HDMI 1.4 or 1.3 cables - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 12-12-2010, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am getting a 3D Plasma (TC-P50VT25) and a 3D blu-ray player (BDPS470) The 1.4 format HDMI cable has extra band width for audio enhancements, so I do not see the need to buy the overly priced cables am I wrong is 1.4 needed for 3D picture quality over 1.3 HDMI cable?

Any advice is much appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-12-2010, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOR047 View Post
is 1.4 needed for 3D picture quality over 1.3 HDMI cable?
No.

Buy "high speed" HDMI cables from monoprice.com

Example: 6ft US$3.04

PS. HDMI.org have outlawed the use of "1.3", "1.4" etc. labelling on HDMI cables. If you find some so advertised, they are in violation of their license agreements with HDMI.org !!! These are now the only legal markings:

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

post #3 of 19 Old 12-12-2010, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 88
No such thing as a HDMI 1.4 cable, just standard and high-speed, with or without ethernet. For 3D get a high-speed cable. A standard cable may work as well for short lengths. But the premium for a high-speed cable is so small as to make buying a high-speed cable a no-brainer.
post #4 of 19 Old 12-12-2010, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post
No such thing as a HDMI 1.4 cable, just standard and high-speed, with or without ethernet. For 3D get a high-speed cable. A standard cable may work as well for short lengths. But the premium for a high-speed cable is so small as to make buying a high-speed cable a no-brainer.
This is true, "HDMI 1.4" is more a marketing gimmick and it's pretty disingenuous.

Monoprice has great prices, I prefer the higher quality of the Bluejeans/Belden bonded-pair design, they're a couple bucks more but they're made in the U.S.. Bluejeans is sort of like the Oppo of the cable world.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/
post #5 of 19 Old 12-12-2010, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppopioneer View Post
I prefer the higher quality of the Bluejeans/Belden bonded-pair design, they're a couple bucks more but they're made in the U.S.
As colm told you on another thread, only the actual Belden bonded-pair wire itself used in the BJC Series 1 and Series F2 is made in the USA. The cables are assembled in China.

I am not dumping on BJC cables - they are just fine and Kurt the owner is a great guy.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
" - MLK

post #6 of 19 Old 12-12-2010, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

+1 on the BJC Series 1 and Series F2. They are arguably two of the best HDMI cables available. No need ever to pay more than they cost IMHO. But if a cheaper cable works consistently without sparkles or worse, you won't see a difference by changing to a Series 1 or Series F2.
post #7 of 19 Old 12-13-2010, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu View Post

As colm told you on another thread, only the actual Belden bonded-pair wire itself used in the BJC Series 1 and Series F2 is made in the USA. The cables are assembled in China.

I am not dumping on BJC cables - they are just fine and Kurt the owner is a great guy.

I use the BJC Series F2 for my bd player to Kuro display.
post #8 of 19 Old 12-28-2010, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks,

Very help full.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-12-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post
I think there are many people in my boat...

I've searched a bit, but I can't seem to find if my "1.3" that I bought Jan 2010 is according to the new policy is "standard" or "high speed". I also have 2 older HDMI cables of unknown speed.

Do I need to replace these with "high speed" ones for use in my 3D player and 3DTV?

To add, I'm building my SX, the only thing on the media center is the tv and ps3, I just haven't tried a 3D BD disc to see if a cable upgrade is necessary, but as I have 3 cables, I'd rather just get an answer on the forums and buy new.
post #10 of 19 Old 01-12-2011, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oOo_Krav_oOo View Post

I think there are many people in my boat...

I've searched a bit, but I can't seem to find if my "1.3" that I bought Jan 2010 is according to the new policy is "standard" or "high speed". I also have 2 older HDMI cables of unknown speed.

Do I need to replace these with "high speed" ones for use in my 3D player and 3DTV?

To add, I'm building my SX, the only thing on the media center is the tv and ps3, I just haven't tried a 3D BD disc to see if a cable upgrade is necessary, but as I have 3 cables, I'd rather just get an answer on the forums and buy new.

