"Press Select to Continue" on ViP 211 Dish receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-15-2007, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quick question: Has this annoyance in the Dish firmware ever been 'fixed' to a ReplayTV users satisfaction? Has anybody heard any news that it may be fixed in the near furure?

I have read through just about every thread on this problem in this forum and DBSTalk. There are many attempts to fix this problem by adjusting the Inactivity Timer, Update schedule, enabling and disabling certain features, etc and I have tried them all. For the most part, none of them work for everybody depending on the revision of firmware you have or the revsion of hardware (receiver) you have installed. Only one configuration seems to work for most people and it requires maxing out the Inactivity Timer and the setting four Auto Tune(s) at six hour intervals to keep the receiver awake and also allowing the receiver to sleep during the Update phase. And this does work, but it's not really a good fix because shows that record during those Auto Tune(s) are always in jeopardy.

I have called Dish a number of times and the consensus is that it is a 'bug'. All of their suggested workarounds are like of the ones you have read in various posts.
At least the frontline people at Dish are not aware of a fix anytime soon.

Maybe somebody has already worked out a hardware hack? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-15-2007, 06:44 PM

You are referring to the screen saver mode the receiver goes into when it turns off. I'm very satisfied with the work around I'm using. I posted this before:

I set up a manually scheduled time of 4:58 am to have the receiver turn on, instead of tuning to a show, in preparation for the day's programs I will record via Replay. Users of Dish may also want to disable the inactivity standby to avoid having the screen saver activate if you don't change the channel within 4 hours. You can do this by pressing the remote's menu/preferences/inactivity standby and set it disable. Then you can set the timer by clicking menu/timers/create timer. In the VCR column make any selection choice (I chose 9901-D1000). In the Timer Type column select Auto Tune. In the Timer Frequency column, select Daily. Then click the on-screen selection for Edit Time and set the time you desire. I decided to set my timer to start 2 minutes before the hour to avoid any potential timer conflicts between Replay and the receiver. You will notice on this setup screen the timer properties below indicate a duration set at just 1 minute. Don't worry about this. You can't change it anyway, and it won't shut the receiver down after the minute.

This is a good set-it and forget-it method. My Dish tuner is always ready to rock when my Replay tells it to. The only downside is that I leave the tuner turned on most of the day, but a small price for me to pay.

Cutrock

----------------------------------
Everyone has a right to a university degree in America, even if it's in Hamburger Technology.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-15-2007, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Cutrock. I am not sure that I follow all of your steps.

You said "I set up a manually scheduled time of 4:58 am to have the receiver turn on". Do you mean that you setup the 'Update' (Menu/Preferences/Updates) feature to 4:58AM?

Also, you said " I decided to set my timer to start 2 minutes before the hour ...". So you setup an Auto Tune to an arbitrary channel, also at 4:58AM?

Thanks. Junocat5
post #4 of 11 Old 03-16-2007, 12:29 AM

No, I leave the Dish's Update feature (Menu/Preferences/Update) on it's default setting which is enabled to activate at 3:00 am. This turns the receiver off so that program guide information can download. This will leave the unit off until you turn it back on. So, this is why I create a timer (menu/timers/create timer) to have the unit turn on at 4:58 am, however, you can set this timer to whatever you want. This gives me the freedom of knowing that basically from 5 am to 3 am my replay will be able to successfully record any program without accidentally encountering the screen saver, and yet, the receiver can still perform it's daily program guide updates.

BTW, in the steps to setting up the timer to turn the receiver back on, I mentioned I choose the setting 9901-D1000. This turns the unit on to channel 9901. This channel is just a screen that says, "Congratulations, you have a Dish 1000 System". It doesn't matter because the Replay's IR Blaster will now be able to change the channel to whatever I've asked it to record. I hope this helps clarify.

