TV help with connections - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-27-2011, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this question so will apologise now if not.

I am going to buy a new TV and I want it to be a 50" plasma with 3D (I chose the LG 50PW450 model as it fits my budget(barely)).
If I were to buy the panasonic viera in my price range I can get the TV with an ethernet socket in the back of it but no 3D.
The LG has 3D but no ethernet socket.

I want to be able to stream movies off my computer in another room the same as I am doing now with the PS3 on a CRT TV. My setup is computer to PS3 with a very long ethernet/lan cable then PS3 to my CRT TV.

If the replacement TV doesnt have ethernet/lan socket but does have HDMI and USB is there any way around this problem to allow me to use the TV to play the files off my computer as if it were just a USB stick. I no longer want the PS3 to be the player as the TV can play 720p files and PS3 can't without lots of messing about.

Maybe the ethernet cable can plug into a jack that converts it to a USB or something wonderful like this or maybe I've overlooked something obvious?

Not sure if what I wrote makes sense to you guys but I hope so

Bottom line I don't want to buy the MUCH more expensive model TV with the ethernet connection in the back.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-27-2011, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You could get a Roku/Popcorn Hour/Western Digital, then it won't matter what TV you get.

Otherwise...if you want to stream, you need a TV that streams, or you need a player that does.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-27-2011, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Probably better off with a streamer, than with a TV that has a streaming function.

Just like you wouldn't buy a TV with a DVD player built in.

Streaming technology seems to change pretty fast - I bet you'll want a new streamer before you want a new display.

There is a networking/streamer subforum here at AVS.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...prune=365&f=39

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #4 of 4 Old 07-04-2011, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Good advice guys. I heard the boxee box streams all kinds of content also.
The OP is going to have to spend a few hundred to do something like this.
Get your cables from Monoprice or BlueJeans cable. See links at the top of the page.
Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page