays continue to get used for longer-term storage and for when easy navigation is more desireable than glorious HD PQ.

Now, two of our three Replay 5000s have just met the "Please wait" death angel and need upgrading, which will be the first ones I've done. I'm certain the third is not far behind. I've chosen to go with the

250GB Seagate ST3250820ACE DB35

from TheNerds. If all goes well and the drive isn't too noisy, I'll probably do the same for the other Replay(s).

I'm hoping I can somehow get the shows on the old drives moved over to the new ones, but at this point I have no idea if I'll even be able to read the old drives.

I wonder how much longer we're going to even need these things to last - especially once analog is no longer attainable without a STB.

You can only copy over the shows to the new Replay when it is still bootable. For the two "stuck" Replays, you will have to load a new image on your replacement hard drive (I used the ST3250823ACE and have been very happy with it), which will boot up with no shows and no programs. You can (hopefully) use extract_rtv5 to extract all the shows and show descriptions from your "stuck" hard drives and then access them through DVArchive, WiRNS, or IVSmagic. Unless the drives are completely dead, you should at least be able to extract all the recorded shows even if you can't get the show descriptions.

If the third Replay is still working, then you can completely copy it over to a new hard drive with a different capacity and retain all your recorded shows and programming...

Henry
post #100 of 248 Old 02-23-2007, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdonzis View Post

You can only copy over the shows to the new Replay when it is still bootable. For the two "stuck" Replays, you will have to load a new image on your replacement hard drive (I used the ST3250823ACE and have been very happy with it), which will boot up with no shows and no programs...

Being that I've never done a Replay drive update, I wasn't thinking along the lines that "bootable" was a requirement for salvaging shows. I was really kind of hoping that the old drives might spin up and be readable even though they won't boot their respective Replays.

So is it not possible that the Replay is just getting "stuck" when trying to read a bad sector on bootup and that that is not a factor when simply reading the drive?

Thanks!

Tim
post #101 of 248 Old 02-23-2007, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Say, I have a computer with an older (2 yrs?) Maxtor 200GB PATA drive in it that I'd like to replace with a 500GB SATA drive (ASUS P4D800-E Deluxe motherboard that can take both).

I seem to recall these Maxtors making pretty decent Replay drives. Anybody know for sure?
post #102 of 248 Old 02-23-2007, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...So is it not possible that the Replay is just getting "stuck" when trying to read a bad sector on bootup and that that is not a factor when simply reading the drive?

No exceedingly unlikely. If there was some other reason (besides the drive) it wasn't booting, perhaps.

While it may be possible to extract the shows from a non-booting drive (if it still spins up and has an intact mpeg partition) you don't want to use that to image the new drive, because you can almost be certain the booting problems will transfer to the new upgrade in such case. Extract the shows if possible and use a fresh image to upgrade.

Quote:

...I seem to recall these Maxtors making pretty decent Replay drives. Anybody know for sure?

May be possible but I'd never use a 2 year old used maxtor in a Replay if I had any choice. Go for the Seagate DB35, unless you want to be going through the please wait again sooner than later.
post #103 of 248 Old 02-24-2007, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Being that I've never done a Replay drive update, I wasn't thinking along the lines that "bootable" was a requirement for salvaging shows. I was really kind of hoping that the old drives might spin up and be readable even though they won't boot their respective Replays.

So is it not possible that the Replay is just getting "stuck" when trying to read a bad sector on bootup and that that is not a factor when simply reading the drive?

Thanks!

Tim

As Ken posted, you don't want to copy over the problems of your old drive to your new drive. If there is an unreadable sector, then you won't be able to copy that sector to the new drive, so, of course, then the new drive will have a readable sector with garbage data in it rather than the real data. You are certainly welcome to try, but the process is very similar to "Ghosting" (if you are familiar with that drive copying program) or mirroring the drive. The Replay boots off the hard drive and if it can't boot off your existing hard drive, then copying that hard drive to a new one is unlikely to produce a bootable system. When you use RTVPatch, it tries multiple times to read bad sectors. Through temperature changes, it may be possible to recover bad sectors. You can start out by trying to backup your existing hard drive's system partition and see how successful that is. If it has bad sectors but is able to eventually read them through retries, you can certainly attempt to see if the Replay will boot if you copy that system partition to the new hard drive. If you want to go to the trouble, use RTVPatch to simply save the system partition of your existing drive. Then, restore that saved system partition ot the new drive, patch the drive, and see if the Replay boots. If it does, then you can run RTVPatch again, restore the system partition again, and then copy the MPEG partition as well to copy your recorded shows to the new hard drive.

