RTV Dumb Question Amnesty(attn: lurkers) What dumb questions are you afraid to ask? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 02-02-2007, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll email j.m. to come over and answer them all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 02-02-2007, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lol I love it. do they get amnesty from activation and show request question as well?
post #3 of 35 Old 02-02-2007, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

yes, I'll email MikeyBoy too
post #4 of 35 Old 02-02-2007, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There are no dumb questions, Just dumb lurkers.
post #5 of 35 Old 02-03-2007, 01:06 PM

Hey, I resemble that remark.

Ok, I do have a question that I've been researching. I put one of my $29 refurbished 5040's into service a few months ago (set up my Mom). She was having all sorts of problems that I attributed to her tech knowledge and my ability to solve over the phone. Turns out it was a ReplayTV issue.

The unit would startup and run fine from a cold condition and run for 1-2 days before starting to pixelate and then start rebooting every few hours/minutes until it would lock up solid. If it was turned off for a few minutes, it would come back up ok for a short while and then go through the whole routine. If left off overnight, it would repeat the "cold condition" startup.

As this seemed like a typically overheating issue for a PC, I started by putting additional heat sinks and fans on the system which did help to extend the time until pixelation. With added cooling, I originally could get 4-7 days before it would lock back up.

It continued to degrade over a couple months until it would lock up in less than one day and finally wouldn't boot. Although "fun" to troubleshoot, I gave up and purchased a 5040 without a hard drive on e-bay.

My question? Well, has this behavior been seen before and is it an overheated IC circuit or power supply or what? I did change hard drives with no change in the basic performance.

sigh. However, still love my replays.
post #6 of 35 Old 02-03-2007, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lark888 View Post

Hey, I resemble that remark.

Ok, I do have a question that I've been researching. I put one of my $29 refurbished 5040's into service a few months ago (set up my Mom). She was having all sorts of problems that I attributed to her tech knowledge and my ability to solve over the phone. Turns out it was a ReplayTV issue.

The unit would startup and run fine from a cold condition and run for 1-2 days before starting to pixelate and then start rebooting every few hours/minutes until it would lock up solid. If it was turned off for a few minutes, it would come back up ok for a short while and then go through the whole routine. If left off overnight, it would repeat the "cold condition" startup.

As this seemed like a typically overheating issue for a PC, I started by putting additional heat sinks and fans on the system which did help to extend the time until pixelation. With added cooling, I originally could get 4-7 days before it would lock back up.

It continued to degrade over a couple months until it would lock up in less than one day and finally wouldn't boot. Although "fun" to troubleshoot, I gave up and purchased a 5040 without a hard drive on e-bay.

My question? Well, has this behavior been seen before and is it an overheated IC circuit or power supply or what? I did change hard drives with no change in the basic performance.

sigh. However, still love my replays.

You have to make sure the drive and disk image are good. Next is poor connection of the 12 wire power supply to motherboard connector (fails to grip the pins tightly). Lastly the power supply voltage is out of specs. My gut feeling is the 12 wire harness may be causing all the problems.
post #7 of 35 Old 02-03-2007, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Why did the chicken cross the road?

Because she thinked the mafia thug was about to cross the farmer for telling his daughter to cross her legs after the thug crossed the line.

Because she wanted to be on American Idol.

Because the farmer was getting drunk and beating up cross dressers.

To set up a WDS connection.

Because she was just walking. The road never crossed her mind.

Because there were no crosswalks at the corner.

THE REAL REASON:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
She was looking for some bugs to eat.

edit bonus: help me with the last one. What was the quote at the end of the movie 'seven deadly sins'. coarsely paraphrasing it went something like this. '''when i'm finished you marvel over this for centuries...'''
post #8 of 35 Old 02-04-2007, 01:32 PM

Mikeyboy - Thanks for the informed advice. I have used multiple images on three different hard drives without affecting the results. I'll pull a 12 wire harness from another replaytv (I have a few 'extra' after a lighting storm a year or ago).

I can also monitor the voltages in each of the wires using a PC linked voltmeter. What I don't know is the expected voltages & variation. I'll go simple first and try a different wire harness (link) and maybe a different power supply to see if that changes anything. Again, thanks.

