AVS Forum banner

DIY AM Radio Antenna

5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  tarquineous 
#1 ·
Sorry if I'm not posting this in the right forum, I didn't find one specifically for traditional radio, just for satellite and HD radio. Also sorry if this sounds like a ridiculously simple question. I'm thinking of creating my own long-range AM antenna. I plan on stringing up a fair length of some 22-gauge insulated wire, probably keeping it somewhat coiled so as to build up inductance. Would it be beneficial to add actual inductors in series with the wire antenna? If so, about what value inductor would I be looking at? I know I probably don't want TOO much, for then I would lose the higher frequencies (and interfere with the tuner maybe?). I'd just like to be able to get the full range from 530 to 1710 KHz as clearly as possible.

#3 ·
I would say buy an AM antennae that is engineered and designed to work in the band you use. There may be a kit for this also. Read up on it from technical articles. You may be able to make a real good one from the correct information.

If you want a booster, Russ Andrews Products sells one that works. I have one, and the sound and reception is noticeably better on all stations.

Good luck with your project.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.