IVS through wireless client bridge - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-03-2007, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i'm trying to set up a semi-temporary setup for a 5040 at my parents house, so though i would use wireless to get the job done quick and dirty.

the broadband cable modem is hooked to a USRobotics 54G router in a bedroom. i am trying to use a Zyxel P-330W to bridge the RTV to the router and it works for guide updates but not for IVS. The 330W is an interesting device in that it is a standard wireless 54G router, but has a special mode that lets it attach to a wireless network as a normal client (not WDS) and then it can setup its own network to wired devices attached to its ports.

i have this working on a computer system. you enter the network SSID and encryption keys, do a site survey and it will show the wifi networks around. you select the one you want and click connect and it will attach as a client, and issue a DHCP addresses to the computer and everything just works: web, email, IM, even torrenting.

in this config, the rtv can get guide data, but then i got greedy and tried to setup IVS. this doesn't work, because, i think, of the double NAT situation with the source router and then the client bridging router.

i tried putting the RTV in the DMZ of the bridging router, but that didn't work.

i tried setting up a port forward of the IVS port to the bridge on the source router, and then a port forward to the RTV's IP on the bridge , but that didn't work.

i tried putting the bridge on the same subnet as the source router (192.168.2.1) by setting the bridge to 192.168.2.100 and then turning off DHCP on the bridge and assigning the RTV a static IP 192.168.2.200 and setting the RTV's gateway to 192.168.2.1 (the source router). However, in this config, the RTV can't even get guide data.

Anyone know what convoluted setup I need to get this working?

Also, does anybody have an opinion on whether the client bridging technique is more bandwidth efficient than a WDS setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-05-2007, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by collin View Post

i tried putting the bridge on the same subnet as the source router (192.168.2.1) by setting the bridge to 192.168.2.100 and then turning off DHCP on the bridge and assigning the RTV a static IP 192.168.2.200 and setting the RTV's gateway to 192.168.2.1 (the source router). However, in this config, the RTV can't even get guide data.

Anyone know what convoluted setup I need to get this working?

Also, does anybody have an opinion on whether the client bridging technique is more bandwidth efficient than a WDS setup?

Reading the beginning of the post this was just what I was going to suggest. As this is how the DD-WRT third party firmware wireless bridging works in my Linksys setup. The main router connected to the modem is the one that assigns the IP addresses. I did try setting it as a static IP address on my bridged RTV and it worked, but a day or so later it went back to a dynamic IP address, not sure why. I haven't bothered to re-look at the issue.

As far as the advantages of WDS, from my research the only advantage is to extend your wireless network. It will actually halve the wireless speed (ie. 50% less bandwith efficient) than using a wireless bridge.
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page