WiRNS 2.0 - now works without Zap2it Lab data - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 09-12-2007, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
One could easily get the mistaken impression that the death of Zap2it Labs data put an end to WiRNS. Not true! WiRNS 2.0 is now available, and can get the proper tv listings data elsewhere. Hooray!

Most discussion relevant to WiRNS has moved to Planet Replay's WiRNS Forum, and I would recommend heading straight there rather than posting specific issues in a duplicate thread here at AVS. I just wanted to make an obvious pointer from here so that folks exploring wouldn't be lost. I'm not an expert, just a grateful user, and corrections to any info I put in here are most welcome. (I'll try to incorporate corrections into this top posting if this thread ends up staying active.)

Getting WiRNS installed and working is not trivial, but it has lots of rewards if you are up to doing some tinkering. This new version is still having some birth pangs (original pre-release was July 2007, forced by the impending death of Zap2it). So expect to devote some time to it if you are new to WiRNS (and possibly even if you've had the old version up and running for years.) Once it's all in place, though, it doesn't demand upkeep very often and provides all sorts of functionality you'll wonder how you ever lived without! Online scheduling, to-do lists of upcoming recording and conflicts, configurable channel lineups that work with satellite and multiple input sources (like if you get some channels on cable and others on satellite or even OTA/antenna, PPV, DISH), improved show searching. And it's DVArchive and IVSMagic compatable. There are even plugins that add yet more functionality.

WiRNS works with 4xxx and 5xxx series, and can be used to send and receive shows through Poopli.

WiRNS runs on Windows PCs that have .NET Framework v2.0 or higher installed. Sorry, no version for Mac. (After all, WiRNS stands for WIndows Replay Network Server).

So far the installation instructions at wirns.com still list the old method of getting a zap2it account. Disregard that - I'm sure the wirns.com website will be updated when the much more important work of smoothing out the wrinkles in WiRNS 2.0 is further along!

The New WiRNS can get its data from (at least) 2 different sources. DNNA provides data that is reportedly much simpler to get working, and probably will be sufficient for many people. However, there's an additional solution for users from Canada or other locations that DNNA does not provide data for, which involves using an XMLTV scraper.

Useful Tidbits

To download WiRNS, go to www.wirns.com.

General WiRNS discussion at Planet Replay Forum, including help with installation and configuration, and bug reports. (Same as linked above).

Discussion of getting the XMLTV Scraper to work with WiRNS 2.0, which is necessary if you need to remap channel due to receiving non-US broadcasts. This is especially helpful to our many Canadian ReplayTV users.

FROM WIRNS.COM:
WiRNS is the Windows Replay Network Server. It acts as a network and internet proxy for your ReplayTV, giving you such features as blocking ReplayTV software updates, customized channel lineup info served to your ReplayTVs, remote show record scheduling, and remote IVS sending, just to name a few.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 09-12-2007, 02:48 PM

Thanks ocraven

I just wanted to clarify that WiRNS 2.0 requires .NET 2.0 or higher.
post #3 of 29 Old 09-12-2007, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Remmer. I fixed it in the top post now.
post #4 of 29 Old 01-30-2008, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

WiRNS has been authorized as an approved application via Schedules Direct!

Many thanks to Robert Eden for following up with the companies after the DirecTV acquisition of ReplayTV.

WiRNS support for Schedules Direct is available via the updater.

The only caveat for now is that you cannot use both DNNA and Schedules Direct data at the same time.

You must set the ZipCode to 0 (zero) to use Schedules Direct data.

This is due to tmsid's being tied to the show data.

Go to the Schedules Direct home page and sign up using WiRNS as the application.
post #5 of 29 Old 01-30-2008, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Well that's Super!

Well done to all!
post #6 of 29 Old 01-31-2008, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

So I could run Wirns on my htpc and finally cull the baziilon channels I don't need guide data for because I faked the RTV out and told it that I had a Dish when in reality I have plain old OTA?
post #7 of 29 Old 09-04-2009, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

The official WiRNS 2.0 Production Release is now available.

