Help! Stuck on Service Activation screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 12-22-2007, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All - it's been a really long time since I've posted here, but I'm a long-time 4xxx user, with three in my house at the moment. One of them is stuck in the service activation screen, even though it's a lifetime unit. It was working fine for years til today.
I cannot get to the setup menu - hitting Menu brings up the service activation screen.
Forcing a net connect through 243-zones popped a message saying that it was unable to connect. I changed my ethernet router a few months ago and didn't have any problems. But I think this replay had a hardcoded ip address and dns server. My guess is that the dns server is now bad so the replay can no longer phone home.
I know I can get around it by doing a full reset (382-zones) but I really don't want to lose the many shows I have on the hard drive.
I plugged in an old 4500 hard drive I had lying around, and did a full reset on it, and it connected and fired up. I thought if I plugged the old hard drive back in, it would remember the network settings. But it didn't work: same issue - service activation.
Since I cannot access the setup menu, is there any other way I can change my network settings without doing a full reset?
Or can I possibly move my network configuration settings from one hard drive to another?
The funny thing is that I can see the replaytv from my other replays, so I guess I could use DVA to move the shows that I want to keep to my pc. But I'd really rather keep them on the device itself. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-22-2007, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Network setting are contained on the disk, not the unit.

I seem to remember running into this once a long time ago (before upgrading my 4k's) hit menu and UP ARROW select as fast as possible and it will drop you ito the sytem config menu. Adjust ip settings from there.

Still no news from New Zealand.
If we ever get any, we'll be sure to let you know.
post #3 of 15 Old 12-22-2007, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response, rm. It's late and maybe I'm tired, but it seems that as soon as I hit Menu the service activation screen pops up with no chance to hit Select, let alone Up Arrow/Select.
I noted RTVPatch has an option to "Copy System Partition". Do you think if I did that between my test hard drive and the one whose data I want to keep it will copy my configuration data?
post #4 of 15 Old 12-22-2007, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I got impatient and tried something I shouldn't have. My goal was to move the configuration information from one drive to another, but preserve the shows on the destination. I used RTVPatch to move the system partition, then I patched the drive, selecting "Yes" when prompted if I want to preserve the shows on the MPEG partition.
When I put the drive back in the device, I didn't have the Service Activation screen any more, but I have no shows in my replay guide.
Is there any way to extract or otherwise restore my drive so that I can at least get my shows back?
Please, my wife will kill me if she learns that all her General Hospitals from the last 2 weeks have been lost!
post #5 of 15 Old 12-22-2007, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbanzon View Post

Thanks for the quick response, rm. It's late and maybe I'm tired, but it seems that as soon as I hit Menu the service activation screen pops up with no chance to hit Select, let alone Up Arrow/Select.
I noted RTVPatch has an option to "Copy System Partition". Do you think if I did that between my test hard drive and the one whose data I want to keep it will copy my configuration data?

Copying the system partition from one drive to the other will work, but you will loose the shows if you were to undertake what you are describing.

As for the barricade with the activation screen, you should be able to get into the setup menu somehow. Either by pushing OK and letting the connection time out, or EXIT, or via one of the zone commands. I'll have to think about it some more, maybe I'll remember or someone else will remember.

post #6 of 15 Old 12-22-2007, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, I got impatient and tried something I shouldn't have. My goal was to move the configuration information from one drive to another, but preserve the shows on the destination. I used RTVPatch to move the system partition, then I patched the drive, selecting "Yes" when prompted if I want to preserve the shows on the MPEG partition.
When I put the drive back in the device, I didn't have the Service Activation screen any more, but I have no shows in my replay guide.
Is there any way to extract or otherwise restore my drive so that I can at least get my shows back?
Please, my wife will kill me if she learns that all her General Hospitals from the last 2 weeks have been lost!

*sigh* that's what I get for starting a response (above) that told you not to do that, then going and making dinner...

Pull the drive, install it in your computer, run extract_rtv5, import the shows into DVArchive.

post #7 of 15 Old 12-23-2007, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, rm.
I did indeed pull the drive to try extract_rtv5. I'm not totally clear on how it works, but if I use -dd it doesn't return anything. Using -e created an empty .tmp directory. It may be reading from the index that I had just overwritten with a fresh install. The really bad thing I did was that I didn't make an image of my target drive before I copied the system partition on it. If had done that, at least I might have kept some of the data I need. Do I have any recourse now, or am I SOL?
post #8 of 15 Old 12-23-2007, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

The show names and descriptions are gonners. You can still do a manual extraction and manual import into DVArchive though. You will have to assign names, the length variable is not requirred to be accurate though.

extract_rtv5 -u -e

The fileset names contain a datestamp as part of the name, so this should help you get them in the right order.

post #9 of 15 Old 12-23-2007, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

So does extract_rtv5 -u -e simply list the files, or is it actually extracting them? This is running in another window right now, but I don't see any files being generated. Should this be writing somewhere?
post #10 of 15 Old 12-23-2007, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

So does extract_rtv5 -u -e simply list the files, or is it actually extracting them? This is running in another window right now, but I don't see any files being generated. Should this be writing somewhere?

