Backup to wall mount failure - not killing kids for fun and profit - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 01-17-2012, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm a couple days from mounting a large, heavy object via Monoprice mount above my fireplace. I've already secured the mounting plate, just waiting for the electrician to wire in the service (it's family, free, and I hate working on my 200A service).

The Monoprice mount seems very sturdy. I got some good long lag screws from Lowes to firm up the install and I'm very confident the TV will hold.

But what if...

My very young daughters love to sit around and play in that area and I'm not sure I'm 100% comfortable with essentially putting their lives in the China-sourced metal mount. Has anyone installed any kind of backup system in case of mount failure? I'm thinking something that drills into a stud and attaches to the TV in a secondary manor with something with a little give to it so a sudden detachment doesn't snap it - a high rated, short bungee cord of sorts.

If the TV ever did break loose I wouldn't care about damage to the TV; I'd almost welcome an excuse to upgrade. I would rather avoid any kind of major head trauma however.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-17-2012, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Zip ties!?
post #3 of 16 Old 01-17-2012, 05:03 PM

Liked: 22
You could ask Martin-Baker to design a zero-zero ejection system for the set. That would prevent head trauma (from the TV at least). Overkill? Maybe. You'd be the only one on the block, though!

You get what you pay for.  For professional advice, pay the professional rate.
post #4 of 16 Old 01-17-2012, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 28
My 46" Sammy has a 5th screw to attach a cable to it, for this purpose.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-19-2012, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 81
If it's hidden, I don't see the harm. But what if that cable breaks too? Maybe a 2nd, or 3rd cable?

I think it's much more likely that failure will occur with the wall/stud attachment, than with the mount.

Did you notice that the studs are only secured with a couple nails?

Maybe you should look into a projector. On a low pedestal. And Goo Systems screen paint.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #6 of 16 Old 01-19-2012, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

I guess that's the point of a reserve system - to provide a little more protection in the worst case scenario. If the mount fails, and the backup system fails, maybe God just really has it in for my kids.

Studs are solid, lag bolts are solid. I'm putting in a thick eyelet deep into another part of the stud w/a thick bungee wrapped through a piece of the TV's frame in back. If the worst happens it will at least substantially slow the fall to something non-lethal.
post #7 of 16 Old 01-21-2012, 02:08 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanlaw View Post

I guess that's the point of a reserve system - to provide a little more protection in the worst case scenario. If the mount fails, and the backup system fails, maybe God just really has it in for my kids.

LOL... Just be sure that your insurance covers "act of God" incidents...

You get what you pay for.  For professional advice, pay the professional rate.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-21-2012, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Daemon View Post

LOL... Just be sure that your insurance covers "act of God" incidents...

I don't think insurance pay for the kids.

Hey man, you acted responsibly, that's all you can do, society won't blame ya.

Now leaving a toddler in a hot car, or backing up the drive way wo knowing where the kids are... perhaps think about those.
post #9 of 16 Old 01-31-2012, 11:12 AM

Good thread...
I'm actually thinking of a back up plan for my setup...

I'm going to shelf mount my projector in the back of the room, which will be directly above my head as I sit on the couch. The shelf will be definitely drilled into the studs... Still makes you paranoid though, right?
post #10 of 16 Old 02-01-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm sure you also secured the tall furniture in all the rooms, right?

Not being too sarcastic here...I did secure the tall chests in their room's which could be climbed. As for the TVs, just make sure to secure the lock mechanism so it can't come off the mount. Also, yes, some TVs do have a security hole for attaching a cable anchor.
post #11 of 16 Old 02-01-2012, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Make kids wear those pet buzzers, when they cross the invisible perimeter set up by u, they get a shock! KIDDING!

A big coffee table in front of the TV should do the trick and stop the obsession.
post #12 of 16 Old 02-01-2012, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

As I said I'm mounting the TV above the fireplace. Not sure what kind of feng shui you subscribe to, but a large coffee table in front of the fireplace isn't going to win me any room design awards.

TV is up. I'm pretty happy with the setup. Stainless steel eyelet is very secure, with a long bungee wrapped around everything behind the TV. If the brackets or bolts holding them to the TV give, the bungee should keep the TV from crashing straight down. TV will probably get destroyed as it's not a controlled descent by any means, but who gives a crap if it saves a kid.
post #13 of 16 Old 02-23-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

Make kids wear those pet buzzers, when they cross the invisible perimeter set up by u, they get a shock! KIDDING!

A big coffee table in front of the TV should do the trick and stop the obsession.

HAHAHA I agree 100% or just move her play toys away from that area. Good luck!
post #14 of 16 Old 06-12-2012, 09:04 PM

I always hang on my Monoprice mounts before I put the TV up (200+ lbs) even my living room one with it's tilting pull out swiveling mount was strong enough. But your "safety mechanism seems plenty good enough. If your trying to kill the kids, I'm sure there are easier ways then making the TV fall on them, You should be fine.

My "Route 66 Basement Theater" Build Thread
post #15 of 16 Old 06-14-2012, 12:59 PM

Liked: 11
Why use a bungie chord...it will probably just stretch to it's extreme and snap. Use some high tensive strength wire - they sell it at home depot and can hold several hundred pounds. Make it tight so if something does come loose it can't get momentum. The wire should hold the tv exactly where it is now. I have the exact same set up as you with a 9 month old and a 50" plasma mounted above the fireplace. The plasma has been there for 6 years so I doubt it's going anywhere. Now I did hang some large surround sound speakers from my ceiling and I did run a safety wire from the back of the speaker to the mount screw in the ceiling joist. That way if the mounting bracket ever breaks free the speaker will just swing a little in it's current position. If the screw comes out of the joist, then something went very wrong.

Jutter is gone..zipadeedoodah zipadeeday!!!
post #16 of 16 Old 07-20-2012, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Use the screw on back of tv for cable. Make cable long, so it will fall a bit first. If braided aircraft cable breaks it will still slow tv down, and it would be like it falling from a few feet lower.
Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page