Dag nabbit! Lets compile a list of Hard Drive Model #s compatible with RTVs! - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 248 Old 05-08-2009, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by odie34 View Post

It's been years since I needed to replace one of my drives, and I was unaware of all of these compatibility issues. I have a 5040 and three 4504s, and a drive just crashed in one of the 4504s.

So my first question is: Are all of these issues related only to the 5000/5500 series, or to the 4500 series as well? (I saw somewhere that the issue doesn't appear to affect ShowStoppers, but I think of the 4500 as closer to the 5000 than the 3000.) If this is not an issue for the 4500 series, are there still drives that I should be staying away from?

Also, the Seagate DB35 drives appear to be the most compatible, but I see a few model numbers that all appear to be 160GB drives. Does anyone know the difference between the ST3160215ACE and the ST3160022ACE? Are there any larger drives (200-320) out there anymore?

Thanks for your input!

-- Mark

The Western Digital AV PATA Drives will work in the 4000 and 4500's I've seen them up to 500GB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 248 Old 05-08-2009, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So my first question is: Are all of these issues related only to the 5000/5500 series, or to the 4500 series as well? (I saw somewhere that the issue doesn't appear to affect ShowStoppers, but I think of the 4500 as closer to the 5000 than the 3000.) If this is not an issue for the 4500 series, are there still drives that I should be staying away from?

The issues are related to the 5000/5500 series, NOT the 4000/4500 series. I'm not sure what the 4000 is closest to, but it doesn't seem to care too much about the hard drive. I think there may be a couple of posts about incompatible 4000 drives, you can check on replaytvupgrade.com...

Quote:

Also, the Seagate DB35 drives appear to be the most compatible, but I see a few model numbers that all appear to be 160GB drives. Does anyone know the difference between the ST3160215ACE and the ST3160022ACE? Are there any larger drives (200-320) out there anymore?

The difference in that part of the model number is the cache size. '2' means 2K cache. I'm not sure what '0' means, but you can check it out on seagate.com. The '15' and '22' are the series but the don't specifically mean anything without looking up the particular drive model number. They may be the revision number or something like that because in the 7200.3 line the 160GB drive may be '22' whereas the 250GB drive may be '23'...

Henry
post #243 of 248 Old 05-09-2009, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Crap!
Guys HELP.
Had a hdd die last night. My spare is actually enroute to Seagate for replacement...

Anyone have a confirmed drive / drive source for 200-300gb drive??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #244 of 248 Old 05-09-2009, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjohns View Post

Crap!
Guys HELP.
Had a hdd die last night. My spare is actually enroute to Seagate for replacement...

Anyone have a confirmed drive / drive source for 200-300gb drive??

On a normal day I'd look it up for you, but I'm physically pooped today. I can tell you.. go to the other HD thread that shows reported working drives and plug some of the model numbers in google, than hit the 'shopping' tab (it might be under 'more'). ...then change price from lowest to highest and look for the first new drive. After you find one you are comfortable with, plug the model number in ebay for good measure.

That's what I've been doing lately.

don't buy from mwave. they are crooks. I bought a few drives NEW from them on ebay. one didn't work and other was used for many hours (I learned from diagnostic tools). They wouldn't send me new ones when I complained (worth a shot, it is what they agreed to), then when I caved because I didn't want to stress, I accepted a refund. The crooks not only didn't refund shipping, they didn't refund tax. I'm out about $30 bucks but dont want to lose sleep over it. I'd like to shiP in their mouths.

I periodically, but rarely get screwed. The amount I get screwed compared to the mad savings I orchastrate is laughable.
post #245 of 248 Old 07-21-2009, 12:29 PM

curiously, when i press 411, i get the info screen but no disk drive info. Tried this on 3 replays with same results of no info,

i did see where someone mentioned using seagate SV35 drives, but they are sata as best i can tell.

its now almosy aug 2009,a nd i am looking for replacement drives. do the 2mb cache 160 gig drives work just as well as the 8mg cache ones? any suggestions of what and where to get today at a reasonable price? i would use up to 400 gigs if reasonable.

also, any clue if this adapter would work on replay 4000's fir sata drive?

http://www.cooldrives.com/sata-drive...rter-mini.html

thanks
post #246 of 248 Old 07-21-2009, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencil2man View Post

curiously, when i press 411, i get the info screen but no disk drive info. Tried this on 3 replays with same results of no info,

i did see where someone mentioned using seagate SV35 drives, but they are sata as best i can tell.

its now almosy aug 2009,a nd i am looking for replacement drives. do the 2mb cache 160 gig drives work just as well as the 8mg cache ones? any suggestions of what and where to get today at a reasonable price? i would use up to 400 gigs if reasonable.

also, any clue if this adapter would work on replay 4000's fir sata drive?

http://www.cooldrives.com/sata-drive...rter-mini.html

thanks

If you're talking about a ReplayTV 4000, this thread does not pertain to 4K units, which is probably why your 4-1-1-Zones screen doesn't look the same. 4K's don't seem to have the same problem with IDE drives as 5K's, so it might work fine with a SATA->IDE converter and it might work fine with the different IDE drives that are available. That is, you don't necessarily need to be looking for the DB35 drives to install in a 4K RTV...

Newegg has the SV drives in IDE/PATA in the 160GB capacity, by the way...

Henry
post #247 of 248 Old 07-29-2009, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

It looks like ReplayTV.us has done a lot of work for us:

Quote:

About RTV5000 and RTV5500 drives

We are constantly looking for compatible drives for these models and so far everything we tested including the whole line of WD PATA drives have failed. Once our remaining stock of Seagate DB35 drives, we may not be able to offer new RTV5000/5500 replacement drives any longer

Quote:

SATA Drives Usable in RTV 4000/4500 Series and some TiVo models

We have successfully tested one brand of SATA to IDE converter that allows SATA drives to be used in RTV4000/4500 Series and TiVo Series2 TCD649xxx. We have not been able to get the 5000/5500 to work with the adapter.

Hopefully if they find something that works with the 5000/5500 series they will post it on their website. But, it looks like they've answered the questions about using a SATA adapter in a 5xxx and if any of the WD drives work in a 5xxx...

Henry
post #248 of 248 Old 07-30-2009, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdonzis View Post

It looks like ReplayTV.us has done a lot of work for us:

Hopefully if they find something that works with the 5000/5500 series they will post it on their website. But, it looks like they've answered the questions about using a SATA adapter in a 5xxx and if any of the WD drives work in a 5xxx...

Henry

Time to start dumpster diving..... and recycling any old hard drive which may be of use. Our ReplayTVs will be like cars in Cuba....
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page