But, it is most likely that you will have to download a new boot image to put on your new hard drive, which will mean that it will boot up with no shows or scheduled recordings....

Henry
post #104 of 248 Old 03-13-2007, 03:29 AM
Advanced Member

Let see if I can boil down what I have read in this thread so far..

The Seagate ST3120026A-RK may come in different firmware and only if the firmware printed on the drive is listed as 7200.7 or .8 will work with the ReplayTV?
The drives being sold have a mim of 8mb cache... but from doing a google search some have purchased this drive and in fact it had a 16mb cache...

The reason I am looking at this drive: 5 year warranty.. as many other drives only have a one year warranty.

--David

(Pricegrabber and another shopping search tool list the drive as follows:
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 Plus ST3120026A-RK 120GB Hard Drive)
post #105 of 248 Old 03-13-2007, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEC View Post

Let see if I can boil down what I have read in this thread so far..

The Seagate ST3120026A-RK may come in different firmware and only if the firmware printed on the drive is listed as 7200.7 or .8 will work with the ReplayTV?
The drives being sold have a mim of 8mb cache... but from doing a google search some have purchased this drive and in fact it had a 16mb cache...

The reason I am looking at this drive: 5 year warranty.. as many other drives only have a one year warranty.

--David

You may get lucky at finding a Seagate HD with compatible firmware. However, your reasoning for getting the Seagate because of the 5 year warranty is flawed- but it's not your fault.

If your Seagate hard drive fails, and you send it back for replacement (and hopefully this would happen sometime in the future - say two or three years), you are likely to get whatever type of PATA Hard Drive Seagate still makes. It is very likely that the firmware on that replacement drive will NOT be compatible with your Replay. You'll get a replacement drive that you cannot use (in a Replay).

Western Digitals work well in Replays. Use the JB320 GB Western Digital. It's under $100 at newegg. It has a three year warranty.

-Doug
post #106 of 248 Old 03-13-2007, 08:07 AM

I think if you went with the Seagate DB35 or SV35, you wouldn't get "any old PATA" drive as a replacement in the 5yr warranty, but instead you would probably get a drive back that is compatible with the Replay.

So if you like Seagates like me, you should look at those lines.

Onkyo HT-RC360

Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350

Pionoeer KRP-500M KURO

post #107 of 248 Old 03-13-2007, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfay View Post

I think if you went with the Seagate DB35 or SV35, you wouldn't get "any old PATA" drive as a replacement in the 5yr warranty, but instead you would probably get a drive back that is compatible with the Replay.

So if you like Seagates like me, you should look at those lines.

The Poster did not quote a DB35... a ST3120026A-RK, a 120 GB IDE drive was quoted.

I have a Seagate installed in one of my RTVs. I bought it for the warranty. However, that drive is now a lemming, becuase if it fails, the replacement I get will likely not work with my RTV.

Cheers!
post #108 of 248 Old 03-13-2007, 08:55 AM

You read entirely too much into my post.

I never suggested that he quoted a DB35 or SV35... Instead I was simply trying to suggest that he consider those lines instead of the other... for reasons you posted.

Onkyo HT-RC360

Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350

Pionoeer KRP-500M KURO

post #109 of 248 Old 03-13-2007, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post

Western Digitals work well in Replays. Use the JB320 GB Western Digital. It's under $100 at newegg. It has a three year warranty.

-Doug

Be aware that some retailers offer the retail boxed version of this drive (WD3200JBRTL) which carries only a one year warranty. The one at Newegg is an OEM version (WD3200JB) which has the 3 year warranty.