Actually, -u and -e don't go together. -u will display a list of deleted files. You'll also want to use the -p2 option to see the deleted show files. Using the -ur will extract all of the deleted show files (the -p2 option isn't necessary with -ur). Or, if you only want to extract some of the deleted shows files, then you use the information from using the -u option to use the -r option to recover individual deleted show files (with the -p2 option)...

By the way, in addition to all the Replay's settings being contained on the system partition, all the show information is also contained on the system partition (makes sense, huh?). So, that is why you lost all your shows on the second drive by copying the system partition from the first drive...

Henry
post #11 of 15 Old 12-23-2007, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the corrections Henry.

I't been a long time since I've had to run those options.

post #12 of 15 Old 12-27-2007, 09:04 PM

Ive got this same issue on my 4500. Can Replay fix this? The website and phone they give dont work or help

mark
post #13 of 15 Old 01-01-2008, 08:45 PM

I seem to be having the same problem. Stuck in the activation screen.

Any additional ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Jay
post #14 of 15 Old 01-04-2008, 09:13 PM

Ditto here. One of 2 45xx's quit around the first and couldn't net connect no matter what we did.

Factory reset, thankfully, fixed it. Weird though, huh.
post #15 of 15 Old 01-05-2008, 08:48 PM

I may have gotten to the bottom of this...

I had this problem, and in my case one of the configuration files on the Replay had become corrupt. This prevented the unit from connecting, and also made it think that it wasn't authorized. It took a while, but I just figured out how to get my unit operational again (without losing any programming) by using extract_rtv5.

If you're not tied to keeping the programming, then a factory reset is definitely the way to go (because it's so easy). In my case, though, I had around 170 shows stored on the drive, and some of the Replay channels can't be reprogrammed because the shows are on hiatus. Thus it was worth it for me to pull the drive and experiment with extract_rtv5.

If anyone still has a system that's stuck on the service activation screen and wants to try to recover it, the following may help. Before proceeding, let me say that this should be done only as a last resort, as it may not resolve your problem, and could conceivably make things worse. Also, There may well be a much easier way to do this (that someone who knows the internals better than I can put together), but these steps worked for me:

1. Use RTVPatch to prep another drive (of any size), install it into the unit, and do a factory reset.

2. Configure the unit (via the setup screen) EXACTLY as it was configured before the problem occurred. (I'm only talking about the setup screen here... not any show information.)

3. Pull the new drive, and use extract_rtv5 to read the file sysconfig.reg. (This can be done using the command extract_rtv5 -p1 -e ./user/Registry/sysconfig.reg)

4. Write the file from the "good" drive to the "bad" drive. (This can be done using the command extract_rtv5 -p1 -w ./user/Registry/sysconfig.reg sysconfig.reg)

5. If you're lucky, then step 5 was successful and you can move directly to step 6. In my case, the good file was much bigger than the bad file, and extract_rtv5 couldn't write it. (I think that extract_rtv can only write to the drive if it doesn't need to play with the file allocation table.) If extract_rtv5 can't write the file, then you'll need to edit it to make it smaller. Fortunately, the file is in XML format, so editing it is reasonably easy. I simply removed entries that didn't appear to be related to network or authorization (such as the input settings), and was eventually able to write the file.

6. Re-install the "bad" drive (which has the updated sysconfig.reg) and turn on the Replay. If all goes well, you should no longer be trapped on the activation screen.

7. If you had to modify sysconfig.reg in step 5, then you need to go into setup and re-establish all of your settings. This will likely cause a re-connect. In my case, the unit froze when attempting to combine the data, but a reboot caused the unit to come up just fine. Your sysconfig.reg should now be much larger, so you should be able to pull the drive again and use extract_rtv5 to copy the "good" copy (which may still contain entries that are missing in the copy that's on the machine). I did this just in case. Once the good version of sysconfig.reg is on the drive, you can reinstall it into the Replay.

8. The unit should now be restored to normal operation.

Hope this helps.

-- Mark
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page