AVS Forum banner

RG-179 to replace thicker RG-59?

16K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  egnlsn 
#1 ·
Well, I need to connect another room to my cable splitter, unfortunately I can't use RG-6 or RG-59 cable (there's no enough space), so I'm thinking to use RG-179 (75 ohm) cable with F-connectors.

Is that a good idea? Thanks for reading.

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles /forum/post/19335337

You didn't bother to tell us any pertinent information such as how far this might be. Or why you can't use RG6 or RG59.

But if it's very far at all, no it's not a good idea.

Also, F-connectors for mini coax are not common. I can't even remember having seen any...

It's not big deal, like 80 ft. In this moment I've purchased a RG-58 cable (50 ohm) and successfully tested without major signal loss, but it didn't fit at the wiring duct at the walls.

Is there any other better option?

#6 ·
I know that this is an old post but I figured that I'd update it for future reference...

If you absolutely have to, you can run RG-179 (mini RG-59) instead of RG-6. Your signal loss will be MUCH higher. For instance Belden 9116 RG-6 cable will loose 6.54dB at 1000MHz for every 100' of cable. Belden 1855A Mini RG-59 cable will loose 10.5dB at 1000MHz for every 100' of cable.

That almost 75% more loss. Also, the most common connector for RG179 is a BNC connector because it is most commonly used in broadcast. You can use BNCs then just adapt it to an F connector. I think that Ideal does make compression F connectors for mini RG-59. Check you local Graybar. They used to carry Ideal's entire line.

HTH,

BP

#9 ·
RG179 + Amplifier

I know that this is an old post but I figured that I'd update it for future reference...

If you absolutely have to, you can run RG-179 (mini RG-59) instead of RG-6. Your signal loss will be MUCH higher. For instance Belden 9116 RG-6 cable will loose 6.54dB at 1000MHz for every 100' of cable. Belden 1855A Mini RG-59 cable will loose 10.5dB at 1000MHz for every 100' of cable.

That almost 75% more loss. Also, the most common connector for RG179 is a BNC connector because it is most commonly used in broadcast. You can use BNCs then just adapt it to an F connector. I think that Ideal does make compression F connectors for mini RG-59. Check you local Graybar. They used to carry Ideal's entire line.

HTH,
BP
Hi folks,

I know this a old post, but I am running in the same problem.
I was thinking about RG179 + signal amplifier. The signal is DVB-S2 (digital), the noise would not be a big problem, right?

Many thanks,
Joselito Maciel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.