Toslink Issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 01-23-2011, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, I finally managed to get around to re-organizing my living room the way I wanted to set it up.

Part of rearranging it meant moving my sub to a more optimal location. Due to the fact that it seems manufacturers hate Digital Coaxial connections, this means use of lots of toslink cables. I trusted my usual cable vendor for this, which is Blue Jeans Cable, and ordered up a pair of 15 foot toslink cables (might have been 16 feet, don't recall).

Now the problems have began.

What I'm experiencing is drop outs in sound, primarily in the LFE channel it seems. This occurs most frequently during heavy bass moments (I've been reproducing the issue using the part of Inception where they're sitting outside the cafe and random objects begin to explode).

At first I was worried that my sub was just dying, but fortunately it's not (although if this behavior continues, I'm worried all the sudden "pops" might kill it). Instead it seems as if the toslink connector, which is relatively loose inside the Blu-Ray player's (Panasonic DMP BD-60K) socket, it's actually shaking due to the bass, and consequently the signal isn't steady. This issue happens with both cables I bought, and wigging the connector in the socket instantly produces the issue regardless of the current sound output.

Now... I suppose I could ask BJC to send me a cable with a larger connector, but somehow I doubt they have Toslink connectors of varying sizes -> If they do, someone let me know ASAP please.

The other solution I came up with is simply buying a Toslink to Digital Coaxial converter for $10 and feeding a digital coax to the receiver in order to try to steady the connection. Of course, this would probably fail anyway due to the fact that the socket on the Blu-Ray player, and not the receiver, is the one that's loose.

Now... I have a backup Monster toslink cable that fits SNUGLY in the socket of the Blu-Ray player, so I know that there is obviously some variation in toslink connector size. In fact I should add that only one size of the toslink cable fits snugly. If I put the toslink connector on the opposite side of the cable into the socket, it wiggles all the same. Holding the connector to one side actually causes no sound to be produced at all.

I don't know what to do about this issue really...

I tried rigging something to hold the connector still, however, stronger vibrations still forced the drops to occur. Not to mention, it has to be held in a very specific manner to keep the drops from happening. Too far in one direction completely loses the sound, and too far in the opposite causes pops and crackles. Anybody got any ideas here?

Has anyone else had issues with loose toslink connections on the DMP-BD60K? I think it's still in warranty by a few days... I've thought about just getting it replaced, but if the connector sockets are all the same size... well.... still SOL =/ Not to mention it seems as if it's only under PARTS warranty and not labor warranty. Therefore, I'd still have to come out of pocket to get it fixed, which quite frankly I refuse to do...

Also, I'm wondering if perhaps since the cable has to be in one specific, perfect position to begin with... is the cable simply too long itself to carry the signal from the player? Even with the shorter cables I was getting the drops, but they seemed to be MUCH less frequent...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-28-2011, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Well I guess this is irrelevant now... the player is out of warranty as of today. Only options are upgrade it, fix it, or try to make an amp for the toslink...
post #3 of 17 Old 01-28-2011, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Toslink (optical?) should not have any practical length limitation. Optical goes a long way wo probs. U may have accumulate dust at the jacks, try some compressed air.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #4 of 17 Old 01-28-2011, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Propogation length for Toslink will vary depending on the material that the fibre is made out of, but in my experience you can push Toslink a long, long way without any issues. I have two long Toslink runs in my house, one of which is 50 feet and has couplers on each end for keystones and it has no issues.

I suspect your issue is with a loose fitting Toslink connector on your player, not necessarily the cables themselves; tolerances might not be quite right. If you are looking for an inexpensive solution I would just get a simple Toslink-to-coaxial-digital convertor from some place like Monoprice.com and also pick up some short "jumper" Toslinks to bridge from the player to the convertor. You can probably solve this problem for less than $15.

post #5 of 17 Old 01-31-2011, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

Toslink (optical?) should not have any practical length limitation. Optical goes a long way wo probs. U may have accumulate dust at the jacks, try some compressed air.

I did that prior to posting just to be sure. Didn't help anything.

Didn't think it would... I have optical jack covers for when they aren't in use.
post #6 of 17 Old 01-31-2011, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLeerUK View Post

Propogation length for Toslink will vary depending on the material that the fibre is made out of, but in my experience you can push Toslink a long, long way without any issues. I have two long Toslink runs in my house, one of which is 50 feet and has couplers on each end for keystones and it has no issues.

I suspect your issue is with a loose fitting Toslink connector on your player, not necessarily the cables themselves; tolerances might not be quite right. If you are looking for an inexpensive solution I would just get a simple Toslink-to-coaxial-digital convertor from some place like Monoprice.com and also pick up some short "jumper" Toslinks to bridge from the player to the convertor. You can probably solve this problem for less than $15.

That's what I thought of as well. I mentioned it in my first post.

However, a toslink-to-digital coax converter wont help if the connector on the player is the problem. Using the optical port at all pretty much makes the signal unstable unless there was a way of forcing the toslink cable to stay in the one position at which it functions properly (which of course if I could do that, I wouldn't even need the converter). Maybe an extremely short toslink cable of only a few inches would work... but I'm not sure. I could try asking BJC to make me one I suppose. Even though using one of the shorter cables I have (3 feet) the problem still occurs. Much less frequently it seems (or maybe it's because Inception has more LFE than alot of my Blus), but it still occurs.

If there were a direct-port converter which plugged DIRECTLY into the player's optical port and converted it into a digital coaxial port, that I imagine would work assuming the converter fit snugly enough. It seems as if using the optical port at all is part of the problem. It just seems to be worse when a lengthier cable is used.

