what I did about LED's that were too bright - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-22-2011, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My cable modem and D-Link router are in my den, and occasionally someone sleeps on the sofa in the den. With all of the other lights out, the LED's on these 2 devices are very bright. I had a roll of the blue painters tape in the garage so I cut a couple of strips of the blue tape and put on top of the LED's. The blue tape is somewhat translucent so it blocks some but not all of the light. Even with 2 layers of the tape over the LED's, I can still see them when I want to see them, but they don't light up the room so much when the other lights are off. I used the blue painters tape because it peels off easily. For some reason I had to remove the tape from one of the devices and it came off easily and relatively cleanly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-22-2011, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I use black electrical tape to kill those obnoxious blue LEDs that seem to be all the rage on consumer electronics these days. It matches the faces of the electronic devices well and blocks all the light from those lights, which is exactly what I'm trying to accomplish. I regard those as ugly and unnecessary bling. I know when my components are on or off; I don't need or want bling to shout it to me.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-22-2011, 08:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I would put the tape over the eyes of the sleeper.

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
post #4 of 10 Old 05-22-2011, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So FREE night-lights is bad?

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #5 of 10 Old 05-22-2011, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

So FREE night-lights is bad?

What's so free about them????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Just as big an idea thief as)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-22-2011, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

What's so free about them????

They are already there. No need to run out the store to buy, or pay extra electricity$.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #7 of 10 Old 05-22-2011, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
OK, they're going to be there anyway so they can be considered as free, and they work as nightlights but they are too darned bright, and the blinking ones are a distraction. In my case I wanted to be able to see the LED's when I look at them (my internet service is very unreliable and I can tell by the LED's on the modem if my ISP is giving me a signal or not), so significantly muting them is what I wanted. I had never thought about eliminating them completely but I can see that electrical tape would work well for that. The other issue is that the blue painters tape can be removed cleanly, but electrical tape is likely to leave some goo behind.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-22-2011, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 215
I've got a Clear QAM tuner in my bedroom that has such a bright blue LED I had to put two layers of Manilla Folder cardboard under the painters' tape to mute it.

(Just as big an idea thief as)

post #9 of 10 Old 05-23-2011, 03:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
this thread is fairly humorous

Current Projects:

ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #10 of 10 Old 05-26-2011, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My computer case has some seriously bright LEDs on the front of the case for well...no reason but looks! I was building my new office and put the PC on my dresser connected to the LCD for a temp setup and the first night it was connected it powered on in the middle of the night to run some tasks. Well...the LEDs lined up perfectly with my sleeping wife and when they lit up she jumped out of bed! You could image the look I got and made sure to turn off my middle of the night tasks. They are so bright that even the guy across the street commented when he could see them from his house.
Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page