Flip Down Ceiling Mount ceiling for 40-50" TV- anyone try to DIY? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 09-16-2009, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone even attempted to build their own flip down TV mount? I need one for the bedroom. After arguing with the wife about moving furniture around it just wasn't working out.

I need to build some sort of flip down mount but I can build a tray ceiling or some sort of window soffit looking thing and put the tv inside it.
This is what I had in mind:

Unfortunately, I don't think I can afford it. It's damn expensive. According to the website which I am hoping had a typo it said $9000 bucks. (flatlift website) I saw them on ebay for about $2500. I feel like I can build this thing much cheaper but was wondering if anyone tried it. I saw a thread on a drop down type of deal from the attic but i am actually looking for something that flips down. Worse case scenario I just build something thats like a hinged attic door but no ladder and i don't motorize it.

I have some time before I do this but I don't think these things are just going to dramatically lower in price.

I just need to find some kind of actuator that goes from 90 degrees to 180 degrees but can hold the weight when in the 90 degree position. And it has to be IR! Hmmm.. gonna be tough I think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 09-18-2009, 09:52 PM

try here
http://www.firgelliauto.com/default.php
post #3 of 25 Old 09-25-2009, 08:51 PM

Bonjovi -
IO saw your post on the hinged ceiling mount.

Have you found a solution? I'm in the market too.

My quick and dirty approach is a hinged 3/4" plywood, with a track or shelf to support the flat screen when vertical - , but I hope there is a solution a little more glamorous than that.

What have you learned?
Thanks
Dave
post #4 of 25 Old 09-28-2009, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

I am actually looking at different kinds of hinges to see if there is a solution built into a hinge. The type of hinge we choose can probably make this a lot easier.

Otherwise i did some simple sketches that involve a track installed horizontally above the space that push and pull a tab so that you don't see anything except for the TV when it comes down.

The other option is an actuator mounted 45 degrees that pulls and pushes the plywood, but then you see it when its in the down position. The site given by sv650s has some great stuff.

If you want to go non motorized you can pretty much use the spring system used in pull down stairs usually used for attics. I'm trying to figure out a way to do that where it would look a little nicer aesthetically. I don't want to see large bulky hinges or springs on the side.

I have a newborn coming sometime in the next two weeks so I am not allowed to start any new projects. I'll probably be in research mode for the next few months but will post any results I have if I get to it.
post #5 of 25 Old 10-29-2009, 12:15 PM

I am thinking of a similar DIY. I am thinking of mounting a 40"LCD on the bedroom ceiling, and I am wondering if that size screen will look right in that position (Facing down), or will it survive the test even. Anybody ever try it?
post #6 of 25 Old 10-29-2009, 12:21 PM

On the vertical hide away, some type of motorized liniar translator, the kind with a worm drive on each side (like a garage door opener). Opps free patent time.
post #7 of 25 Old 11-12-2009, 07:28 PM

I'm also very interested in this topic. I've done some thinking and researching, but the best I've found is this:
http://liftmytv.com/FLP-310_flip-down_tv_lift.html

Which is awesome, but way more than I want to spend. All I really want is the motor they use to actuate this thing. Anyone have one and willing to give out the part number / specs? I just want to hard wire it to a wall switch and connect some sort of common mount to it.
post #8 of 25 Old 02-08-2012, 07:00 AM

Hi,

Did anyone ever figure this out? I am also interested in doing this in my bedroom.

Thanks,
Rich
post #9 of 25 Old 02-08-2012, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
No traffic maybe too tough, too expensive, maybe not too good for neck either.

I'd prefer straight up/down rather than flip (looks cheesy).

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #10 of 25 Old 02-08-2012, 06:06 PM

My issue is that the only place I can put the TV would be in front a sliding glass door going to a deck. I would rather a nice large wall but I wouldnt mind something that flips up. I may give that liftmytv.com website a chance?
post #11 of 25 Old 02-08-2012, 11:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi View Post

I am actually looking at different kinds of hinges to see if there is a solution built into a hinge. The type of hinge we choose can probably make this a lot easier.

Otherwise i did some simple sketches that involve a track installed horizontally above the space that push and pull a tab so that you don't see anything except for the TV when it comes down.

The other option is an actuator mounted 45 degrees that pulls and pushes the plywood, but then you see it when its in the down position. The site given by sv650s has some great stuff.

