AVS Forum banner

Coaxial A/B Switch

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Jim1348 
#1 ·
I bought a Samsung UN22D5000 two days ago to replace a Samsung LNT1953H TV/Computer monitor. The older one has two F connectors for coaxial cable, but the newer one has only one. Because I like to have both an over the air antenna and DISH network, I need twin coaxial cables. I bought a cheap Philips A/B this weekend and found it to be very lossy. Some much so that when I connected either cable by itself everything was fine, but simply adding that switch and a short 3 foot run of RG-6 the over the air channels pixelate. I suppose it could be the patch cable or the switch. At any rate I am know wondering if all A/B switches are created equally, or if some are more lossy than others. And, if that is the case, what are some better switches that won't lose as much signal?

#3 ·
Simple answer is why are you running coax from your dish box to the tv in the first place? Use the HDMI, Component, Svideo, or Composite. Any would be a huge improvement in picture and sound.

#4 ·
The DISH 722k modulates on either NTSC or cable channels, so I selected to cable channels and I have RG6 on all three levels of the house to tune in either TV1 or TV2 content from the DISH satellite receiver. I suppose I could replace the RG6 with multiple runs of HDMI, Component, Svideo, or Composite, but I think it would get pretty expensive. I think that it would even be better if the 722k sent it out via ATSC through the RG6 that the recovered content would be better, but I doubt that will happen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.