Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RezzenDig View Post

this one is even better I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GxknaGOR1s

Funny, but I like the other link better.
I'd post it in my signature but I am not sure how well it would be recieved by the mods.

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 132 Old 12-30-2008, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Several things just don't bode well with Monster Cable right now...

1. In the last couple years there has been a major switchover from analog to digital cables. It's debateable, but folks I respect state that they can see a difference in analog cables (like component) and they say that some are worth the extra money. Most people feel that digital is digital and it's generally not worth paying for more expensive cables. I remember when people didn't mind spending $100 or so for a set of component cables, but from what I can tell, save for a few people with long runs for projectors, most people aren't the same way with HDMI cables.

2. With the internet and places like Monoprice, there are pricing differences/competition like never before. Monster looks really bad when somebody compares a $5 Monoprice cable to one of their $100+ cables and there is zero difference. It looks even worse when you have a video of Noel Lee talking about the "value" of Monster Cables.

3. Since HDMI carries both audio and video this has cut down on the needed number of cables. Just a couple years ago, for my universal DVD player I was running component, 6 RCAs for hi res audio, & optical. This issue is affecting all A/V cable makers.

4. While all of this is going on, Monster is going lawsuit crazy and their reputation is being further tarnished with every passing minute. The internet is spreading the word about the issue like wild fire.

Granted HDMI cables aren't Monsters' only product, but they are facing competition like never before on every product they sell.

With all of that said, I'll restate what I said in a prior post...

Monster needs to 1) realize that even though he may have trademark rights to the word Monster, that it is still an ubiquitous word, 2) stop trying to control every use of it, and 3) get back to making cables that stand out and are value priced in the current A/V world (and that doesn't mean doing things the same as 30 years ago......or even 3 years ago).

Have an Onkyo 805 receiver and having trouble setting up Audyssey? HERE is a mini how-to.Click HERE to check out my comparison review of 5 different projection screen fabrics.
post #123 of 132 Old 12-30-2008, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk112000 View Post

Funny, but I like the other link better.
I'd post it in my signature but I am not sure how well it would be recieved by the mods.

Yeah you can't go wrong with either one really. I still love how he uses the term mongol as if it means anything in that context.
post #124 of 132 Old 12-30-2008, 06:20 PM

Liked: 11
Chad, you hit the nail on the head. The internet, emerging technologies, and competitors are changing the A/V landscape. The word is out on overpriced cables and the Monster brand is hurting because of it. Monster better figure out a way to innovate its business before it goes out of business. The beauty of the free market is that no single company can stay on top forever. There is always someone nipping at the top dog's heels and becoming complacent can mean the company's destruction.
post #125 of 132 Old 12-31-2008, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Until you can get places like Best Buy to change their stance on Monster Cable, there will always be un-suspecting and un-informed customers to take advantage of.
When people research for their new HD TV, the last thing they think about is cables to hook it up.
They just want to set it up and enjoy their new purchase.
I always keep extra HDMI and component cables around the house that I buy from Monoprice just for such occasions. Heck they are so cheap... how can you not?

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
post #126 of 132 Old 12-31-2008, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk112000 View Post

Until you can get places like Best Buy to change their stance on Monster Cable, there will always be un-suspecting and un-informed customers to take advantage of.
When people research for their new HD TV, the last thing they think about is cables to hook it up.
They just want to set it up and enjoy their new purchase.
I always keep extra HDMI and component cables around the house that I buy from Monoprice just for such occasions. Heck they are so cheap... how can you not?

Couldn't agree more. During Christmas I went to my brothers house. They have an HDTV and PS3. They had it connected over the composite inputs. I am trying to play "Call of Duty of World at War" with my nephew and it looked atrocious. I got behind the set and saw the connection and just .

I called Radio Shack: $40 for a 6' HDMI cable! I called a buddy and he happened to have a $7 10ft monoprice cable. Worked like a charm. My brother and nephew couldn't believe the difference.

They thought because they had spent all this money that it had to be HD. I won't even get started about a buddies son who spent 8K on his home theater and had just the RCA stereo cables hooked up...

An audiophile likes to talk about how much they spent and how good it sounds.

A DIY'er likes to talk about how little they spent and how good it sounds.

post #127 of 132 Old 01-07-2009, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Some people mentioned shipping the cables back to Monster. Even better (though it's cost you some $), ship back the cables with the lifetime warranty (damaged of course to "reasonable use") and have them spend their money to repair them and send back to you.

Then, repeat. Over. And Over.

That'd be more damaging.
post #128 of 132 Old 01-07-2009, 11:11 AM

Location: Derby City, USA- a blue oasis in a sea of red-state insanity...
Liked: 15
Just heard on NPR's show "Day to Day" that Monster Cable has settled with Monster Mini Golf- Noel Lee is even paying their legal fees!! Guess a lot of bad publicity does wonders for settling frivolous lawsuits... npr.org
post #129 of 132 Old 01-07-2009, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrowe125 View Post

Just heard on NPR's show "Day to Day" that Monster Cable has settled with Monster Mini Golf- Noel Lee is even paying their legal fees!! Guess a lot of bad publicity does wonders for settling frivolous lawsuits... npr.org

Here's the link:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=99080053
post #130 of 132 Old 01-07-2009, 01:05 PM

Location: Derby City, USA- a blue oasis in a sea of red-state insanity...
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayW View Post

Here's the link:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=99080053

Thanks! Still haven't figured out how to post links yet...
post #131 of 132 Old 01-07-2009, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Thumbs up to Monster Cable for realizing they were off track.
post #132 of 132 Old 01-07-2009, 02:56 PM

Liked: 13
Thumbs up to everyone except monster, for smacking these *******s down!
Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page