It is an aggregate of all updates since the last 2.0 Preview release. As such you do not need to install this if you are already running WiRNS 2.0.

Supports both 32 and 64 bit environments.
Guide data delivery from ReplayTV® (DNNA) servers
Schedules Direct guide data Approved Application
XMLTV format Guide Data support

See the WiRNS Home Page for further Features and Installation instructions.
post #8 of 29 Old 10-26-2009, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I don't know if anyone cares, but I enhanced WiRNS to better support older ReplayTVs (2K/3K) and ShowStoppers. You can now configure WiRNS with older model numbers so that you can better control the net connect with WiRNS, like controlling the channel guide data and configuring lineups for the unit. Hopefully this will help with using WiRNS to create custom channel lineup information for using these older units with DTV converters. Here's what my WiRNS page looks like:

And, a big THANK YOU to gweempose for allowing me to take his 3060 off his hands so as to add this support!

Henry
post #9 of 29 Old 10-27-2009, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdonzis View Post

I don't know if anyone cares, but I enchanced WiRNS to better support older ReplayTVs (2K/3K) and ShowStoppers. You can now configure WiRNS with older model numbers so that you can better control the net connect with WiRNS, like controlling the channel guide data and configuring lineups for the unit. Hopefully this will help with using WiRNS to create custom channel lineup information for using these older units with DTV converters. Here's what my WiRNS page looks like:

And, a big THANK YOU to gweempose for allowing me to take his 3060 off his hands so as to add this support!

Henry

Confused:
I have a Panasonic ShowStopper 2000, but it doesn't have a network port...just dial-up modem. It does have a serial port.
Will WiRNS now work with this unit in some way?

Thanks Much,
Chris

Chris C
post #10 of 29 Old 10-27-2009, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrider2 View Post

I have a Panasonic ShowStopper 2000, but it doesn't have a network port...just dial-up modem. It does have a serial port.
Will WiRNS now work with this unit in some way?

You can read this thread and you can read these instructions. You have to create your own phone line to Ethernet router to convert the ShowStopper's dial up to Ethernet to connect to WiRNS. You can also find a very long thread about it in the AVSForum archive, like this one and this one...

Henry
post #11 of 29 Old 10-27-2009, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You can read this thread and you can read these instructions. You have to create your own phone line to Ethernet router to convert the ShowStopper's dial up to Ethernet to connect to WiRNS. You can also find a very long thread about it in the AVSForum archive, like this one and this one...

Henry

Henry,
Thanks for the quick response....sounds like a worthwhile project.
Need to do some reading....
Chris

Chris C
post #12 of 29 Old 11-10-2009, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I posted an update which gives the MyReplayTV.com support for pre-4K units using WiRNS! You can also view the ToDo, ReplayGuide, ChannelGuide, ShowSearch, etc. of pre-4K units through WiRNS!

Currently you can only schedule new show recordings via WiRNS as that was the only support WiRNS has, so you cannot edit existing recordings through WiRNS for pre-4K units nor 4K units. If I can figure it all out I will try to add support to edit existing recordings, which should go for both pre-4K and 4K units alike.

But, it should be very nice to be able to view a MyReplayTV.com-like inteface of pre-4K units through WiRNS!

Henry
post #13 of 29 Old 12-05-2009, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

YEAH! I posted an update which adds to be able to edit existing show recordings! It also adds to provide the MyReplayTV.com feature of being able to delete a recording schedule! These two features are available for both 4K and pre-4K users. In addition, it adds to be able to schedule to delete shows from pre-4K units.

Henry
post #14 of 29 Old 12-10-2009, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I posted another update which adds to be able to schedule to preserve shows via the ReplayGuide for pre-4K units...

Henry
post #15 of 29 Old 04-15-2010, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

WiRNS now supports being able to edit the lineup information provided by DNNA using the remapProvider.txt file. See the announcement here. This allows modifying lineup types, like changing a Satellite lineup into a Cable lineup so that you can use WiRNS' channel remapping to turn a local Satellite's local channels lineup into an OTA set top box lineup.

