RCA connectors question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-15-2010, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi!

I'm planning on using RCA connectors for a basic electronic DIY project, however since the connector is more for the AV world I thought I'd better ask here...

My plan is to substitute my computer's fan's connectors with RCA's. I just need two cables per fan so I thought it would be perfect.

My question is this: on a male RCA connector I know there's insulation between the prong and the ring, however many connectors have a metal casing and I don't see any insulation between the ring and such casing. I intend to use 12V on the prong and GROUND on the ring, but I don't know if it would be risky to touch the casing since it would be in fact touching the ring?

Thanks a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-16-2010, 02:11 AM

Liked: 14
If you're talking relatively normal 12v with low current it wouldn't be like dangerous unless you had a pacemaker or something. Not necessarily pleasant if it was a capable 12v power supply with some amps behind it, but not a big deal. Not sure you'd want to do that though because you could zap components in your computer with 12v and fry everything in there. Doesn't sound like a smart plan. Why not use another type of connector? Doesn't make sense to me.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-16-2010, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Hi!

The fans already use 12V, but not much current (.25A tops maybe). What I intend to use is simply have a single location to connect all the fans instead of connecting them in the scattered locations of the motherboard. I'm thinking about RCA for aesthetics mainly, although I know XLR should be safer since the pins are inside and isolated from the outside.

But although RCAs have much more variety, fact is I don't like the casing to be metallic/conductive. I just have plastic RCAs so I didn't know for sure if there was some insulation between the ring and the casing so that's why I asked, but it seems there is none... so I guess I'll have to chose a plastic RCA connector or go safe with mini XLR . Only thing preventing me to choose mini XLR is that all the connectors I could get on ebay, are basically the same and kind of ugly :/
post #4 of 9 Old 01-16-2010, 03:06 PM

Liked: 14
I don't understand what's wrong with the regular plastic fan connectors? Just use those.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-16-2010, 03:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles View Post

I don't understand what's wrong with the regular plastic fan connectors? Just use those.

Agreed. Also, not using RCAs would preclude plugging in something inappropriate.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #6 of 9 Old 01-16-2010, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Haha no no, nothing wrong with them... the objective of this mod is aesthetics, both clean cable routing and the looks of anything I put in there... if there was no other option besides the standard fan connectors I would accept it, but since there are tons of different types of connectors I'm researching what can work and still look good

The prettier connectors I've seen are RCA so that's why ideally I'd choose them... but since they also have to be functional I can't make up my mind yet
post #7 of 9 Old 01-16-2010, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmmm! I think I'm gonna use some of those DC power plugs, they're kind of thin, and I bet I could fit them in a nice RCA housing by screwing them in the existing thread, since they're plastic !
post #8 of 9 Old 01-16-2010, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
If you put RCA males on the fans, what are you building to house the females?

BTW The entire outer metal section of the RCA IS connected so everything metal including any metal cap/cover will be at ground potential.

I agree with the other guys that RCAs for DC inside a computer is NOT a good idea.

I would suggest Molex (similar to the main PSU connector but much smaller) These are totally encapsulated in nylon and are therefore safer around exposed metal contacts and components that an RCA would be.

Molex connectors are available at most any electronic parts house and Rad Shack.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-16-2010, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Hi!

Yeah the outer metal housing was my main concern . But now I solved it, I'll just buy RCAs plug that I like and ONLY use the housing, then inside I'll just fit a DC power plug INCLUDING its plastic shielding, I have some here and they're almost the same size as the inner diameter a RCA housing would have , a little filing and it'll fit tightly!
Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page