RCA-3 RGB component switch - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-29-2009, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For a cheap switch, for 2 inputs and 1 output for RCA 3 RGB component cables, could I just use a Radio Shack switch with 2 yellow red white inputs and 1 yellow red white output? Will it hurt anything or is it just a passthrough? I know I should probably buy a true RGB switch, but will the cheaper yellow red white switch work to plug my RGB cables into?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-30-2009, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12

If by “will it work” you mean “will it pass a signal,” the answer is yes. If you mean “will it degrade the picture,” you’ll just have to try and see.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

post #3 of 4 Old 10-31-2009, 01:58 PM

Liked: 14
Yes it will work, though probably not with the best bandwidth.

I'm not familiar with the radio shack switches particularly, but i suspect they're pretty cheap and the video portion probably isn't super high bandwidth which may be a concern. The audio side may or may not be just the same thing, hard to say. If this is a critical application, I'd recommend a switch whose performance you can ascertain and is appropriate, if it's not hugely important to you though it will probably be just fine.

I suggest you do put the Y' signal on the video part of the switch, and the chroma (PbPr) signals on the two audio connections, just in case the audio circuit is different and inferior. Likely they're all the same though, and probably not really 75ohm or high bandwidth anyway, but again you may not really see a difference.
post #4 of 4 Old 11-02-2009, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
They work just fine for short runs (under 6ft). I use an A-B switch from them switching between the 2 satellite boxes. Though, it's a pain in the butt since it doesn't let you switch audio as well. I have 2 of them because of that. But, in a pinch, they work.
Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page