Henry
post #16 of 29 Old 08-29-2010, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

WiRNS 2.0.1.0 has been released. Check it out at WiRNS.com...

Henry
post #17 of 29 Old 09-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

WiRNS 2.0.1.0 has been released. Check it out at WiRNS.com...

Henry

Just ran a WiRNS update.....I have a WiRNS.exe version of 2.0.3881.29190....Is that the same as 2.0.1.0? Or does the new version require a complete uninstall/reinstall? The install info @ wirns.com didn't seem to make that clear.

Thanks For Your Time,

Chris C
post #18 of 29 Old 09-02-2010, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just ran a WiRNS update.....I have a WiRNS.exe version of 2.0.3881.29190....Is that the same as 2.0.1.0? Or does the new version require a complete uninstall/reinstall? The install info @ wirns.com didn't seem to make that clear.

After installing 2.0.1.0, my WiRNS.exe is version 2.0.3891.15225. However, I believe the only thing Ryan updated was for the installer itself to work better under Windows 7. So, if you don't need to install, you should be able to get the latest everything from the updater. There really shouldn't be a newer WiRNS.exe in the installer, so I don't know why your version is different than mine. I could simply be that Ryan rebuilt everything, which made everything have newer build numbers, but they aren't any different than the code in the updater...

Henry
post #19 of 29 Old 09-02-2010, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

OK...Again, Thank You.

Chris C
post #20 of 29 Old 09-19-2010, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I picked up a 4K so that I can better support them on WiRNS. I've posted updates which fix a couple of things, like theme recording qualities being incorrect...

Henry
post #21 of 29 Old 09-26-2010, 04:44 AM

It would be great if someone could make a VMWare image of WiRNS running on the optimal version of windows for all of us to download.

The VMware player is free. So all we would have to do is download the vmware player, download the image , do a couple of setting tweaks, and your done.

Anyone willing to do it?
post #22 of 29 Old 10-29-2010, 11:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4302933 View Post

It would be great if someone could make a VMWare image of WiRNS running on the optimal version of windows for all of us to download.

The VMware player is free. So all we would have to do is download the vmware player, download the image , do a couple of setting tweaks, and your done.

Anyone willing to do it?

That would be nice, but I'm sure Micro$haft would hit whomever did it.
post #23 of 29 Old 10-30-2010, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ryan has posted an updated install which bumps the version numbers to make things more clear...

Henry
post #24 of 29 Old 06-22-2011, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

I received a message from the 'Mother Ship' - ReplayTV---- that the service will be discontinued July 31st. Will this effect WiRNS?

Chris C
post #25 of 29 Old 06-22-2011, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I received a message from the 'Mother Ship' - ReplayTV---- that the service will be discontinued July 31st. Will this effect WiRNS?

Are you kidding?!
post #26 of 29 Old 06-22-2011, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Are you kidding?!

No....it ain't April either.

Not in with the regular messages. It comes up when I hit Guide...has a yellow 'remind me later' button, hit select, and it takes me to the guide. It only seems to work once...just tried it a second time today, but I didn't get the message then. The first time I noticed it was yesterday.

It has a Purple-and-blue background with a film reel superimposed on it.

Just tried my pani replay, it has the same words on a solid blue background with a yellow OK button.

Chris C
post #27 of 29 Old 06-22-2011, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not in with the regular messages. It comes up when I hit Guide...has a yellow 'remind me later' button, hit select, and it takes me to the guide. It only seems to work once...just tried it a second time today, but I didn't get the message then. The first time I noticed it was yesterday.

So, you really didn't see the TONS of posts below this sticky before you decide to post here?
post #28 of 29 Old 06-22-2011, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just tried my pani replay, it has the same words on a solid blue background with a yellow OK button.

Well .... DAH! @&#% went back one level....sorry I guess I should have looked a little further.

Chris C
post #29 of 29 Old 08-05-2011, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

We are all the way back to WiRNS 2.1 the original mothership and now this plugin.

(funny how things come full circle like that)
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page