I purchased one of these drives from Newegg and put it in my 5040 a few months ago - it's been working great! I have about 300hrs at standard quality and about 1/2 that at medium. I've been taking advantage of the extra space since upgrading to an Olevia 542i. I've noticed a difference in picture quality between standard and medium on this display that wasn't apparant on my ancient 27" CRT TV and now only use the medium setting for keeper shows. Of course there's always DVArchive but it's nice not have to keep the server running 24/7.
post #110 of 248 Old 03-14-2007, 01:02 AM
Advanced Member

Newegg and I had a falling out.... due to sale timing and billing... being at 12:01 the item was no longer on sale... yet I had started the check out process at 10mins till per my local clocks....
Due to conflicting info at "Best Buy" about my extended warranty I may go and stand in the store and make a scene Sat. am....I paid for an extened warranty to replace the harddrive if the current drive fails and they want to:
[AX3csr] Not to even try to repair and give store credit...
[Bx2csr] Best Buy ships unit to some unknow place in Texas for repair which could take eight weeks and if they are unable to repair give store credit....
[Cx1csr] I ship to Replay for repair, pay for the repair, and submit a repair claim for refund which could take six months for refund and the repair claim could be turned down
... I have even called the "888" at different times and gotten different answers ??

--David

PS: Does anybody have a drive image for the 50xx series newer than:
Factory Reset Image 530511440.rtv
post #111 of 248 Old 03-14-2007, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/sdo/289223353.html

no, as far as I know 530511440 is the latest downloadable version. However, if you use it and connect to the mothership, the mothership will send a software update. You should be fine.
post #112 of 248 Old 04-07-2007, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post

-Doug

Yeah, the Western Digitals work well until they go belly up in a month or two or three. I have had THREE different WD drives, different models, all die quickly in two Replays and one Tivo. These are the only WD drives I used. In the rest of my DVRs I've used Seagates--no problems.

I will NEVER buy another WD for a DVR.

Kwad
post #113 of 248 Old 04-22-2007, 03:37 PM

Do you guys think this drive will work? It seems like a decent price. The thing that confuses me is the "Ultra DMA/100" part. I thought it was supposed to say "ATA". Deal sites say this Seagate drive is 7200.7.

Seagate 200GB Ultra DMA/100 8MB Buffer ST3200822A-RK- Retail Hard Drive Kit
http://shop4.outpost.com/product/400...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
post #114 of 248 Old 04-22-2007, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE5907 View Post

Do you guys think this drive will work? It seems like a decent price. The thing that confuses me is the "Ultra DMA/100" part. I thought it was supposed to say "ATA". Deal sites say this Seagate drive is 7200.7.

It should work in a 5000 or 5500 as long as the firmware version is as you expect 7200.7.
post #115 of 248 Old 04-22-2007, 09:29 PM

Thanks a lot, Mikeyboy.
post #116 of 248 Old 04-23-2007, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I didn't see the firmware quoted at the Fry's web page you cite... Buyer beware. Sometimes what's on the box is not what's in the package. i.e. - Box says 7200.7, drive in the box is 7200.9.

Cheers!
-Doug
post #117 of 248 Old 04-23-2007, 03:29 PM

Thanks Doug, I will look out for that. I didn't see the firmware on the site either, but two deal sites that led me to it described it as 7200.7. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
post #118 of 248 Old 04-23-2007, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I should have spoke sooner.

I've seen a similar deal at staples (a seagate 200 for $49.99). The deal doesn't seem to be on staples.com.

I don't know which version of firmware the seagate is or if the same deal is going on at your local staples

the good part is this is staples 'customer appreciation week' and there is a pdf floating around the net that you can print out and get a 12% discount (says not applicable to computers or laptops(guessing computer accesories are fair game)).

you will have to find out the details yourself if interested, this is a lead not conclusive
post #119 of 248 Old 04-23-2007, 10:55 PM

I just put in a Seagate 160 gig 8 meg cache drive last week in my 5040 when its drive went belly-up. It is a 7200.9 version firmware; however been a week now and no problems. I wonder if the 7200.9 problems have something to with larger drives (at least larger than 160 gigs) combined with 16 meg cache.

'course probably gonna jinx it now that I posted that everything is fine. .

CC
post #120 of 248 Old 04-29-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:

Thanks Doug, I will look out for that. I didn't see the firmware on the site either, but two deal sites that led me to it described it as 7200.7. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

It turned out to be a 7200.9. Time to RMA.
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page