How to connect and use PC fan with AC Adapter? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-20-2010, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need to cool the top right corner of my receiver. Can I do it properly with the adapter and fan pictured using the 3 steps below?

1. Take the red wire from the fan, strip it a little, and stick it in the hole of the adapter plug.
2. Tape the black wire to the outside of the plug with electrical tape.
3. Choose 12v on the voltage selector, plug in, and tape the fan to right side of receiver.

If I put the fan on top like I usually see it done, there would be no clearance on top. By putting it on the right, there would be 3 inches of clearance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2010, 08:00 AM

It would be safer and easier to cut & strip the wires on both the fan and power supply and use appropriate wire nuts for stranded cable to make the connections. Then use a small bit of electrical tape to secure the wire nuts.

This of course requires you to cut the tip off of the power supply. If you give yourself some extra wire coming off the tip when you cut, you could always re-attach later if you needed to. I WOULD NOT recommend taping directly to the tip, it is very insecure and you could accidentally apply voltage/current to your receiver case or some other electronic device, or yourself/others.

Fan wires... red =12v, black=ground, yellow=sensor/speed control

leave the yellow unconnected and the fan should run at full speed.

As far as the wiring color code in the power supply, it's probably something similar, use common sense.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ndoggac. Was hoping I could do it the easy way.

I went out and bought wire nuts, cut the adapter tip off, and stripped the insulation. Now i'm totally lost. Can anyone help?

If the adapter wires have a positive and negative, I can't find out because my multimeter ran out of battery.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Well, you’re going to have to replace the battery in your meter. We certainly can’t tell the polarity of the power supply’s wires by looking at a picture.

P.S. your receiver would cool better if you took that piece of paper off the top of it...

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Old 09-21-2010, 07:21 AM

Nice catch! I didn't even notice the piece of paper before. Yeah, that definitely needs to go!
Old 09-21-2010, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by etdawp View Post

Thanks ndoggac. Was hoping I could do it the easy way.

I went out and bought wire nuts, cut the adapter tip off, and stripped the insulation. Now i'm totally lost. Can anyone help?

If the adapter wires have a positive and negative, I can't find out because my multimeter ran out of battery.

Ignore the yellow wire. – You don't need it.

Just connect one adapter wire to the fan’s red wire and the other adapter wire to the fan’s black wire. Nothing bad will happen. – If the fan doesn’t spin, or spins backward, undo the connections and reverse them.

A slightly better way: Take the adapter and fan to Radio Shack, Fry’s, or such and get a molex plug that fits the fan’s plug. (Some fan packages/kits include such a plug.) Attach it to the adapters wires and plug them together. This will allow you to easily separate them if/when necessary.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:57 PM

I am also interested in this subject. I need to cool down Ã* closet with some hifi + audioserver equipment in.
My receiver has Ã* 12V-out trigger so i was wondering if i could attach Ã* 12V fan to it directly. So if receivers kicks in THE fan automaticaly follows.
Or does Ã* 12v trigger just give one puls to command THE receiving equipment to power on and another impluse to let it shut down?

Do you know any great brands of fans where you can adjust the speed?

Hope you can help.
Thx
Old 09-23-2010, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by exmo4all View Post

I am also interested in this subject. I need to cool down Ã* closet with some hifi + audioserver equipment in.
My receiver has Ã* 12V-out trigger so i was wondering if i could attach Ã* 12V fan to it directly. So if receivers kicks in THE fan automaticaly follows.
Or does Ã* 12v trigger just give one puls to command THE receiving equipment to power on and another impluse to let it shut down?

Do you know any great brands of fans where you can adjust the speed?

Hope you can help.
Thx

Down just a little bit in this group is a thread of how to use the trigger out to run fans via a relay. I hust rec'd the relay from Radio Shack today.

Then, there's a few Fan controllers meant for either 3.5 or 5.24 computer bays. These can control up to 4 separate fan circuits. cost about 20 bucks. Newegg, Amazon, etc have these.

Add 120MM fans to this and a 2 amp power supply and you're set, or you can run the fans off a switch.

If you have a big system with alot of heat you might want to use a dryer vent to get the heat out of your room. You can find powered 5-6 inch vents to do this, or run it to the bathroom vent where it passes through your attic.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandbeth View Post

Then, there's a few Fan controllers meant for either 3.5 or 5.24 computer bays. These can control up to 4 separate fan circuits. cost about 20 bucks. Newegg, Amazon, etc have these.

Add 120MM fans to this and a 2 amp power supply and you're set, or you can run the fans off a switch.

This is exactly how I do it.

This power supply: http://www.coolerguys.com/840556029977.html

And any fan controller you choose.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:44 PM

Strange. I was going to post a question about this very subject to cool my amps. Thanks for the photos and responses above.

I was planning to use a similar DIY fan setup with wall wart. I'm looking for the quietest ball bearing fan out there. What is a respectable dB level for these fans?

Also, if I get a wall wart with variable voltage (kinda like the one pictured), will that allow me to control the speed of the fan? I would like to slow the fan speed down to get even less noise.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwyun View Post

Strange. I was going to post a question about this very subject to cool my amps. Thanks for the photos and responses above.

I was planning to use a similar DIY fan setup with wall wart. I'm looking for the quietest ball bearing fan out there. What is a respectable dB level for these fans?

Also, if I get a wall wart with variable voltage (kinda like the one pictured), will that allow me to control the speed of the fan? I would like to slow the fan speed down to get even less noise.

I have 3 120MM fans (Vantec) in the case and barely hear them if I'm right on top of them. (box says 20dBA) There are lots of ways to vary the voltage (and therefore the speed) and a variable wall wart is one of them.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:53 AM

I'm running four 120mm fans rated at 20.4 dBin in my cabinet. I called coolerguys and they put together a four fan kit. I can hear the fans in a dead quiet room if I listen for them. I have them programed to turn on at 82*, shut off at 76*. Two fans blow and two suck, move 90+ cfm. With all equipment on, a/v receiver, blu-ray, sat box, panamax, and one 40watt incandescent light I run about a 25-30% duty cycle. Using 4 Pin Molex Adapters makes it very easy for hook up.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
If you look at the cable on a wallwart DC output, the wire usually has white hash marks on one conductor. This is the POSITIVE leg. If the wire has raised longitudinal ridges on one side, that is USUALLY but not always the POSITIVE side.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:47 AM

Most DC motors do not care which way the voltage comes at it. To find out the voltage just connect the DC adaptor to the motor 1 way and then watch the fan spin. if it spins backwards switch the polarity. Good luck.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Performance PC View Post

Most DC motors do not care which way the voltage comes at it. To find out the voltage just connect the DC adaptor to the motor 1 way and then watch the fan spin. if it spins backwards switch the polarity. Good luck.

These fans don't use simple DC motors. The FETs in them determine the polarity. Reverse polarity and the fan doesn't spin.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Holly crap. The second picture points to the REAL PROBLEM. THERE IS ZERO VERTICAL CLEARANCE to vent! I suppose the OP can place a blow-in fan on right and a blow-out fan on the left (assuming there are vents on the left), but most equipment are designed to be vented on top.

Do you ppl REALLY want to introduce more noise to an AV environment?
Old 02-03-2011, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by etdawp View Post

Agreed. Need more clearance.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone