20ish foot speaker wire runs - 12 or 14 AWG? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-12-2010, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
looking at running some wire through conduit in my future theatre... anywhere from 10 - 25 ft speaker wire run

Equipment

Yamaha RX-V2600
Polk RTi10 fronts
Polk CSi3 Center
Polk RTi6 surrounds and rears

should i go with 12 or 14 AWG?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-13-2010, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Electrically either one would work.

Sound wise there are more variables than wire gauge. If that's a concern since you already have equipment selected the simplest thing to do is try the cables you're considering. Much easier to swap cables when they're laying on the floor than in the wall.

You could also bounce this off your dealer. If he's more than a box mover he may already know what works together. This shouldn't start out with the most expensive cable he sells.

Before making any decisions find out what you're local building codes require for conduit cable runs. This may reduce the possibilities for you.

If you're putting in conduit I'd suggest making it larger than needed. It's almost a given that someday you'll want to run a cable for something we've never heard of today. Also consider what equipment you may want to add.

Les
post #3 of 3 Old 03-13-2010, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Some cables cannot be used in EMT conduit and most building codes specify CL-2 or 3 rated cables for inwall use.

If you opt for conduit, I HIGHLY recommend NOT running any other signal in the same conduit with speaker lines. That is a headache for crosstalk and other audio nasties waiting to happen.

The same holds true for digital clocked cabling such as alarm lines and HA cabling.

For the vast majority of home stereo systems, 14 awg is quite sufficient and defintely NOT monster or other similar hyperbole laden cabling. Standard off the shelf in-wall rated cable will work just fine.

Actually the independent labs over many years have stated that Romex is just fine for speaker line.
Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page