Worried about my RTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-29-2007, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I installed a new Seagate hdd about a month ago and put the patch/software on the hdd. From the initial install, the initial "Please wait" screen never appeared. Instead, it shows a black screen and then goes to the next screen(One moment please). That's no so much the concern.

Last night I was watching a show that caused the screen to go black and then the RTV was totally unresponsive except for rebooting from the power button. It did this 3 times in the span of less than 20 minutes.

Is this generally a sign of bad things to come?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-29-2007, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post

I installed a new Seagate hdd about a month ago and put the patch/software on the hdd. From the initial install, the initial "Please wait" screen never appeared. Instead, it shows a black screen and then goes to the next screen(One moment please). That's no so much the concern.

Last night I was watching a show that caused the screen to go black and then the RTV was totally unresponsive except for rebooting from the power button. It did this 3 times in the span of less than 20 minutes.

Is this generally a sign of bad things to come?

I assume you have a 5000 or 5500 recorder. You will only see "Please wait" when connected to the TV by A/V or super video cables. When using RF out, it's normal for the cable signal to bypass until the One Moment screen pops up as the bootup sequence progesses.

Locking up 3 times in 20 minutes is a problem. The drive you choose may not be compatible with the 5000/5500, defective, or you simply forgot to perform the Patch Target Drive step during the upgrade.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-29-2007, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyboy View Post

I assume you have a 5000 or 5500 recorder. You will only see "Please wait" when connected to the TV by A/V or super video cables. When using RF out, it's normal for the cable signal to bypass until the One Moment screen pops up as the bootup sequence progesses.

Locking up 3 times in 20 minutes is a problem. The drive you choose may not be compatible with the 5000/5500, defective, or you simply forgot to perform the Patch Target Drive step during the upgrade.

The Seagate is an 8 MB cache and from what I've read, should have been compatible. I don't think it had ever done it up until last night after a month of operation. I completed the entire program when I did the patch.

As far as the connection, I'm almost positive I'm using A/V cables out and no RF's.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-29-2007, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post

The Seagate is an 8 MB cache and from what I've read, should have been compatible.

Barracuda firmware series is apparently the determining factor for compatibility, regardless of cache size.

What model Seagate is it?

(411 zones)
post #5 of 6 Old 01-29-2007, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post

Barracuda firmware series is apparently the determining factor for compatibility, regardless of cache size.

What model Seagate is it?

(411 zones)

ST3400832A
post #6 of 6 Old 01-29-2007, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

That's 7200.8 which is compatible, so good there. Cross that off the list of possibilities.

If you are entirely sure it was patched correctly, then it's back to pick Mikeyboy's brain as to what else it might be. If the drive itself isn't just flaking out.

Is this the one you bought on fleabay? New or used?
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page