Surge Protector recommendations - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #781 of 787 Old 06-25-2015, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Doogie View Post
You are confusing the older technology and cheap, poorly made surge strips ($10) to series mode devices ($250 ++) - which is not a realistic comparison.

Parallel mode devices installed at the main service entrance of your residence can protect the whole house for a few hundred dollars versus protecting one or two items (series mode device) for a few hundred dollars. Yea, they are probably nice devices, but they are horribly expensive for what they do.

I haven't read up on it in a while, but MOVs were still sacrificial the last time I checked. They only take X amount of power before they die. Is that still accurate?

A friend of mine has the whole house surge device that the power company installs right at the meter and had all APC surge and UPS devices on everything in the house. There was no lightning in the area, but some surge hit and completely destroyed the power company's device and all of the surge strips/UPS devices and everything attached to them. It was like pulling teeth to try to get that stuff payed for. Needless to say, he took a major hit after it was all said and done.

Yes, series mode devices are quite a bit more money, but you get what you pay for. I live in FL, so lightning is a daily occurrence most of the year. I have a series mode device that has survived multiple surges that have destroyed APC, TrippLite & Cyberpower surge strips and UPSs. Some of them protected the devices that were plugged into them, but most of the devices they were "protecting" suffered some type of damage or complete failure. So yes, the MOV devices "lessened" the damage, but by the time I factor in my time and hassle, the money and time spent repairing the damage to the devices (at least the ones that survived) and the money spent on replacing said surge strips and UPS devices, it's a no brainer for me. Besides, with surge strips and UPS devices, you have no idea how much life is left in the MOVs, so you don't know when to replace them. You may think you are covered, and not realize that there is no protection until it's too late. The whole house models usually have a light on them that is "supposed" to tell you if you are still protected or not, but I don't think they are very accurate. Unless they tell you to replace it as soon as it gets any kind of decent surge, they don't have a way to know how much surge capacity is really left in the MOVs.

I didn't buy into the need for protection, until I got hit with a surge many years ago and took a beating from the insurance company to try and replace my stuff. At that point I went on the search for something better. Nothing will survive a direct lightning hit, but as far as I know, the series mode devices will take the largest surge and continue to function, instead of dying. Mine has proven to do so on multiple occasions.

It's not really feasible to purchase series mode protection for the whole house, unless that amount is no big deal to you. I chose to put series mode protection on my system and PC setup, the most expensive and fragile things in the house.

A whole house device as you mentioned in combination with these provides pretty good protection.

If you have any new information, please share it. I'm always interested in protecting my "toys". If there is something better, I would like to know about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 787 Old 06-25-2015, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
I haven't read up on it in a while, but MOVs were still sacrificial the last time I checked. They only take X amount of power before they die. Is that still accurate? MOV operation has not changed, just the way that UL tests and requires a 'rated' SPD device to handle large amounts of energy safely. I would not call MOV's sacrificial in the way that you probably describe. MOV's will take a certain amount of energy before they fail (thermally) but if you buy a well made unit which is sized correctly, they will protect downstream equipment for a long time.

A friend of mine has the whole house surge device that the power company installs right at the meter and had all APC surge and UPS devices on everything in the house. There was no lightning in the area, but some surge hit and completely destroyed the power company's device and all of the surge strips/UPS devices and everything attached to them. It was like pulling teeth to try to get that stuff payed for. Needless to say, he took a major hit after it was all said and done. To be fair, the power company probably installed a cheap meter-based unit. I have seen some forms of these units and they are nothing more than a few MOV's lined up on a board from L-L, L-N and L-G. Once the surge event caused the main device to fail, the cheap surge strips failed too. Higher quality strip type units designed to handle the standard test waveforms via UL should provide decent protection and not fail as you describe as long as they are used in combination with a unit at the main service.

