Tight fit for HDMI, short speaker cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-21-2010, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am finally putting together my home theater. I ran into 2 issues and need some good advice.. I have the receiver in enclosed shelf (front glass/back is thin piece of plywood with hole for cables. I noticed that my HDMI cables are very stiff at the connector points, and really squeeze into the receiver. If I buy a L shaped adapter so the cable will come from top to the receiver, will this digrate my hdmi picture? Second... I am running 30 feet of speaker cable (14 gauge) and ran out of some. If I attach more cable on the ends and shrink wrap the tube for cables for a good fit, will this have any affect on the performance of sound going through the cable? Many thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-22-2010, 08:09 AM

Liked: 11
As long as your HDMI cable runs aren't super long (and the definition of that will vary depending on the type of cable, quality of its construction, the source and destination equipment, etc etc) then an L adapter should not noticeably degrade the signal.

The speaker wire should be fine as long as the splice is properly-made (meaning the wires are not loose and could pull apart at any minute). Best option is to solder it. You could also use butt splices.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-22-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlubocki View Post

I am finally putting together my home theater. I ran into 2 issues and need some good advice.. I have the receiver in enclosed shelf (front glass/back is thin piece of plywood with hole for cables. I noticed that my HDMI cables are very stiff at the connector points, and really squeeze into the receiver. If I buy a L shaped adapter so the cable will come from top to the receiver, will this digrate my hdmi picture? Second... I am running 30 feet of speaker cable (14 gauge) and ran out of some. If I attach more cable on the ends and shrink wrap the tube for cables for a good fit, will this have any affect on the performance of sound going through the cable? Many thanks!!

HDMI is digital, no loss. As far as the speakers, make sure to use the same gauge wire. Wire nuts, butt-splice, solder, won't make a difference.

Paul
4 7 ' ' L C D t v N o T A pRo s c a n
metsys dnuos latigid 0055-z hcetigoL
post #4 of 7 Old 05-24-2010, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Gentlemen, Thank you for expert advise. My cables are 14 gauge, am waiting on rest of the cables, time to solder...
post #5 of 7 Old 05-30-2010, 12:11 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1g Bleu View Post

... As far as the speakers, make sure to use the same gauge wire. ...

There is no particular reason to use the same gauge wire.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-30-2010, 12:14 PM

Liked: 14
Also, there are short HDMI whips/pigtails which are great for situations like this where you have a very large inflexible HDMI cable:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

You can find similar products from comparable vendors as well, such as blue jeans cable, etc.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-30-2010, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 224
I had the same problem and was also worried about cooling. Plus, as I am tweaking my system, I got tired of dealing with the small'ish holes in back, having to pull the AVR out the front to connect things, then fiddle with the wires to thread the AVR back in place. My solution was to saw open the back so the back of the AVR was essentially open. I was careful to leave plenty of material on the back around and above the AVR (mine is on the bottom) so structural integrity was not significantly compromised (the back is essential to stability on a lot of entertainment units). I can easily see/reach all the connections in back, the AVR runs cooler, and the stand seems as stable as ever.

FWIWFM - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page