A/V Cooling Advice Needed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-03-2011, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm thinking I need some extra cooling in my TV stand, but I'm kind of in a bind.

As of right now my TV stand has a pass-through design (4 of 6 sides covered). The cable company switched out our DVRs to a new model and the new model runs really, really hot. I was thinking about using something like the Antec Veris A/V cooler, but my problem with that unit is that it's not remote controlled and all the reviews say it's pretty cheaply made. My other options as I see it are to either 1) find a 12v switched power inside the new DVR (shouldn't be hard with the hard drive in there) and wire in a fan - which I'm not thrilled about voiding the warranty - or 2) break out the hole saw and come up with a home-brew cooling solution - which I'm also not thrilled about messing up my masterfully designed, beautifully stained, contemporary, timeless, self-built cabinet - if I do say so myself! Ha!

So help me brainstorm. What are some effective, non-intrusive, relatively cheap and remote controlled cooling options? I'm pretty experienced with circuitry and construction so I'm not averse to making something myself. I just want to see what others have done in this situation.

El Hefe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2011, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Why do you think you need additional cooling if two sides are open? If there is adequate space around the device, convection should take care of it.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:43 PM

check out cool components. they have temp controlled units. i've used the cabinet duct system inna few applications and they seem to work great.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:42 AM

I'll be interested to see what comes up in this thread. My first thought was a thermostat controller from an attic fan, and a fan from a PC.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:18 PM

Liked: 11
A temp-controlled, 12VDC fan is pretty easy to build. I have a couple of them in my equipment rack and they work exactly as designed. I guess that's the benefit of making things yourself, it may take longer, but your finished product works exactly how you want, as long as you are willing to put in the time to research and think about what you need.

There are numerous places on the web to find temp-controlled 12VDC fan circuits, seek 'n ye' shall find :-) I modified my design from what I found (adding switches and additional fine-tuning circuits) and I never drew it up or I would share with you. A 12VDC, 120mm fan works very well, as the RPM can be kept lower than an 80mm fan while moving as much, or more air. Just be sure your temp control/power circuit can handle the current required by your fan, which will probably be around 150mA. A small, 12VDC wallwart-style power supply can be used to power everything and decent control circuit that uses pulse width modulation (PWM) to control fan speed is actually quite efficient.

Construction time took me a few hours, of which at least 25% was for testing my add-on circuit and tuning for proper temp adjustment to start the fan. Everything cost me less than $12. Don't forget to get a guard for the fan where it may be touchable by kids or pets, as that could cause unfortunate problems if Jr. sticks his paw into the rotating fan blades.

You may also find other uses for this hardware whenever you need a temp-controlled fan. It's handier than I ever thought and I'm glad I built them.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just use the Veris A/V cooler with a current sensing power strip for my hot receiver.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Good ventilation equipment is important but the location of in and out vents is important also. You have to make you are drawing in cool, allowing it to pass over your equipment and then vent out where the warm is accumulating. Cold air in at the bottom and warm air out at the top, preferably on opposite sides of the cabinet. Don't rely on convection alone. Active Thermal Management makes some nice thermister controlled products.