Both 50x0 units lost channel guide - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-24-2007, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's a weird one.

My wife tells me that our upstairs unit has lost the channel guide. When I go to check it out the channels are still listed but have no data. I assumed this was a dying hard drive since we'd had a few spontaneous reboots lately.

I tried a "Connect to ReplayTV service now" but it hung (well, technically it timed out at some point, but after an hour I went to bed). I rebooted and tried again but it still hung.

I then did a 243-Zones to clear the channel guide (twice, which rebooted after each instance) and then tried to force a net connect. The net connect still hung. I then tried changing the Zip code to a different locale but when it tried to download service providers for that Zip code it returned with "Unexpected result code. (84420005)"

My best guess was that the sectors containing the channel guide info went bad and we were screwed. I ran RTVPatch on a spare drive and got ready to install it. Just then my wife tells me that the downstairs unit also has no guide!

I'm guessing that the guide data from RTV was corrupt somehow and the units barfed on it. Everything I tried on the upstairs unit I tried again on the downstairs unit and got the same results. This time, however, I toggled the network meter and watched what was happening.

When I forced a net connect after clearing the channel guide twice it appeared to get stuck at "Checking for new channels..." but the network meter showed sporadic activity every 2-3 seconds (Rec'd .570KB/s Sent .640KB/s). As of now this is continuing and the new channel check is up to 30% but it's going REALLY slow. I don't think anything's wrong with my network since DVArchive can still download it's 2 weeks of guide data in under 1 minute.

Any ideas for how I should proceed other than a factory reset? I really don't want to do this as I'd have to grab all the shows off to DVArchive and there's a lot of shows on both units.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-24-2007, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like a network problem. You might want to make sure the router DHCP is enabled, and that the replay networks are set to auto. Power off the modem, router and replays. Power on modem and router. After you've verified the PC internet connects, bootup the replays. They should autodetect the network and hopefully netconnect manually through 243 zones screen.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-24-2007, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyboy View Post

Sounds like a network problem. You might want to make sure the router DHCP is enabled, and that the replay networks are set to auto. Power off the modem, router and replays. Power on modem and router. After you've verified the PC internet connects, bootup the replays. They should autodetect the network and hopefully netconnect manually through 243 zones screen.

I know, it does sound like a network problem. I rebooted everything (cable modem, router and then the Replay units) but it had no effect.

The strange thing is that I can stream to/from both Replay units (watch shows from PC using DVArchive as well as viewing shows remotely from both Replay units) so I know the local network is OK. It's weird that it just bogs down when connecting to the mothership.

As an aside, nothing has changed on my internal network configuration in years (literally).

I'm quickly running out of ideas.

Scott

p.s. the very slow download of channel info mentioned in my 1st post eventually died.
post #4 of 14 Old 01-24-2007, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hook the replaytv directly to the modem and replug them in, modem first.

make sure it works that way
post #5 of 14 Old 01-24-2007, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecow View Post

hook the replaytv directly to the modem and replug them in, modem first.

make sure it works that way

Yup, I tried that right after I posted my last message. Works fine.

Now I'm trying to figure out what happend. I thought that my router (Linksys WRT54G with Sveasoft firmware) suddenly decided to stop working but after connecting each Replay directly to the cable modem and updating the guide, I put everything back to the way it was and it's all working again. Very strange.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-26-2007, 10:42 PM

I'm struggling with the same problem. All of a sudden I have no channel guide. Please let me know if you find a root cause. Nothing changed (to my knowledge) on my network connection but, suddenly, I have no guide. I've reset the routers, did a 2-4-3 zones but still no luck. Experiencing the same issues you have.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-27-2007, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfour7th View Post

I'm struggling with the same problem. All of a sudden I have no channel guide. Please let me know if you find a root cause. Nothing changed (to my knowledge) on my network connection but, suddenly, I have no guide. I've reset the routers, did a 2-4-3 zones but still no luck. Experiencing the same issues you have.

