Hooking up computer to Onkyo Receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-28-2008, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would like to hook-up the video and audio from my Dell computer to my Onkyo Receiver TX-SR605 receiver and thus a 7.1 surround sound system hooked up to a Samsung LN-T5781F 57" LCD Flat Screen. The purpose is to play video games, saved on my PC, I have onto the LCD Flat Screen with possible surround sound.

Sound Card: Creative SB Live
Video Card: Radeon X1300/X1550 Series

Questions:

1- What is the best audio/video cable connection configuration to do the job. Attachment shows a picture of the back of my computer (sound card on top and video card on bottom)?

2- Do I have to change the sound card to transfer 7.1 surround sound to receiver?

3- Do the PC games have to be in surround sound? How do I know if they are?

The Onkyo receiver has the following inputs:

HDMI
component video in
S-Video in
Optical Digital in
Coaxial Digital in
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-02-2008, 05:33 PM

DVI to HDMI for video (I think it'll work....someone correct me if I'm wrong...)

If you have the 5.1 analog inputs on your receiver you can do three 3.5mm to dual RCAs for the audio side. It's not 7.1, but it would work.

Alternatively, get a new sound card with a digital audio out (either coax or optical)
post #3 of 9 Old 04-09-2008, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 45
affiatati7,
I have the exact same Dell...and have been trying to find an answer to that for some time....I have no answer at this point, but have finally made the decision to just make the attempt to hook things up....and run some tests. As I understand it...green is standard desktop speakers, the black output is digital...with the yellow for lfe...

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #4 of 9 Old 04-10-2008, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
You may want to ask this question in the Onkyo 605 thread, someone there could have an answer for you.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-10-2008, 05:08 PM

I've got my Dell video going to my 7.1 Onkyo 805 via DVI to HDMI. It works good, but you sometimes have to change the PC aspect ratio output and the TV aspect ratio to get the proper picture sizing on the TV.

My audio is hooked up to the Onkyo, I've got the 3.5mm jack coming out of the green speaker output of the computer. The other side of the cable is a dual RCA jack into the Onkyo. I doubt my computer could even output 7.1. I usually just use one of the Onkyo's presets and it does a decent job.

I would be interested in knowing how you end up configuring yours.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-03-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerammer View Post

My audio is hooked up to the Onkyo, I've got the 3.5mm jack coming out of the green speaker output of the computer. The other side of the cable is a dual RCA jack into the Onkyo. I doubt my computer could even output 7.1. I usually just use one of the Onkyo's presets and it does a decent job.

I would be interested in knowing how you end up configuring yours.

I am running my pc's audio into my Onkyo 705 using the same method (mini-jack to rca). I find that the 'psuedo-surround' listening modes work great. I use tv logic for some shows that I download. Use Nueral 5.1 for movies.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-21-2008, 08:44 AM

Hey just to give you a heads up. If that is a Creative SB Sound Card from a Dell then you might have a Digital Audio Out via SPDIF. I believe there is an adapter somewhere that converts a mini jack to SPDIF. This would do pretty much the same thing as 3 mini jack to RCA's, but via SPDIF.

Hope this helps somewhat.

**Edited optical to SPDIF I thought it was optical but did some research and it is only coaxial (SPDIF). My apologies.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-21-2008, 09:40 AM

Liked: 12
The CL Live is only a 5.1 card, so you won't be able to get true 7.1 audio, unless the remaining channels are somehow simulated. I think with video games, in order to achieve surround sound, you have to use the analog outputs don't you? With that being said, the Green jack is your main speakers, the Black jack is your surround speakers and the Yellow jack is your center channel/LFE speakers (it also doubles as your digital output jack).

You should also open the box, look at the SB# on the CL card, and see if you can use the KX Drivers (compatibility chart on the KX website http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/) The KX Drivers allow for alot more variety/control of the EMU micro, when using the right CL Live/Audigy card.

My web-o-information:
http://sites.google.com/site/maycreates/
Where I discuss the following projects
-DIY multi-zoning music distribution
-HTPC
-MediaPVR
-UnRAID Server
-and other projects
post #9 of 9 Old 05-29-2008, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
To truely get 5.1/7.1 sound out of the dell, you got a few choices. 1st, assuming you current card is supported by this:
http://www.soundblaster.com/products...6&product=1780

You just need to feed it out digitally to your onkyo.

If it's not supported, go out and buy another sound card with digital spdif out and run that to the onkyo. there's tons of cheap sound card with built in optical/coaxial spdif output.
Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page