Scott aka Lark888
post #9 of 35 Old 02-05-2007, 10:12 AM

Liked: 11
2 Replays (5040 class, lifetime act.) and an Athlon 64 running 32 bit XP Pro SP2 and WiRNS latest everything. Both Replays have 160 meg or greater HD. WiRNS has 512G of show storage. All on the same LAN via a Linksys switch.

Problem: locking up in weird ways. WiRNS runs fine after a fresh install, but after a day or so WiRNS will not serve the channel or Replay guides - just never returns. Status, copnfig, etc work OK. Stop WiRNS, Start WiRNS and it works again - for a day or less, then same symptoms.

Other symptoms: Refresh Replays' guide (on WiRNS) never completes. Remove Replay #2 from the LAN and the WiRNS problem does not seem to occur. Reboot Replay #2 and the WiRNS problem does not seem to occur until the next time it tries to get guide from Replays.

WiRNS is able to get guide from both Replays, right after restarting. Only after a day or so does the problem occur - and once it occurs it sticks regardless of rebooting any Replays.

Other strange symptoms: on Replay #1 (for instance), when going to display the guide from either Replay #2 or WiRNS takes A Long Time to display the guide - up to a minute - and if it is playing a show and especially playing and recording and displaying the remote guide, will start to stutter/repeat and eventually will reboot itself, killing the recording (which usually does not restart) and making us crazy.

There are A LOT of programs in the WiRNS list and both Replays are nearly full (< 8h free space, I try to keep at least 4h free always).

Yes I have wandered around Planet Replay and other WiRNS hangouts and no I have not posted a log or debug log but there's nothing that appears interesting there.

Recommendations welcome -- and BTW if anyone could make a 'system' that does this sort of thing bulletproof - i.e. media-serve ReplayTV-like boxes without the cost, complication and ugliness of a PC desktop - they will make a boatload of money. MS Media Center and Tivo ain't there; if ReplayTV hadn't abandoned their legacy they might have made a go of it (needed a new generation of hardware and more debugging time on the software).
post #10 of 35 Old 02-05-2007, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Why did one of my 5504's suddenly go black and emit a high pitched tone out of my TV speakers yesterday, and then when I rebooted it couldn't find the network, and then when I rebooted it again worked fine and continues to do so today?
post #11 of 35 Old 02-05-2007, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Did this by chance happen after the superbowl?
post #12 of 35 Old 02-06-2007, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecow View Post

edit bonus: help me with the last one. What was the quote at the end of the movie 'seven deadly sins'. coarsely paraphrasing it went something like this. '''when i'm finished you marvel over this for centuries...'''

Are you talking about the movie Se7en? if so, I believe it is: "What I've done is going to be puzzled over and studied and followed... forever. "
post #13 of 35 Old 02-06-2007, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks!

"What I've done is going to be puzzled over and studied and followed... forever." -chicken
post #14 of 35 Old 02-06-2007, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rf75 View Post

2 Replays (5040 class, lifetime act.) and an Athlon 64 running 32 bit XP Pro SP2 and WiRNS latest everything. Both Replays have 160 meg or greater HD. WiRNS has 512G of show storage. All on the same LAN via a Linksys switch.

Problem: locking up in weird ways. WiRNS runs fine after a fresh install, but after a day or so WiRNS will not serve the channel or Replay guides - just never returns. Status, copnfig, etc work OK. Stop WiRNS, Start WiRNS and it works again - for a day or less, then same symptoms.

Other symptoms: Refresh Replays' guide (on WiRNS) never completes. Remove Replay #2 from the LAN and the WiRNS problem does not seem to occur. Reboot Replay #2 and the WiRNS problem does not seem to occur until the next time it tries to get guide from Replays.

WiRNS is able to get guide from both Replays, right after restarting. Only after a day or so does the problem occur - and once it occurs it sticks regardless of rebooting any Replays.

Other strange symptoms: on Replay #1 (for instance), when going to display the guide from either Replay #2 or WiRNS takes A Long Time to display the guide - up to a minute - and if it is playing a show and especially playing and recording and displaying the remote guide, will start to stutter/repeat and eventually will reboot itself, killing the recording (which usually does not restart) and making us crazy.

There are A LOT of programs in the WiRNS list and both Replays are nearly full (< 8h free space, I try to keep at least 4h free always).