If you want to go non motorized you can pretty much use the spring system used in pull down stairs usually used for attics. I'm trying to figure out a way to do that where it would look a little nicer aesthetically. I don't want to see large bulky hinges or springs on the side.

I have a newborn coming sometime in the next two weeks so I am not allowed to start any new projects. I'll probably be in research mode for the next few months but will post any results I have if I get to it.

Yeah, I'm reminded of hideaway stairs going into the attic. The linear Actuator from the link above, with the center of gravity all above the ceiling so all that comes down is the screen would work. No exposed support. I'd recomment a metal frame behind the drop down ceiling part to avoid it warping on you. I'd guess 225 bucks for the actuator, 100 bucks each for the frame and an electrician, another 50 bucks for a remote control for the actuator and at most another 100 bucks for plywood, 2x4 s, nuts, bolts and springs. Use barbells for the counter weights.
post #12 of 25 Old 02-23-2012, 11:25 AM

Holy crap! This is amazing! I feel like once you've figured out the right kind of hinges to use for this, please please please patent this for DIY projects. This is perfect for every married couple-the guy who wants to watch tv in bed vs the wife who doesn't want it messing up her interior decorating vision. Keep me posted!
post #13 of 25 Old 03-24-2012, 07:51 PM

Liked: 147
It looks like no one has figured it out. Was hoping my bump would cause a surge in renewed interest!
post #14 of 25 Old 04-05-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by inyouratmosphere View Post

Holy crap! This is amazing! I feel like once you've figured out the right kind of hinges to use for this, please please please patent this for DIY projects. This is perfect for every married couple-the guy who wants to watch tv in bed vs the wife who doesn't want it messing up her interior decorating vision. Keep me posted!

"Patent this for DIY" is like saying print money and then give it away. They're rather exclusive of each other.

The reason most of this gear is expensive is the risks are significant. The TVs are expensive. The risk of injuring someone if it falls would be expensive to litigate. Thus the amount of engineering that goes into it, and the cost of materials, drives up the costs. There's really no getting around that. Recessed or built-down can be done in ways that don't otherwise wreck a decor. Anything's possible, but it will cost something.

Then there's the frequency of use issue. When you're watching the TV a lot it's a bit pointless to go through a lot of effort/expense to hide it. More often than not it'll just get left in the displayed position. So work that into the decor instead.
post #15 of 25 Old 06-11-2012, 02:07 PM

Want to mount a TV on my patio ceiling - Want to build it myself but need plans
Let me know if you get any!
post #16 of 25 Old 06-11-2012, 04:14 PM

Liked: 147
I gave up on the flip down and went with a ceiling track. You can see my design and build of it here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1415139/ceiling-mounted-track-kit-for-plasma-tv
post #17 of 25 Old 08-26-2013, 02:07 PM

Don't know if this is still alive but I have a cheaper idea. True the many thousand dollar one looks amazing and is everyone's dream, more realistically a simple hinged ceiling mount with cable and some pulleys would suffice. My wife and I have video games nights so instead of her brother lugging over their tv and what not, I'm going to go ahead and use our in storage LG 42.

Here's mount: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tilt-Swivel-Plasma-LCD-LED-TV-Ceiling-Mount-23-24-26-27-30-32-37-40-42-45-46-1GZ-/170894589085?pt=US_TV_Mounts_Brackets&hash=item27ca1c7c9d
post #18 of 25 Old 08-29-2013, 10:00 AM

Liked: 11
This shouldn't be too difficult but will involve a fair amount of work. You can use a Somfy LT60 high torque tubular motor along with a Somfy Multilink to remote control the solution using RF. You would mount the motor within a steel tube and would weld on (for strength) a frame to the tube to mount the TV. You can hide the frame by attaching 1/4" paintable MDF on both sides. The TV would bolt on to it like a regular mount. The two ends of the tube would be anchored in 2" x 4" in the ceiling and the rotation of the tube caused by the motor would produce the motion necessary to swing the TV open and closed.

The swing in and out motion of the TV would be controlled by the RF remote. The motor has electronic limit switches that would allow the TV to retract and extend just the right distance. As a safety measure I would have an actuator that locks the TV in place when its retracted.