In order to get 3D your electronics need to be HDMI 1.4 not the cable. The HDMI cables need to be rated "Category 2 High Speed Ethernet"

Bluejeans makes Category 2 High Speed HDMI cables made in the U.S.A.. Their BJC Belden Series-FE cable is what you need.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/...hdmi-cable.htm

When you get a chance, please read this, it's a good read, it explains which HDMI cables do what:

http://askville.amazon.com/PS3-Slim-...blurayforum-20
post #11 of 19 Old 01-12-2011, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oOo_Krav_oOo View Post

A standard cable may well work at short lengths. If you want to be sure before you play that first 3D movie, get high speed cables. They don't have to be expensive, just certified high speed. Monoprice and Blue Jeans Cable are good sources. You do not need the ones that support ethernet unless the connected gear on both ends support it. The odds are that your gear doesn't support the HDMI ethernet channel.
post #12 of 19 Old 01-12-2011, 12:47 PM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by oppopioneer View Post

In order to get 3D your electronics need to be HDMI 1.4 not the cable. The HDMI cables need to be rated "Category 2 High Speed Ethernet"

Answer removed by author
post #13 of 19 Old 01-13-2011, 02:04 PM

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articl...e.htm?hdmidept

Read this. Quite helpful. BJC is a super helpful company.
post #14 of 19 Old 01-18-2011, 08:42 AM

Hi,

I have also been a fan of BJC and have had good luck with their products. I did recently buy a quantity of monoprice cables and have had trouble. Their high speed cable came with a flex jacket. The cables were big and very inflexible. I attached one end to my HTPC with over a foot of clearance behind it. I had trouble getting any video from my HTPC a few days later. I checked my connections and found the monoprice cable's HDMI exposed HDMI connector had bent over 45 degrees at the HTPC. The cables performed find but in the end were not very usable. I just ordered the "skinny" HDMI model from BJC.
post #15 of 19 Old 01-18-2011, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXscreen View Post

I did recently buy a quantity of monoprice cables and have had trouble. Their high speed cable came with a flex jacket. The cables were big and very inflexible.

That was your choice - they sell many variations!!
Quote:

I attached one end to my HTPC with over a foot of clearance behind it. [...] I checked my connections and found the monoprice cable's HDMI exposed HDMI connector had bent over 45 degrees at the HTPC

When you are using the large gauge cables which are not very flexible, you should use the a "port saver" to prevent exactly the problem you describe. Here are a couple examples (which cost only a couple of bucks):

Click on the images above for details

Quote:

I just ordered the "skinny" HDMI model from BJC.

As you could with Monoprice.

Your "issue" isn't with Monoprice, it is with your selection of product!

" - MLK

post #16 of 19 Old 01-21-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu View Post

That was your choice - they sell many variations!!When you are using the large gauge cables which are not very flexible, you should use the a "port saver" to prevent exactly the problem you describe. Here are a couple examples (which cost only a couple of bucks):

Click on the images above for details

As you could with Monoprice.

Your "issue" isn't with Monoprice, it is with your selection of product!

I have to disagree with your comments. I had over a full foot of clearance and the cables were coming directly from the wall. Bending the angle 90 degrees would have created a worse problem as there would have been less room for the cable to make the turn. The terminal end was not very robust and did not allow any flexion. As I said before, the cables performed fine and were the standard high speed option at the time I ordered them. I received my BJC cable yesterday and couldn't be happier for the price.
post #17 of 19 Old 01-31-2011, 08:53 AM

Forgive me, as I am new to all this but what does the high speed ethernet hdmi cable do compared to the high speed hdmi cable? Does it allow you to connect to the internet or what does it do opposed to the high speed hdmi cable??
post #18 of 19 Old 01-31-2011, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decrypticshadow View Post
Forgive me, as I am new to all this but what does the high speed ethernet hdmi cable do compared to the high speed hdmi cable? Does it allow you to connect to the internet or what does it do opposed to the high speed hdmi cable??
Both are Category 2 High Speed rated. The HDMI Ethernet version will eventually replace the traditional ethernet wire you use to download services to your bd player.

When it comes to what role the modem will play with firmware updates I'm not sure.
post #19 of 19 Old 01-31-2011, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decrypticshadow View Post

The idea behind HDMI cables with ethernet is to cut down on the number of cables you need in your AV system. A ethernet cable connects to one AV device and the rest are daisy chained off it via the HDMI cable. To use this capability, all of the connected devices have to support HDMI over ethernet. It won't give new capabilities to your existing gear.

When HDMI with ethernet is actually going to be relevant is not clear. The specification has been out for over a year and a half, and there are few if any devices that support HDMI over ethernet.
Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page