Adding external fan to projector to help with cooling - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 12-31-2008, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Gridlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone experimented with adding an external fan to a projector where it vents its heat? Unless it was a coincidence, the projector bulb lasted much longer after adding the small fan. I had purchased a Sanyo Z2 which blew it's initial lamp after only a few months (projector was run for approx 10-15 hours/week at the low lamp setting). I started reading stories about inadequate cooling causing premature lamp failure, so decided to mount a small external fan to the side vent to draw heat out of the unit. The next lamp lasted for the remaining life of the unit (over 4 years)! I just purchased a new Sanyo Z60 which also seems to run hot, and am contemplating mounting the fan to it as well.

Has anyone tried doing this? It's a very simple installation (the fan screws fit perfectly in the vent holes, and I added small rubber washers to prevent fan vibration from vibrating the projector), and seems to make the unit run MUCH cooler. Is there any downside to doing this?
Gridlock is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 01-01-2009, 07:09 PM
 
ChrisWiggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 20,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Shouldn't be, as long as you've got the fan pointed the right direction and you're not screwing up the flow of air in the unit unnaturally.
ChrisWiggles is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 01-03-2009, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Gridlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles View Post

Shouldn't be, as long as you've got the fan pointed the right direction and you're not screwing up the flow of air in the unit unnaturally.

Thanks; the fan draws hot air out of the unit. I'm surprised I haven't heard others trying this as I would think that running it cooler can potentially increased the life of both the lamp and projector.
Gridlock is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 01-05-2009, 07:55 PM
Senior Member
 
hemster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post

Thanks; the fan draws hot air out of the unit. I'm surprised I haven't heard others trying this as I would think that running it cooler can potentially increased the life of both the lamp and projector.

A word of caution... making the airflow rate higher than factory spec might increase the chances of getting a duct blob on the panel(s)!

Relentless pursuit of perfection... within budget!
hemster is online now  
post #5 of 12 Old 01-07-2009, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Gridlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemster View Post

A word of caution... making the airflow rate higher than factory spec might increase the chances of getting a duct blob on the panel(s)!

Thanks for the tip; I hadn't thought of that. However, I have used the same fan on the Z2 for a few years with no adverse affects as far as dust blobs; in fact it seemed to help clear the unit of dust since I used to have issues with dust that seemed to resolve itself after I installed the fan. The fan is not very high RPM; just enough to help extract the very hot air.
Gridlock is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 02-11-2009, 09:45 AM
Newbie
 
pzx555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
We have a PLCXT-16 Sanyo and it keeps getting shut down when hot air blows from the ceiling. Therefore we've been mulling over installing an external fan and I happened to come across this post. Where could I find that part and how can I install it?
Any help would be appreciated ....
pzx555 is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 02-15-2013, 04:10 PM
Newbie
 
Kim Idk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post

Has anyone experimented with adding an external fan to a projector where it vents its heat? Unless it was a coincidence, the projector bulb lasted much longer after adding the small fan. I had purchased a Sanyo Z2 which blew it's initial lamp after only a few months (projector was run for approx 10-15 hours/week at the low lamp setting). I started reading stories about inadequate cooling causing premature lamp failure, so decided to mount a small external fan to the side vent to draw heat out of the unit. The next lamp lasted for the remaining life of the unit (over 4 years)! I just purchased a new Sanyo Z60 which also seems to run hot, and am contemplating mounting the fan to it as well.


Has anyone tried doing this? It's a very simple installation (the fan screws fit perfectly in the vent holes, and I added small rubber washers to prevent fan vibration from vibrating the projector), and seems to make the unit run MUCH cooler. Is there any downside to doing this?