I've attached a picture to give you an idea of my idea smile.gif

sCiEnt
post #19 of 25 Old 10-04-2013, 11:31 AM

Wow! Great Idea Scient! Did you complete the project. Can you post a photo.

I was thinking about doing the same thing.

post #20 of 25 Old 10-07-2013, 07:00 AM

Liked: 11
I haven't built it. I was merely providing an idea for a build. I don't have the need for a flip down mount...yet smile.gif

sCiEnt
post #21 of 25 Old 10-10-2013, 03:37 PM

Hello. I'm brand spanking new to this forum and joined due to this thread. Just recently I decided to put a TV on my patio, but wanted to protect/hide it when not in use, which led me to this thread. I have a balcony, so need to do a flush mount to ceiling. I'm surprised at the cost for a factory unit and more surprised that there is very little DIY projects of this nature out there. (At least from my limited searching)

I've been a motorhead for years, built or modified many cars and have done construction work in my youth, associated myself with a couple of Corvette forums, but never with an AVS forum until now. That being said, I've messed with electonics my whole life too, do most all of my own AVS needs in my home and vehicles, so have the ability and tools to build a lot of things. (And mess things up) I plan to build one of these units and now think I can accomplish at or under $500.00.

I'm assuming the gentleman who first started this thread is no longer interested in doing something of this nature, but glad to see others have kept the thread alive.

Thanks to sCiEnt, I set off on looking at tubular motors, which led me to other threads and eventually to Progressive Automations. I plan to use a linear track actuator motor and found a site that has units which handle 150 lb and 1300lb pulls. They are listed for $150.00 less remote actuation. With the linear track motor, I'll use pulleys and wire cable from garage door parts for the lifing part. My main concern now is the space needed and the type of frame I will build to withstand the stress of pulley mounts and track motor mounts. I don't want to fabricate it out of sheet metal, rather use aluminum pieces and wood. I don't have a DC Tig welder to weld aluminum, so would have to rivet pieces together, which can fatique with time in stress areas. Therefore, the default might have to be 1/8" flat steel plate, which I can weld, bend and fabricate. We'll see.

Here's a picture of the one I will use as my base design.

Here's a url to the motor I plan to use and pricing, but not sure if they sell to individuals or not, just yet.

http://www.progressiveautomations.com/actuators-track-linear-actuator-c-106.aspx

I am still in the planning stages for the bracket material to use, load calculations, pulley positioning and cable range, but will post my progress and it moves along. This is not the highest priority on my list of home improvements, but I find projects like this fun and challenging.

post #22 of 25 Old 12-05-2013, 06:02 AM

Hola desde España
mi idea es . eléctrico del motor de la persiana estafa Integrada remoto de € 85 a continuacion.

post #23 of 25 Old 12-05-2013, 06:13 AM

mas fotos

post #24 of 25 Old 12-26-2013, 03:54 PM

Firgelli Automations have made flip down tv lifts using their actuators www.FirgelliAuto.com  watch this video to see how

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar2lRzeH_qA

post #25 of 25 Old 12-30-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickson12 View Post

Firgelli Automations have made flip down tv lifts using their actuators www.FirgelliAuto.com  watch this video to see how

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar2lRzeH_qA

Good stuff. After my first post above, I designed another unit, which I like better.

I'm going a similar route as the one you linked, with a little different aspect. I've built my mount from 14 ga.square tubing and 3/16" flat steel, much like the one offered from:

http://www.peopleoflava.com check out their MOUNTS - MMotion flip down TV mount. ($700.00 or so)

I'm using a Firgelli FA-1000-L-12-6" actuator. A little overkill, but I'm going to use a 60" TV with the idea of going up to 70" and don't want to use any extra assistance to pull it up. This actuator is capable of 800 lb. pull.

I've finished cutting/welding the mount and am awaiting the actuator before I can weld the final tangs to bolt it to the mount, then weld on an angled TV mount and finally the TV. Mine will have to hang down from the patio ceiling, due to the location.

UPDATE Jan. 20, 2014: I completed the mount, weight 50 pounds, re-inforced and installed under ceiling, bought Samsung 60" TV, AppleTV, Wireless HDMI and signal splitter for cable provider box, hooked up and watched the playoffs from the patio this weekend. Nice project and thanks to a few for the vendor paths to follow in order to design/build it.

Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page