newb needs help choosing : - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-18-2011, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a small house and the busiest room is the office where I've got only 2 power outlets with 28 devices plugged in :2 x PC's (1 server), 2 x laptops with docking stations,1 x 55' LCD ,1 x cable box ,1 x surround system ,1 x sub, 5 x external HDD,1 x laser printer ,1 x ink jet printer , 4 x monitors (26') ,2 x routers , 1 x WD Live , 1 x multiple for iPhone/blackberry , 1 x surround speakers for PC, 1 x phone ,1 x ooma box ,1 x cable modem,1 x Xbox 360.
I'm starting to worry that a lightning strike can fry thousands of dollars and I'm even more afraid that I might start a fire... the lights start flickering when the laser printer works and everything else is turned on which is pretty much every day.
What should I buy to protect my investment .I've been looking at "APC AV 15 Amp G Type Rack Power Filter, 120V model G5BLK http://www.apc.com/products/resource...base_sku=G5BLK " or "APC AV Black 1.5kVA H Type Power Conditioner 120V mode H15BLK http://www.apc.com/products/resource...ase_sku=H15BLK ".
Is this really what I need or should I look for something else?
I really need some help...I don't need the equipment to be powered all the time I rather need my equipment to be safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-19-2011, 12:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I'd get an electrician in there before you burn the house down.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-19-2011, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter

installing more outlets on a dif breaker is a path I don't wanna go since I'm hoping to get a bigger house in a couple of years.. running a corde from another room is out of question too

Nither of the APC products that i linked can help?
post #4 of 6 Old 03-19-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binar View Post

installing more outlets on a dif breaker is a path I don't wanna go since I'm hoping to get a bigger house in a couple of years.. running a corde from another room is out of question too

Nither of the APC products that i linked can help?

I think your biggest issue here is the total amperage of all your devices. You say they're all on two outlets, are these two outlets on the same circuit? How many amps is the breaker(s) for the circuit(s)? Whats the total amperage of your devices? If you're lucky the outlets are on two separate 20 amp circuits. Figure this out, decide what devices you don't need on all the time, and only power up what has to be on. Alternatively, and really the BEST way to go is have an electrician run an additional two dedicated outlets. Technically you shouldn't have two worry about a fire if your breakers are functioning properly and correctly sized,but there's never a guarantee. I actually have to change breakers (20 down to 15) in my own house because of a careless electrician I hired to do a service upgrade. The amperage a circuit can handle is based on the gauge of the wire and length of run (though length isn't too often a factor in common homes) NOT the rating of the breaker, don't forget that the breaker is a safety, you CAN'T just swap out a 15 amp breaker and replace it with a 20!

I'd really recommend hiring the electrician.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-19-2011, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
... two outlets with 28 devices plugged in equates to a problem.

Installing filters, suppressors, conditioners or UPS equipment will be like placing a band-aid on a removed limb. You are probably overloading the circuits to the point where you have a voltage drop and excessive harmonic distortion on the circuits. Installing additional outlets from new breakers in the main panel would be the best answer.

My Home Theater Site:

DJ-Theater
post #6 of 6 Old 03-19-2011, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Doogie View Post

... two outlets with 28 devices plugged in equates to a problem.

Installing filters, suppressors, conditioners or UPS equipment will be like placing a band-aid on a removed limb. You are probably overloading the circuits to the point where you have a voltage drop and excessive harmonic distortion on the circuits. Installing additional outlets from new breakers in the main panel would be the best answer.

It would be the Only answer.
Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page