What kind of fan was it?
Kim Idk is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 02-15-2013, 07:46 PM
DGF
Senior Member
 
DGF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Los Gatos, CA
Posts: 484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I've run additional fans for both my Benq 8700 and Epson 8350 - prior to adding the supplemental cooling/'stirring' the Benq would frequently kick into its high-speed fan mode to cool down the bulb (with a dramatic increase in noise). I use 12v fans (a pair) and control their speed using a variable output wall-wart - I was able to dial in an RPM rate that was a good compromise between air flow and fan noise. I'm really pleased with the whole mod.

One thing I pondered was whether to place the fans in front or behind the projector - I opted for rear placement because it was better aesthetically, but I wondered if pulling air through versus pushing would make a difference.
DGF is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 05-18-2013, 05:39 PM
Newbie
 
cowboyusa34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
my projector is in a huge closet with bifold doors with an attic door to a crawl space .the closet is in my bedroom so to get a 120 inch picture on my bedroom wall had to run the projector from my closet which all and all works out great.. I ran duct work from the side of the projector couple inches from the projector itself not touching it ran the duct work up to a twin fan laying across the crawl space area keeps my room kooler as well as the projector also have small duct work from one side of my ac just blowing into my closet with a little added coolness ..its mainl;y keep my room from getting really hot. im on the second floor but all and all I see a difference in room temps and I think it actually helping my projector to a small degree as well ..I have a vivitek 1080 hd ty.
cowboyusa34 is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 08-12-2013, 12:51 PM
Member
 
fedocable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know it's an old thread, but maybe I can find some help here. I have an Epson 8350, which I had to place much too close to the rear wall, since I'm really pushing the projection distance. It is about 4 inches from the wall, and unfortunately the air intake is right there on the back of the projector. So I thought about adding one or two 12v rear fans to help the air flow. How should I do this, given my limited space? Should I just make them blow directly on the intake at a minimum distance, or would it be better to have two fans blowing in diagonal one on each side? Any tips would be very very welcome.
fedocable is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 08-13-2013, 10:58 AM
Member
 
fedocable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Another possible option, and maybe better, would be to hang a medium table fan at some distance at a side if the pj, so to help with the air flow back there and at the same time keep the whole pj cooler. How about that?
fedocable is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 08-14-2013, 01:38 PM
DGF
Senior Member
 
DGF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Los Gatos, CA
Posts: 484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedocable View Post

I know it's an old thread, but maybe I can find some help here. I have an Epson 8350, which I had to place much too close to the rear wall, since I'm really pushing the projection distance. It is about 4 inches from the wall, and unfortunately the air intake is right there on the back of the projector. So I thought about adding one or two 12v rear fans to help the air flow. How should I do this, given my limited space? Should I just make them blow directly on the intake at a minimum distance, or would it be better to have two fans blowing in diagonal one on each side? Any tips would be very very welcome.

I have an Epson 8350 too - it's installed in a tray/coffered-ceiling and because of the way I have it set up, the space immediately behind it is very limited. I use a couple of 5" or 6" ducts with 90 degree elbows and a pair of variable-speed PC fans to get cooler air into the vicinity of the intake - this has worked well (no problems after 20 months), even with relatively high temps in the theater. A couple of thoughts: it's important to make sure that you're not 'ingesting' the warmed exhaust air back into the projector - this rapidly escalates to something that's not pretty! Also, however you achieve it, you must supply the projector with a sufficient volume of air so that the PJ's own fan is never throttled back - better to over-supply cooler air than to have it restricted - you don't have to force air into the internal fan, but it must have the right throughput volume to allow it to do what it was designed to do. I wasn't quite sure what you meant by having "...two fans blowing in diagonal one on each side...", but having a pair of small fans flanking the rear of the 8350, perpendicular to the back-front airflow, could work nicely - you could experiment with blanking pieces to make a very crude plenum chamber in the void behind the PJ, and if possible, maybe consider sucking air in well away from the heated air in front of the unit.

Bottom-line is that what you're trying to do is very workable - you just need to dial in some of the variables and see how the Epson reacts.

Dave
DGF is offline  
Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off