Yes I have wandered around Planet Replay and other WiRNS hangouts and no I have not posted a log or debug log but there's nothing that appears interesting there.

Recommendations welcome -- and BTW if anyone could make a 'system' that does this sort of thing bulletproof - i.e. media-serve ReplayTV-like boxes without the cost, complication and ugliness of a PC desktop - they will make a boatload of money. MS Media Center and Tivo ain't there; if ReplayTV hadn't abandoned their legacy they might have made a go of it (needed a new generation of hardware and more debugging time on the software).

bump

Someone else can better answer this question because I don't use wirns.

However the bold part sounds like the replaytv is losing it's ip and getting another one, a common problem with replaytvs.
post #15 of 35 Old 02-06-2007, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:

Did this by chance happen after the superbowl?

Nope, was watching the FBR Open golf on a delayed basis (while it was still recording) right before the Super Bowl. The 5504 just lost video and emitted a high-pitched tone on audio. Thought my TV went on the fritz at first. My only guess is that my daughter was streaming a show from this one to my other 5504 and the one I was watching got into a bad state and locked up. But that doesn't explain why a cold reboot didn't get the network back at first. Weird stuff.
post #16 of 35 Old 02-06-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:

bump

Someone else can better answer this question because I don't use wirns.

However the bold part sounds like the replaytv is losing it's ip and getting another one, a common problem with replaytvs.

Thanks for the note, 'Cow, but I have static IP on the Replays and the WiRNS machine. Forgot to mention, whenever this state occurs, WiRNS is saying "REFRESHING REPLAYS" and it will say that indefinitely, until WiRNS is restarted.
post #17 of 35 Old 02-06-2007, 01:47 PM

Sounds like an instability issue in your WiRNS box? try updating WiRNS, or going to an older version to see if that helps. WiRNS should timeout when it's refreshing replays if they don't respond. Also verify the serial numbers for the replays put in your WiRNS config.

Another thing you can do is start WiRNS in console more and look at the errors that may pop up to get a clue.
post #18 of 35 Old 02-06-2007, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

bonus chicken joke

To watch a dog lick his own balls
post #19 of 35 Old 02-09-2007, 08:27 PM

What the hell is WiRNS and what does it get you?

I see a sig every once and awhile and apparently I need to have my head examined.

I love my Replay's (and my parents original showstopper, that started all of this)
I currently have 3 5040's with various HD upgrades.

I DVarchive like a fiend and have some (probably bad/not the best practice) weird methodology where I mount different USB enclosed HD and 'siphon off' shows depending on who they are for.

So I have a WIFE drive with more episode of Good Eats then one could ever watch.
KIDS drive with....you guessed it kids shows
MISC drive w/cool one time TV progs I want ie Nova, Bloopers, Specials
SPORTS so I can relive great moments in Collegiate Sports
LETTERMAN keep various letterman show (a throwback to the days when I'd record old LateNight shows on the VCR)

Anyway, They aren't all hooked up all of the time to my Computer dedicated to be a DVArchive box. Some stuff is on the DVA computer as well...mostly until I get enough to spend the time to 'move things around'
The WIFE and the KIDS drive are usually always connected.

I've gotten my head around a good number of things Thanks to the community on this forum. I images my own drive after learning about the process here.
Setup DVA and come to appreciate my RTV's all the more (Kudo's to Gerry for what has to be one of the all time greatest 'Let's see what I can do with this....' programming efforts I've seen.
Fought the DHCP bug....I think I have it on the run, still have issues every once and while not getting the guide to show up for each replay (perhaps cause they have to many entries?)
Dabbled with Poopli and successfully dl/ul shows. Yet another fantastic effort in the programming world.

But I haven't had the time to fully determine (read research the forums) what WiRNS is and how I can reap its benefits.

And for fear of getting shunned I dare not ask the question....until now

I have cable modem, digital cable and DTV service.
Actually my main RTV has DTV as its main channel numbers, Digital cable in the 1000's series channel numbers and then analog cable in the 2000's series channel numbers.
RTV #2 is DTV and then analog Cable
RTV #3 is just analog cable (with sling box attached)
post #20 of 35 Old 02-10-2007, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

WiRNS is the Windows Replay Network Server. It acts as a network and internet proxy for your ReplayTV, giving you such features as blocking ReplayTV software updates, customized channel lineup info served to your ReplayTVs, remote show record scheduling, and remote IVS sending, just to name a few. You can read about all the features by going to www.wirns.com . If you have any questions about specific features, you can ask them here in the amnesty forum, or go to the source at www.planetreplay.com

Ed Qualls - Just Add Power
post #21 of 35 Old 02-10-2007, 05:19 PM

Thanks for the reply, I couldn't recall who had that for their sig.
I'm gettin it straight from the source......

