Coaxial A/B Switch - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-13-2011, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I bought a Samsung UN22D5000 two days ago to replace a Samsung LNT1953H TV/Computer monitor. The older one has two F connectors for coaxial cable, but the newer one has only one. Because I like to have both an over the air antenna and DISH network, I need twin coaxial cables. I bought a cheap Philips A/B this weekend and found it to be very lossy. Some much so that when I connected either cable by itself everything was fine, but simply adding that switch and a short 3 foot run of RG-6 the over the air channels pixelate. I suppose it could be the patch cable or the switch. At any rate I am know wondering if all A/B switches are created equally, or if some are more lossy than others. And, if that is the case, what are some better switches that won't lose as much signal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-14-2011, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have heard electronic switches can be lossy, mechanical switches much better, if u don't do this often and don't mind getting off the couch.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #3 of 4 Old 06-14-2011, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Simple answer is why are you running coax from your dish box to the tv in the first place? Use the HDMI, Component, Svideo, or Composite. Any would be a huge improvement in picture and sound.

Joe Zoz
Leon Speakers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 4 Old 06-17-2011, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The DISH 722k modulates on either NTSC or cable channels, so I selected to cable channels and I have RG6 on all three levels of the house to tune in either TV1 or TV2 content from the DISH satellite receiver. I suppose I could replace the RG6 with multiple runs of HDMI, Component, Svideo, or Composite, but I think it would get pretty expensive. I think that it would even be better if the 722k sent it out via ATSC through the RG6 that the recovered content would be better, but I doubt that will happen.
Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page