AVS Forum banner

WAGO Cage Clamp for speaker splice

12K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Neurorad 
#1 ·
I just bought some WAGO Cage Clamps because I need to splice my speaker wires to make them longer. Can someone help explain to me how this will work? My cage clamps will have 3 entry points like see on an Amazon link that I bought it off of.

How does this work? Red/black for example...do I take red wire strand from my old speaker wire and clamp it together with the red strand from my new extension? And then do the same with black? Clamp the 2 reds together and clamp the 2 blacks together? And I guess my 3rd clamp would be stay empty?

#2 ·
Yes, black to black and red to red.

If 3 levers, then 1 hole will be empty.

It's a splice, just a secure connection.

Tip - clamp all 3 levers down, even though only 2 wires connected.

#4 ·
They're relatively idiot-proof.

You do need to know what wires to connect, though.

They've worked great for my whole-house audio retrofit, replacing in-wall volume controls with keypads. I'm sealing these connections up in the walls, so I would like something pretty reliable. The keypads are mounted at eye height, and the VCs were at switch height.

#6 ·
Pretty easy to run new cables, if and when the connections fail.

But, a cable toner would allow me to determine the path of the cable, to locate the former VC position, and find the splice, if I had to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.