Yes, series mode devices are quite a bit more money, but you get what you pay for. I live in FL, so lightning is a daily occurrence most of the year. I have a series mode device that has survived multiple surges that have destroyed APC, TrippLite & Cyberpower surge strips and UPSs. Some of them protected the devices that were plugged into them, but most of the devices they were "protecting" suffered some type of damage or complete failure. So yes, the MOV devices "lessened" the damage, but by the time I factor in my time and hassle, the money and time spent repairing the damage to the devices (at least the ones that survived) and the money spent on replacing said surge strips and UPS devices, it's a no brainer for me. Besides, with surge strips and UPS devices, you have no idea how much life is left in the MOVs, so you don't know when to replace them. You may think you are covered, and not realize that there is no protection until it's too late. The whole house models usually have a light on them that is "supposed" to tell you if you are still protected or not, but I don't think they are very accurate. Unless they tell you to replace it as soon as it gets any kind of decent surge, they don't have a way to know how much surge capacity is really left in the MOVs. Let me be clear, I have no problems with series mode devices other than they provide protection for only a few devices and for a high cost. You are trying to compare a series mode device to surge strips and UPS units, neither of which are made to withstand the service entrance overvoltage conditions you have indicated above. A high quality whole house device installed at the main panel will provide the majority of the protection and then the surge strips or UPS units can handle any let-through from that main service entrance device. Look at some of the better whole house units on the market for example: http://www.ggtechcorp.com/PDF/XT-40.pdf

I didn't buy into the need for protection, until I got hit with a surge many years ago and took a beating from the insurance company to try and replace my stuff. At that point I went on the search for something better. Nothing will survive a direct lightning hit, but as far as I know, the series mode devices will take the largest surge and continue to function, instead of dying. Mine has proven to do so on multiple occasions. You are absolutely correct that a direct lightning strike will not be survived. Most damage is not caused by direct strikes but rather overvoltage conditions due to nearby strikes, and switching transients from within your own home or from the utility. When you plug in your series mode protection, you are generally at an outlet some distance from the main service panel. The voltage let-through at that remote outlet point is going to be significantly less than the magnitude at the main service entrance panel- the series mode device and even the surge strip see this much smaller let-through voltage and will shunt or filter the energy to ground. The el-cheapo surge strip may or may not survive depending upon its design, whereas your series mode device (of higher quality and cost) simply filters and releases the energy it encounters. The UPS unit, which was never meant to be a suppression device, generally contains a couple of MOV devices to protect it for the warranty period, generally no more or no less.

I also refer you to a guide which can be helpful in researching suppression equipment: http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/publ...a01005003e.pdf

It's not really feasible to purchase series mode protection for the whole house, unless that amount is no big deal to you. I chose to put series mode protection on my system and PC setup, the most expensive and fragile things in the house. Series mode units would be way too expensive to protect an entire residence, that is why a layered approach to protect the whole house. You also need to remember to protect the other paths into the residence such as cable, satellite, telephone (copper).

A whole house device as you mentioned in combination with these provides pretty good protection. The best way to protect everything in the house is to install two levels of protection. The first level of protection needs to be a high quality device at the main service. A second level should be your series mode or high quality surge strips.

If you have any new information, please share it. I'm always interested in protecting my "toys". If there is something better, I would like to know about it.
Good luck with the lightning in Florida

My Home Theater Site:

DJ-Theater
post #783 of 787 Old 06-25-2015, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Doogie View Post
Good luck with the lightning in Florida

Cool. Thanks for the info. I'll do some reading later this evening.
post #784 of 787 Old 06-25-2015, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 18
the key to any surge protection is double lightning strikes.

good luck

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc800v, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Velodyne HGS 12, VA 1512
post #785 of 787 Old 06-25-2015, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Yes, series mode devices are quite a bit more money, but you get what you pay for. I live in FL, so lightning is a daily occurrence most of the year. I have a series mode device that has survived multiple surges that have destroyed APC, TrippLite & Cyberpower surge strips and UPSs.
Which series mode device do you have? I am interested in looking into one.

Thanks!

"Some folks hate the whites who hate the blacks
who hate the Klan
Most of us hate anything that
we don't understand"

- Kris Kristofferson.
post #786 of 787 Old 06-26-2015, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpedris View Post
Which series mode device do you have? I am interested in looking into one.

Thanks!

I have Brickwall, but ZeroSurge and SurgeX are also series mode devices. The ZeroSurge products appear to have the best pricing at the moment.

ZeroSurge

Brickwall

SurgeX
post #787 of 787 Old 06-26-2015, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I have Brickwall, but ZeroSurge and SurgeX are also series mode devices. The ZeroSurge products appear to have the best pricing at the moment.

ZeroSurge

Brickwall

SurgeX
Thanks a lot for the info and the links.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself