AVS Forum banner

speaker cable source?

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  SAM64 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I'm having a hard time finding what I though would be pretty simple: 30 ft (or less) of 14 gauge speaker cable at a decent price. There's some well-priced cable out there but I really don't need 100 feet of cabling, I really need more like 20 ft or less for a stereo setup.

I also figured it would be easy to find shielded cabling, but that's been really tough to find, so as much as it kills me I'll go the aluminum foil route (wrapping in aluminum foil and grounding that is as good a faraday cage as you'll get), it just looks kind of ghetto but maybe I can hide it somehow.

Anyway, and advice would be appreciated, I'm looking for any place to get this kind of cabling. There sadly isn't any store that I know of nearby (live in Boston MA) that would carry this at decent pricing, except you-do-it electronics but that's a bit far afield.

Thanks

#8 ·
Non ferrous based metals (i.e.,aluminum) do not make a Faraday shield. Secondly, there is no reason to ever shield a speaker cable. Unshielded paired cable is all you need.

If you are installing it inside a wall then it needs to be CL-2 rated. If it is laying on the floor, low voltage 12 awg lighting cables from HD or Lowe's is perfect.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmologist /forum/post/20543681

Non ferrous based metals (i.e.,aluminum) do not make a Faraday shield. Secondly, there is no reason to ever shield a speaker cable. Unshielded paired cable is all you need.

If you are installing it inside a wall then it needs to be CL-2 rated. If it is laying on the floor, low voltage 12 awg lighting cables from HD or Lowe's is perfect.

Wrong. Any conductor can be used for shielding. However, wrapping a wire in foil is not creating a Faraday Cage, either. Now lining the room with aluminum window screen would be an example of a Faraday Cage... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

#10 ·

Quote:
Any conductor can be used for shielding.

non ferous metals can form an elctrostatic shield only.

Quote:
wrapping a wire in foil is not creating a Faraday Cage

Sure it is, why do you say it isn't?

Quote:
Now lining the room with aluminum window screen would be an example of a Faraday Cage

Surrounding anything with a grounded conductor forms a faraday cage...just like a bridge.

#11 ·
From my 1970 "Modern Dictionary of Electronics"

Faraday Cage - Shield - Screen

A network of parallel wires connected to a common conductor at one end to provide electrostatic shielding without affecting electromagnetic waves. The common conductor is usually grounded.

---------------

I think that this thread as suffered definition slip.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater /forum/post/20548821

From my 1970 "Modern Dictionary of Electronics"

Faraday Cage - Shield - Screen

A network of parallel wires connected to a common conductor at one end to provide electrostatic shielding without affecting electromagnetic waves. The common conductor is usually grounded.

---------------

I think that this thread as suffered definition slip.

That's what we said.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.