If DHCP is enabled and the replaytv network is set to auto detect, it should work. You may need to reboot the recorder(s) to pick up the network.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-27-2007, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

You can try a soft reboot to begin with--hold the power button until the drives spin down. If that doesn't work, they try a hard reboot--hold the power button until the drives spin down then unplug for a few minutes. Plug them back in and see if you get connectivity.

It is very important to let the drives spin down. You can corrupt your ReplayTV's OS if it is reading data when you pull the plug.

Imagespace--Arts and Web 2.0
Musings of a Canadian Living in the United States

My Video Shorts
A Collection of Video Shorts
post #9 of 14 Old 01-27-2007, 07:34 AM

I had a similar problem a while back and I switched from DHCP to a "different" static IP than the one DHCP was assigning and everything started working again. I have no idea why this fixed it, but nothing else I tried helped out.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-27-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyboy View Post

If DHCP is enabled and the replaytv network is set to auto detect, it should work. You may need to reboot the recorder(s) to pick up the network.

I definitely have DHCP enabled--always have. Not sure where the "auto detect" is on the RTV is though. Can you guide me to that in the menu?

Thank you!
post #11 of 14 Old 01-27-2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creech View Post

You can try a soft reboot to begin with--hold the power button until the drives spin down. If that doesn't work, they try a hard reboot--hold the power button until the drives spin down then unplug for a few minutes. Plug them back in and see if you get connectivity.

It is very important to let the drives spin down. You can corrupt your ReplayTV's OS if it is reading data when you pull the plug.

Creech, thanks. I've pulled the plug on the unit a couple of times--not before letting the drives stop however. I'll be more careful next time. Also, I didn't know the difference between a hard boot and a soft boot--now I do--I'll try it when I get home tonight.

Some additional points that might help you guys assess my situation:

~The green light is on at the ethernet port on the back of the RTV.

~When I command the "connect to ReplayTV now" feature, it just sits there

~My high speed internet, wireless router (to which the ethernet cable is plugged into) are all working flawlessly.

~Every thing else appears to be working on the unit. We can't program anything obviously but we still use it for watching recorded shows, instant replay, pause whilst going to the restroom, etc.
post #12 of 14 Old 01-27-2007, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfour7th View Post

I definitely have DHCP enabled--always have. Not sure where the "auto detect" is on the RTV is though. Can you guide me to that in the menu?

Thank you!

The Replaytv network setting is set to either manual or auto. To access it go to menu/setup/network and input settings. Select "Change Network". It will state whether to change from Manual to Auto or Auto to manual. If it says Manual to Auto, continue on so it changes to Auto and save changes on exit.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-27-2007, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

All I can suggest is try bypassing the router and plugging the Replay unit directly into the cable/DSL modem. In my case, that was at least enough to get a guide update to buy me some time to work with it more without losing the ability to record new shows.

I had thought that after I bypassed the router and then put it back that everything else was working but it turned out that the problem came back the next day and net connects starting timing out and failing.

I assumed that it was an issue with my router's firmware (Sveasoft's Alchemy) settings which I have configured with QoS for setting the Replay packets to Bulk priority (BTW it's always been set this way, I haven't changed anything in a long time). I had a spare unit that I put newer firmware on (Sveasoft's Talisman) and skipped setting any QoS settings for the Replay units and it's working fine so far. But now that somebody else is having the same exact problem I'm not so certain that the problem was with my router.

Very strange.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-28-2007, 08:14 AM

save thing happened to me two weeks ago. Tried all steps, no luck

changed the service provider to WiRNS on one RTV and left it with DTV on the other.

WiRNS guide RTV pulled all missing guide data and has not missed any updates since then

The RTV that I left with DTV eventually connected and downloaded the correct and missing guide data from RNNA

Right now both units are working correctly. I will keep my current set-up to see which one crashes next.....
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page