Right now I've got a metal clamp rigged limit the motion of the toslink connector, and that's working decently. I've actually got Inception down to only 3 pops throughout the entire movie.

If I ever fully fix it, I'll post up just in case anyone else ever has to deal with this ****ery, but I'm not sure what else I can do besides figure out a way to keep the toslink connector from moving AT ALL or opening the player itself and adjusting the optical port. I'll try some things before I get drunk for the super bowl this weekend
post #7 of 17 Old 01-31-2011, 11:41 AM

Why don't you replace the connector on the player, they're less than $5.00 each.
post #8 of 17 Old 01-31-2011, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Some optical jacks are self-sealing. They have a little door that closes when no cable is inserted, but it opens up when u push the cable in, am still thinking dirt/blockage. Of course u tried hooking things up in close proximity with a single cable and that works fine?

post #9 of 17 Old 01-31-2011, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by razr67 View Post

Why don't you replace the connector on the player, they're less than $5.00 each.

I'd also have to know what I'm doing opening up the player and hoping nothing needs to be taken off or moved to gain access to where the port is or I'd risk screwing the whole port up (and potentially the player itself).

I've taken apart many electronics, including a PC Blu-Ray player, but a standalone unit is not one I've played with, nor have I seen anyone else crack one open.

The player is a Panasonic DMP-BD60K, so if you know of someone who has taken it apart and successfully done such a thing, let me know please. And where would you get an optical jack for a Blu-Ray player for $5?
post #10 of 17 Old 01-31-2011, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Some optical jacks are self-sealing. They have a little door that closes when no cable is inserted, but it opens up when u push the cable in, am still thinking dirt/blockage. Of course u tried hooking things up in close proximity with a single cable and that works fine?

The one on the DMP BD-60K has a door as well, but I blew it out anyway. My receiving unit I use optical covers on, which I blew out as well (though, wiggling the connector on the receiver doesn't cause any popping, nor goes the cable move very willingly. It's a pretty snug fit).

The shortest optical cable I have is the 3 foot cable. It exhibits the popping issue as well if I wiggle the optical cable. The side that fits snugly doesn't have any issues. They also seem much less frequent, but with that said I've never watched Inception using the shorter cable. I did try a different longer cable, it pops as well if you wiggle the connector.
post #11 of 17 Old 01-31-2011, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shydow View Post

The shortest optical cable I have is the 3 foot cable. It exhibits the popping issue as well if I wiggle the optical cable.

So that's it. You got a bad/worn jack. Why do u resist changing it?

post #12 of 17 Old 01-31-2011, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

So that's it. You got a bad/worn jack. Why do u resist changing it?

I figured.

Yall two are making it sound like it's easy... I've never done it before, nor seen it done. In fact, I've never even opened my Blu-Ray player.

I wouldn't even know where to buy a new jack for that matter...

Like I mentioned to the other guy, I've taken apart alot of things, but a standalone Blu-Ray unit isn't one of them.

Any tutorials around here on how that's done?
post #13 of 17 Old 02-01-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:

Yall two are making it sound like it's easy

It is.

Quote:

I wouldn't even know where to buy a new jack for that matter...

Try Digikey for a start.

Quote:

Like I mentioned to the other guy, I've taken apart alot of things, but a standalone Blu-Ray unit isn't one of them.

Now's the time to learn. How many screws hold the cover on?
post #14 of 17 Old 02-01-2011, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

The thing better not be a little bit that just snaps or screws on or something.

If it's as simple as that I'm going to be mad I even asked the question lol.

I'll give it a look when I get home.
post #15 of 17 Old 02-01-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
The thing better not be a little bit that just snaps or screws on or something.

the TOSLINK 'connector' is a module containing a red LED.
Why not google for an idea of what it looks like...or, take the cover off and look.
post #16 of 17 Old 02-01-2011, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by razr67 View Post

the TOSLINK 'connector' is a module containing a red LED.
Why not google for an idea of what it looks like...or, take the cover off and look.

Because I'm not home... that's why I said I'll look when I get home.

And I know what the connector itself looks like, I just have never installed or removed one.
post #17 of 17 Old 02-02-2011, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Well now... we have a break in the case.

It appears as though the cable itself actually IS the issue.

I had my tools all lined up ready for deconstruction, but first I went back and tested the other cable I bought... no popping.

Apparently what I did the first time was try the older cable I bought from BJC and I thought it was the new one. They're both the same design-wise, one is just a foot or so longer. I actually forgot the cable was even behind my entertainment stand... It's SUPPOSED to be plugged into my TV, but apparently fell on the floor at some point and was just lying there. I havn't used my TV's optical out in a good year, so I've never noticed until now.

The second cable I bought of the pair actually DOES work, pop-free.

The third cable (the 3 ft cable) I tested with that popped -> although it popped when the connector was wriggled, is actually stable enough with just the connector in place. The problem with that cable is that it is visibly damaged itself. It's almost like the cable was "scrunched" some how. There's a puffy little knot-feeling thing on it. It's very small. Invisible unless closely examined, but it's there. Squeezing that area of the cable causes the pops as well. It's a Monster-made cable. I don't know what caused that knot, but the cable certainly was never scrunched by me. Maybe the rubber outer layer started breaking down or something... it's a pretty old cable. Not like 10 years old or anything, but it's a good 7 or 8 years old now.

Anywho, I've got a replacement cable on the way, and I suspect that'll be the end of any issues. I might crack the Blu-Ray player open for fun now since it's out of warranty though haha. Have to be after SB weekend if I do though ^_^

Glad to know it's apparently easy to change a toslink jack should the need ever arise.
Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page