A/V Receiver Cooling success - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By eatdapoopoo
  • 1 Post By ambesolman
  • 1 Post By travisamc
  • 1 Post By Kevin. W

post #1 of 13 Old 04-20-2011, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I thought I'd post this here since it's hard to find any useful information on this. I just got my Onkyo HTIB the other day and noticed that the receiver gets extremely hot. I looked through the vents on the top and realized that there's absolutely no fans inside (wtf?). A lot of people say not to worry about it but f*** that.

So I got one of THESE (two fan version) and, with a USB extension from monoprice, am using those two small fans to suck air out of the hottest spots on the receiver. They're actually plugged into my TV's USB port so they only come on when the TV is on. Now, you would hardly know that the receiver had even been on. After a couple hours of use, it's not even hot at all!

And I'm actually using the laptop stand itself to prevent my laptop's vents from being blocked (it doesn't get hot enough to warrant external fans).

So, I hope my little story helps anyone looking for a simple cooling solution for their A/V receiver or any other device that gets excessively hot. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll upload some pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-20-2011, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatdapoopoo View Post

and realized that there's absolutely no fans inside (wtf?)

Either...

1. The "rack" is not getting fresh air and/or vents blocked.

2. U think u know better than the people who designed this amp. Great, that's why people who makes slick-50 and all those additives make money.

U must come from the PC big heatsink/big fan generation. My generation, any noise generating device (a fan) would be a no-no in a quiet AV environment.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-20-2011, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

Either...

No, actually I set it on it's own separate table completely in the open because I was worried that the cause of the heat build up was the shelf 4 inches above it.

Quote:

2. U think u know better than the people who designed this amp. Great, that's why people who makes slick-50 and all those additives make money.

No, not at all because I'm just a dumbass college student and I spent just $15 on a cooler designed for laptops.

Quote:

U must come from the PC big heatsink/big fan generation. My generation, any noise generating device (a fan) would be a no-no in a quiet AV environment.

Exactly correct! But these fans are only 80mm and draw their power from a USB, so they aren't loud at all. If I had the time/money I'd love to make a massive, noisy heatsink just to completely ensure that my big home theater investment doesn't go down the toilet. If not then just to avoid RMAing a 100lb home theater system (open-box so refund only).

I read that the HDMI board tends to be the thing that goes on Onkyo receivers. Seeing as how it's the hottest part of the receiver, I can only assume it's because of heat build-up. I'm just trying to help people out and I have experience with cooling. I don't want to insult anyone's intelligence.
Pfeffernuss likes this.
post #4 of 13 Old 08-10-2014, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
U think u know better than the people who designed this amp. Great, that's why people who makes slick-50 and all those additives make money.

My Onkyo runs too hot. It does have fans in it, but they basically don't come on. Onkyo stands behind their engineers, but given their track record for HDMI board failures, I'm wondering if this is "designed (or planned) obsolescence" trying to get people to replace systems the year they come off warranty...

I'm looking at cooling options as well - and if this guy's solution is powered by the tv's USB port, I doubt it's going to cause a ton of interference - nothing audible anyway. 120mm fans typically are 19-25 db at the loudest - nothing you'll hear unless you put your ear right on them.

Don't think your personal attack is warranted here.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-10-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 598
My denon x4000 was getting pretty hot due to the lack of space around it. It's open in the front and back but only has ~1" all the way around it. Decided to try one of these and while it's a little louder than I'd prefer, it's livable. It's made a drastic temp difference and barely feels warm anymore. Highly recommended!

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556096627.html
nikhilnh likes this.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-23-2014, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I also made a cooling system for my AV equipment. I designed the entertainment center with large cutouts in the front on bottom below the doors. Then added 2 120mm fans on the back on top of each cabinet. This pulls in the cool air from the floor through the cabinet and the hot air is pulled out of the top in back.

For extra insurance I used an old Xbox 360 fan spliced to run off USB power and plugged it into my AVR's USB port.
I placed it directly on top of my Integra to pull air straight up and out and the previous fans take it from there.

I too bought everything from Cooler guys, mine run off a switch since I didn't want to trust the temp sensor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1408798358504.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	225362   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1408798431591.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	225378  
ambesolman likes this.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-14-2014, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I also installed cooling (exhaust) fans on top of each of my receiver, prepro, and amp. Yes they are audible but faint at 8 feet.Heat triggers a lot of possible failures especially on the sensitive parts. I'd rather hear that little noise than not hearing any sound from them after a few years of use.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-14-2014, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatdapoopoo View Post
I thought I'd post this here since it's hard to find any useful information on this. I just got my Onkyo HTIB the other day and noticed that the receiver gets extremely hot. I looked through the vents on the top and realized that there's absolutely no fans inside (wtf?). A lot of people say not to worry about it but f*** that.

So I got one of THESE (two fan version) and, with a USB extension from monoprice, am using those two small fans to suck air out of the hottest spots on the receiver. They're actually plugged into my TV's USB port so they only come on when the TV is on. Now, you would hardly know that the receiver had even been on. After a couple hours of use, it's not even hot at all!

And I'm actually using the laptop stand itself to prevent my laptop's vents from being blocked (it doesn't get hot enough to warrant external fans).

So, I hope my little story helps anyone looking for a simple cooling solution for their A/V receiver or any other device that gets excessively hot. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll upload some pictures.

I use the exact same fans. Since my cabinet has an open back I drilled some holes on the side of my cabinet, so as to pull air in the back and push out the side. Creates a nice air flow into and out of the cabinet. can I hear it? Nope
post #9 of 13 Old 12-14-2014, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by eatdapoopoo

and realized that there's absolutely no fans inside (wtf?)

Either...

Seriously, as an " AVS Special Member" you would think you know how to properly respond to some ones enquiry. Not everyone has an open cabinet/rack, or is designed with air flow in mind.
flyr1 likes this.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-29-2014, 01:15 PM

Liked: 0
Looking for reuse of a 12V DC cooling fan to cool a cabinet for the Yamaha RX-V775BT.

The receiver has a 12V trigger out port - has anyone tried using something similar to drive a 12V cooling fan?
post #11 of 13 Old 12-29-2014, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by javaconstructor View Post
Looking for reuse of a 12V DC cooling fan to cool a cabinet for the Yamaha RX-V775BT.

The receiver has a 12V trigger out port - has anyone tried using something similar to drive a 12V cooling fan?

I haven't. One with a regular plug and temp sensor works only when hot and cuts off when not needed.

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
post #12 of 13 Old 12-30-2014, 09:11 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
I haven't. One with a regular plug and temp sensor works only when hot and cuts off when not needed.

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
Sounds like the best/safest approach. Thanks!

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V775BT
Subwoofer: BIC America F-12
Speakers: Polk Audio RC65i
post #13 of 13 Old 06-08-2015, 05:01 AM

Liked: 12
In my setup, I have a cooling fan into the back of my entertainment unit that has a temp sensor to turn on for ambient temp when the units are running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page