More than a blown fuse? (old receiver) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-09-2011, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I have an old jvc rx705v receiver that doesn't turn on anymore. I thought someone plugged something that drew too much current into the AC outlets in the back, as there clearly was a blown fuse near them. I went to radio shack and got a replacement fuse, but when I replaced it and plugged the receiver back in, it immediately blew again. This was with nothing at all plugged into it. I've stared at it for quite a while, but I really don't have a clue!

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with this, or even if this is the right place to be asking! (my apologies if not - feel free to tow/delete this)

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-10-2011, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
First thing to test is the power supply after disconnecting the DC rails to the output section. If the power supply operates without blowing the fuse, the likely culprit will be in the output stage. If the fuse blows with the DC outputs disconnected, then the transformer itself should be tested.

If the rectifier diodes or bridge is shot, blown fuse is likely, Filter caps blown or shorted? Blown fuse. Output transistors or ICs fried? Blown fuse.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-10-2011, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
if you are not willing to open it up and troubleshoot, we're done. Buy new receiver.

if you don't know transformer vs rectifier vs transistor, we're also done.

As Giz says, ez thing to test is the power supply, then most likely one or more of the power transistors (the ones attached to big heatsinks) are bad, and for that u need a multimeter and know how to test a transistor. Another ez thing to do is to open it up and inspect for dark spots, this is where burnt components are.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page