Mount TV to horizontal stud - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-08-2011, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd like to mount my 40 lb TV over the mantelpiece, using a flat-plate type mount (Simplicity SXDP3). With a stud finder, I have determined that this area of the wall has studs running horizontally, rather than vertically. (There are vertical studs to either side of the fireplace, but none in between, that I can detect.)

I'm thinking of mounting the plate with the top bolted to one of the horizontal studs, and the lower part attached to the drywall with toggle bolts. Would this be reasonable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-09-2011, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 225
40 lbs? Sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Just as big an idea thief as)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-09-2011, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Studs are NOT horizontally mounted. What you have found is a fireblock. The 2x4 is cut to 14.5 inches and is usually just toenailed in between 2 studs. It serves to maintain the 16OC spacing, add some additional rigidity to the wall structure and serves as a fireblock.

These are in NO WAY sufficient to support a 40 TV.

Mount a piece of 3/4" plywood a minimum of 10" wide and 18" long (painted and edged) to the wall to span 2 studs using #8x2-1/2" deck screws.(minimum of 6) then fasten the TV mount to the plywood
post #4 of 5 Old 03-09-2011, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I'm not able to locate any vertical studs in the area in question --- around 7' wide from the mantelpiece up to the ceiling. Is it possible there are none? My (admittedly cheap) stud finder detects studs at 16" separation everywhere else but there. The section of wall in question has a chimney behind it, so maybe it gets enough support from that?
post #5 of 5 Old 03-09-2011, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
It is possible that the sheetrock was fastened (glued?) to furring strips that are against masonry. That will not provide a solid mount for a TV. You need to find out positively what is behind the sheetrock.

Using a horizontal 2x4 without knowing positively HOW it is secured to the studs in the wall is taking a big chance.
Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page