AVS Forum banner

Composite and component, converted to HDMI?

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  HowlinWolf 
#1 ·
So here is the situation folks...

In my motorhome, I have 2 TV's, both flat panels. One of them can do 1080p, the other 720p. I am fine with having both at 720p for this, so lets just say they are both 720p.

For the sources, I have a DVD player with Component RCA outputs, and a Directv receiver with Composite RCA outputs. I also have a stereo system with RCA inputs.

What I have been doing is, converting both signals to coax, using a coax splitter, running coax to both tv's, and connecting an RCA to 3.5mm adapter cable to the stereo from one of the tv's headphone jacks. The cables get pretty messy, and I only do it on an as needed basis.

I am trying to clean this up and permanently mount some HDMI cables to run to the tv's, with permanent RCA's to the stereo.

How can I get the signals converted, split, and the audio spliced? Both tv's will always be watching the same thing, at the same time. The stereo will be used sometimes, but not always.

So far, the best solution I can come up with is something like this:

DVD player to some sort of component splitter. The splitter would leave me with 2 audio and video outputs. The audio outputs from one side would go to an audio switch. Both the audio and video from the other side would go to a component to HDMI converter.

The Directv receiver outputs to some sort of a composite splitter, which would leave me with 2 audio and video outputs. The audio from one side would go to the same audio switch as the component splitter mentioned in the last paragraph. Both the audio and video from the other side would go to a composite to HDMI converter.

Both HDMI outputs form the converters would go to an HDMI switch.

So at this point I am left with 1 audio output from the audio switch, and 1 HDMI output from the HDMI switch.

The output from the audio switch would go to the stereo.

The HDMI output would need to go to a splitter in order to get it to 2 tv's at the same time.

Is there a simpler way to do this? This seems like a lot of crap to buy and carry around. Is there one box that does all of this?

Also, while looking around, I see some HDMI splitters are actually a box that use a power supply. Others are just a cable with 2 HDMI ports on one end. Is there a difference in performance?

See less See more
#2 ·
Why the limitation to using composite out of the DirecTV box? Seems like the easiest solution would be to get a free upgrade from dTV to get a reciever with HDMI output. Barring that, maybe upgrade to a SIR-TS160 or TS360 to get DVI output (and use a DVI-HDMI cord). Both of those units can be had for $30 or less on Ebay. Either way you'll get a much better picture than trying to convert composite to HDMI.

Same thing with the DVD player, upgrade to something with DVI or HDMI output. Run both to a HDMI splitter and avoid the hassle.

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtaint /forum/post/20598402

Why the limitation to using composite out of the DirecTV box? Seems like the easiest solution would be to get a free upgrade from dTV to get a reciever with HDMI output. Barring that, maybe upgrade to a SIR-TS160 or TS360 to get DVI output (and use a DVI-HDMI cord). Both of those units can be had for $30 or less on Ebay. Either way you'll get a much better picture than trying to convert composite to HDMI.

Same thing with the DVD player, upgrade to something with DVI or HDMI output. Run both to a HDMI splitter and avoid the hassle.

Well this is on a motorhome with one of those automatic satellite finding dish dome things on top. So if I upgrade to a new HDMI receiver, I think I have to upgrade that dish too. And those dishes are not cheap. It's something like $1000 + to get a new one installed, just for the dish, plus the receiver.

Anyway, I ended up getting everything.

I got 2 sets of RCA "Y" jacks that I put on the audio from the component and composite outs. 1 set from each of them goes to a regular composite switch, with the output going to my stereo's aux in.

Then I have the composite (and the other half of the "Y" jacked audio) going to the component to HDMI converter. The component (and the other half of it's "Y" jacked audio) goes to the composite to HDMI converter.

The HDMI outputs of those converters are connected to an HDMI switch. The output of the HDMI switch goes to an HDMI splitter. The two outputs from the HDMI splitter go to the 2 tv's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.