ir receiver / transmitter - what do i need?!? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-09-2009, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi everyone.

first time poster, but have read and researched here a lot. i read through previous posts about ir systems but couldn't find what i'm looking for.

my parents had a home theater installed with the tv mounted; and the cable box, amp and dvd player were concealed in a cabinet. there was an ir receiver attached under the tv that worked with the comcast remote; then - in the cabinet, each component individually had something stuck to the front window (what i assume is the remote receiver).

on a lesser, do-it-myself budget, i want to conceal my cable box and dvd player underneath a dresser. i've searched multiple websites and have found the blaster-type things, but am unsure of what exactly i need. bought one from radio shack but wasn't what i wanted (surprise).

are there any kits available for purchase in the ~$50 range? if not - what would i need individually to make my own system? if necessary - i'll sacrifice the dvd player and just use the cable box with the tv if it means more options or a cheaper total cost.

any guidance is appreciated!

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-15-2009, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
In order for the blaster to work well, the emitter has to be back far enough to be able to shoot a signal to all of your components. Because of this, it might not work for you. For a hardwired system like your parents have, you need 4 pieces: receiver, connecting block, power supply, emitter(s). Take a look at the Hot Link Pro. A lot of people here have had good luck with it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00023JJV6

Edit: Just did a search. I didn't know about the non plasma proof receiver. Might want to do more research. Other brands include Xantech, Niles and Buffalo.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post13587437
post #3 of 6 Old 05-16-2009, 08:55 AM

I have used the Next Generation Remote Extender and it works well. It has a port that you can hook emitter(s) up to that would work. It works out of line of sight from your remote. It has been very reliable for me and is pretty cheap.
post #4 of 6 Old 05-21-2009, 12:28 PM

You can find what you need here .. https://www.tselectronic.com/vend_pr...t/xantech.html

Be sure to get an LCD model or plasma model if you have LCD / Plasma TV

Some of the newer "D" HD sat boxes and Uverse boxes require the plasma unit regardless of the type of panel you have due to their frequency
post #5 of 6 Old 05-21-2009, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimblor View Post

I have used the Next Generation Remote Extender and it works well. It has a port that you can hook emitter(s) up to that would work. It works out of line of sight from your remote. It has been very reliable for me and is pretty cheap.

I'll second that. Been using mine for almost 5 years to control my DVR's from any room in the house.

Available from Amazon HERE.

Since you want to control more than 1 device, you might also want to get THIS.

It'll work with any remote that takes standard batteries (i.e. won't work with Harmony 880's since it has its own rechargeable battery).

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #6 of 6 Old 05-21-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimblor View Post

Yeah Next Generation Remote Extender looks nice! [IMG]http://www.*****************/trafficreport/img/3721/k08t1221bbuq/gdsmile.gif[/IMG]
Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page