Cutrock

Everyone has a right to a university degree in America, even if it's in Hamburger Technology.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-16-2007, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Every Dish receiver I've had had a setup menu choice to turn off the "inactivity" function. Only problem is that it always defaults to ON whenever the software is updated. Other than that, it's been a non-issue.

||||||||||||||| Soylent Green is.......PEOPLE! Or is it a Status Bar? Ah, it's a dessert topping!
post #6 of 11 Old 03-16-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaysideBas View Post

Every Dish receiver I've had had a setup menu choice to turn off the "inactivity" function. Only problem is that it always defaults to ON whenever the software is updated. Other than that, it's been a non-issue.

Dish says that the receiver needs to update once a day for the program guide information. That's why I let it turn off at 3 am and program it to turn back on automatically afterward. I wouldn't want to risk having the receiver update software and then default back to the activity's "ON" position. I prefer to set it and forget it.

Cutrock

post #7 of 11 Old 03-16-2007, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

OK Cutrock, I am going to give that a try. Sounds like it should work and minimize the exposure to potential recordings. According to BaysideBas, after a software update, the Inactivity Timer will default back to 'Enabled'. Even your configuration requires manual intervention to set the Inactivity Tmer to 'Disable'. So does that mean that you have to periodically check the status of the Inactivity Timer to ensure it is still disabled? Thanks again for your help. I will post a reply after I check the results of this new configuration.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-16-2007, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I understand Cutrock, but guide updates are not software updates and, since I use the dish receiver strictly as a signal source for a Replay, updating the guide is not at all necessary. Once every few months I turn it off for a possible software update, and immediately afterwards disable the inactivity detector.

||||||||||||||| Soylent Green is.......PEOPLE! Or is it a Status Bar? Ah, it's a dessert topping!
post #9 of 11 Old 03-16-2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junocat5 View Post

OK Cutrock, I am going to give that a try. Sounds like it should work and minimize the exposure to potential recordings. According to BaysideBas, after a software update, the Inactivity Timer will default back to 'Enabled'. Even your configuration requires manual intervention to set the Inactivity Tmer to 'Disable'. So does that mean that you have to periodically check the status of the Inactivity Timer to ensure it is still disabled? Thanks again for your help. I will post a reply after I check the results of this new configuration.

Junocat5: I've only had Dish since the end of January. So, I can't confirm that the Inactivity timer will reset during a software update regardless of my preference settings. Also, I'm not sure how/when we would know when a software update occurs.

BaysideBas: That's a good approach you use! I hadn't thought of that. Still, believe it or not, I do like to switch to true HD via my HDMI connection to watch live programming once in a while. So, I may want to surf Dish's program guide. Sure, I hate the commercials and replay functionality, but still occasionally want to get the maximum enjoyment out of my Plasma tv by watching true HD once in a while...

Cutrock

post #10 of 11 Old 03-17-2007, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

OK Cutrock, so far so good. The 'Congratulations' screen was displayed this morning and although nothing was scheduled to record last night, I was instantly able to start recording via Replay without pressing the 'Select' button first.
My configuration is probably similar to yours in that I also enjoy switching over to HDMI to watch full HD but I sure miss the complete functionality of switching channels via ReplayTV. Since Replay doesn't do HD it now shares the Dish output instead of being the sole control of it. Kind of a bummer!
I know DNNA is not producing any hardware anymore, and that's a shame because there is a legion of ReplayTV owners out there that are ready and willing to buy an HD ReplayTV, and probably in quantity. Thanks. Junocat5.
post #11 of 11 Old 10-02-2007, 04:37 AM

I called Dish and they didn't have an answer to why the system was powered off every day even though I disabled the Inactivity Timer. Thanks for making that clear with the Guide Update.

I have set up a manual timer as suggested and hope that makes a difference.

Samsung LN46A850 - Onkyo HT-RC160 - Harmony 880
Sony KDFE-42A10
DishNetwork DVR722 & Vip622
ReplayTV 5504 - modded 250gb HD - For Sale
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page