AVS Forum banner

UBYTE-2 Parts?

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  RodG 
#1 ·
I was interested in building these as an A-B comparison between them and plain 12AWG stranded. I haven't jumped on the exotic cable bandwagon, just curious if I would notice a difference. Anyway, the required main component is coax cable with teflon foam or air-spaced dielectric, solid copper center conductor, and a copper foil shield. I'm having trouble locating a supplier that ships to the US. It seems to be widely used in the UK for satellite, but the stuff I have found here used aluminum or mylar foil-not usable. Does anyone know where to get this stuff? On UK websites it goes by WF100 Low-Loss Satellite designation.

#3 ·
Thanks but my problem is that all of the many types of coax that I've been able to find on the web from suppliers who ship to the US use some sort of metal impregnated mylar(plastic) or aluminum foil for their shield. The Ubyte-2 design calls for using 100% copper foil shield as one of the conductors. The required type of coax is available on UK websites, but the UK supplier that the TNT site lists (Maplin, who does ship internationally) has switched from the copper foil shield as well. All the UK sites I have found carrying the proper cable don't ship internationally. When I looked through the Belden catalogue, none of their stuff has copper foil. A Chinese factory middleman site has cables listed with ambiguous descriptions like"100% copper foil or aluminum shield". Are we just not supposed to have access to coax with copper foil shielding in the US?

#4 ·
I'm positive this 2+ year old reply is too late, but thought I'd throw some info out anyway in case it's useful for anybody. I too am searching for the same cable, and found these Belden equivalents. I haven't found any NA suppliers yet, though:

Belden Copper-foil shield coaxes:
  • suitable for the UBYTE-2 "cross-connected" coax speaker cable design
  • all below are bare copper solid conductor with Cu-foil shield and Cu-braid shield of varying coverage% as listed below

Note: the braided portion of the shield would be cut away per the UBYTE-2 design receipe

-model conduc. diam /braid coverage%/wire insulation/jacket insulation

-CT100C0 1.0mm BC/53%/PE/PVC

-H124C02 1.0mm BC/53%/PE/LSNH

-H109C00 1.0mm BC/55%/PE/PVC

-H125C01 1.0mm BC/40%/PE/PVC

-H125C04 1.0mm BC/40%/PE/FRNC/LSNH

-H121C00 0.8mm BC/45%/PC/PVC

-PRG7C01 1.2mm BC/40%/PE/PE

-PRG7C00 1.2MM BC/40%/PE/PVC

-Rod

#5 ·
Thanks RodG. I was looking for a coaxial cable myself.

There is a Belden distributor in my country.

i checked out the belden site but, could not find the reference nos. you are mentioning in your post.

Could you help me with the link from which you got the info. I will PM you also since this is a old thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.