I guess what I am missing is, what is the Cool feature that makes WiRNS worth setting up?
I haven't looked at the site yet (I have looked at it and planetreplay in the past) so I should go over it once again.
But from what I can recall when I looked into it before I couldn't 'get it'
That is, I haven't figured out what it does that should have me getting my head examined cause I'm not using it.

Does help those who don't have lifetime units?
Or is it a big help for those that might be under served for the programming they receive, that is, no High-speed Inet acces and Modem service is no good becuase of long distance calls to the mother ship.
(thankfully this is an amnesty thread, as I think I just realized, the High speed Inet acces is not the issue, as you needs that for WiRNS I think yeah?)

I guess from custom guide standpoint, that might be a good thing in my case.
I have cable and DirectTV and my channel list has a bunch of channels I don't get.
But what does WiRNS get me/or how is it worth it to setup WiRNS vs the remove channels feature of my Replay units?

nded, is there one feature that you would hate to lose if you no longer had WiRNS? do you also use DVArchive?

The Remote scheduling, that can be accomplished with DVA as well? right or is there more to what WiRNS can do vs DVA in that area?
post #22 of 35 Old 02-10-2007, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I use DVArchive and IVSmagic, and WiRNS. A few of the things I really like about WiRNS are the following:

1 - A great TODO list
2 - The screen captures are really helpful when trying to assist others
3 - The custom guide function (let's me add/remove channels from all 4 Replays at once)
4 - The ability to enable IVS on my 5500's
5 - The guide updates are faster than the mothership
6 - The web based remote controller - I can ACCEPT a show send from anywhere in the world with internet access
7 - The web based guide and recording scheduler - I can setup a recording from anywhere in the world (have done this while in Taiwan once!)
8 - The belief that if/when the mothership dies, WiRNS will be the core to independent operation

post #23 of 35 Old 02-11-2007, 04:15 AM

I have a dumb question...see, it's the question that's dumb and not me...

...okay, my dumb question...

I transferred the pilot for the David Spade show, Rules of Engagement, hilarious stuff, wirelessly from a ReplayTV to one of my trust Powerbook G3 400s. When I open the file in mpeg streamclip, there's a very small bar of fuzz at the top of the screen.

My dumb question...can this fuzz be eliminated?

To clarify, I double-checked, and there's no fuzz on the recording for Rules on my TV. So I transferred the file using mReplay 069h. When I open that file in Mpeg Streamclip, there's a small bar of fuzz at the very top of the screen.

And there ya have it...my dumb question...

David
post #24 of 35 Old 02-12-2007, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

The fuzz is usually off the top and bottom of the screen on your TV. The top fuzz is actually the closed captioning... To get rid of the fuzz, you can either slide the window slightly off the screen, get a player with a clipping function to cut out the fuzz, or re-encode and crop the image.
post #25 of 35 Old 02-12-2007, 04:45 PM

Yah, the fuzz is what MPEG encoding does to the closed caption data signal which is in the scan lines normally not seen on regular TVs, but typical PC video players don't overscan like a TV does so you see the CC lines and after MPEG'ing adjacent lines are also affected so lines beyond (21? 22? whatever it is) are 'fuzzed'.

WiRNS for me is a great way to d/l from Replay to hard drive, it is smart enough to know when to d/l as fast as it can or when to slow down 'cause the Replay is busy and can't handle the load. Also has ways to record recurring shows only once (like HBO shows that repeat frequently), a guide showing what's on all Replays and the hard drive and identifying dupes, and the aforementioned IVS and guide downloading enhancements. I have DVA on one machine and WiRNS on another (actually a virtual machine, for various reasons). They get along fine with a couple tiny caveats.
post #26 of 35 Old 02-13-2007, 03:19 PM

Thanks for this thread, cause I was afraid to ask this.

BACKGROUND:
I'm a brand new ReplayTV owner. I bought two 4504s on ebay so as to link upstairs and downstairs. (That way I won't keep bringing food up to my bedroom!). (I'm also a former Tivo owner, so please pat me on my nervous back and tell me I made the right choice.)

Anyway, currently I have broadband via my cable company, a cable modem, and a Linksys G router connected to it in my third-floor attic office that I use for my desktop computer upstairs (hard wired) and my mobile laptop that I use around my house. I'm considering wireless G for my two ReplayTVs-- but there seems no easy answer, I've read these boards -- or waiting for wireless N and not streaming shows until it's ready.

I have cable connections all around my house, but only one ethernet connection because I only have one cable modem.

But here's my stupid question:

Since WIRED seems by all accounts to be the better solution, why can't I just buy a couple of cable modems, split the signal, attach one to each replayTV and the other to the cable modem to the ethernet to each replay TV? Is there some reason I can't have three cable modems in my house?

Again, I'm sorry if this is stupid...but heck, that's what this thread is for, right?
post #27 of 35 Old 02-13-2007, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie1 View Post

Is there some reason I can't have three cable modems in my house?

I'd guess you wouldn't have a problem until you tried to use more than one at the same time, which is what you're wanting to do.
post #28 of 35 Old 02-13-2007, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie1 View Post

Thanks for this thread, cause I was afraid to ask this.

BACKGROUND:
I'm a brand new ReplayTV owner. I bought two 4504s on ebay so as to link upstairs and downstairs. (That way I won't keep bringing food up to my bedroom!). (I'm also a former Tivo owner, so please pat me on my nervous back and tell me I made the right choice.)

Anyway, currently I have broadband via my cable company, a cable modem, and a Linksys G router connected to it in my third-floor attic office that I use for my desktop computer upstairs (hard wired) and my mobile laptop that I use around my house. I'm considering wireless G for my two ReplayTVs-- but there seems no easy answer, I've read these boards -- or waiting for wireless N and not streaming shows until it's ready.

I have cable connections all around my house, but only one ethernet connection because I only have one cable modem.

But here's my stupid question:

Since WIRED seems by all accounts to be the better solution, why can't I just buy a couple of cable modems, split the signal, attach one to each replayTV and the other to the cable modem to the ethernet to each replay TV? Is there some reason I can't have three cable modems in my house?

Again, I'm sorry if this is stupid...but heck, that's what this thread is for, right?

It sure would be nice if it worked that way, but even if this were possible (I don't think it is), then every device would be on 'out on the Internet' not on your local LAN. Your best bet is wired or wireless Ethernet.
post #29 of 35 Old 02-13-2007, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

The "new" ethernet over AC devices will let you use your house wiring to hardwire your Replays to your router. If you can't figure out how to pull the cable, they are the next best thing.

post #30 of 35 Old 02-13-2007, 06:37 PM

I pretty sure you could do this if your cable company allowed it. But if they did they would probably want to charge you for EACH cable modem.
And they would in fact be 'out there' directly connected to the Internet.

You need a router in the mix, that provides a rudimentary level of defens against bad guys on the Net and allows for 'splitting' of a network signal as it were. Once you have the router you can split network connects 'sorta' like you can split telephone connections only you need something a little more sophosticated then the splitter used for telephones. For networking its a switch....but that may not even be neccessary.

Most Routers today have 4 ports on them.

So your cable would come in, goes to your cable modem which then would connect to the WAN link on the router. Then you can connect your computers and replay to your network and find out all about the Network world of RTV's

I'm quite happily running 3 RTV's 5xxxx and my computers. I consider myself luck as my old allows allows for easy running of network cable so I am wired throughout the house.
I believe wireless is 'do-able' for streaming RTV to RTV but I'll leave that for those that are doing it....
I would thinK the wireless N standard coming out would benefit RTV quite nicely.
I have recently seen a nice Belkin Wireless N router w/4 wired ports that has a nice graphical lighted indication of what's working right on the unit it self. so if you have problems, it shows what part of the link is bad.

Troubleshooting is always fun cause there are a good number of factors. This little box supposedly indicates say if the WAN link is down (you cable modem is out for some reason) or if the wireless is not working right.

Hope that helps...
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page