AV Cabinet: Cooling Fan Location(s) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-27-2012, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a small cabinet that houses my AVR (sitting in an open compartment with no door) and my Blu-ray player/PVR/surge protector sitting on individual shelves inside of the lower compartment behind a closed door. See picture attached, but note the PVR and surge protector are sitting on top temporarily and will be moved inside the lower cabinet behind the door.

I'm planning on purchasing a pair of SilenX fans to help keep things cool, but really my main concern is keeping that AVR as cool as possible (which is why it's sitting on the open shelf in the first place).

Any opinions on the ideal location to install the fans? My original thought was to put one on each side, in the upper rear corners (see red circles in picture). This way they would remain unobstructed (as opposed to putting them on the back of the cabinet where they would just be up against the wall. Suppose I could put them on top of the cabinet (pointing upwards) but was concerned that a spilled drink would pour directly on top of the AVR (over cautious?).

Also, I was going to have both fans exhausting air out of the cabinet, as I don't want them pulling air(dust) into the cabinet.

Any thoughts on this?
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-28-2012, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:

Also, I was going to have both fans exhausting air out of the cabinet, as I don’t want them pulling air(dust) into the cabinet.

Where will the air get in? A third hole, with a filter would help.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-28-2012, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
1 pulls air in, the other out. Good idea, on the filter.

You'll get some ideas here:
http://www.coolerguys.com/

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #4 of 8 Old 02-29-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
IHO totally unnecessary. U got a big hole up front, that's enough to let the hot air out. The bottom half looks like all enclosed(?) here u should have in-holes and out-holes, still no fans and am unanimous on that.

Worried about dust? Errrr... unless you have a completely sealed cabinet with FILTERED intake holes, it's gonna be unavoidable. Ur having a newbie/new car syndrome.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #5 of 8 Old 02-29-2012, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Check out my thread below. No cutting. I have 2 in use. Fans are 5V and run off a 110v to USB converter. One is plugged into the switched outlet on the back of the receiver. The other is plugged into an always live outlet and cools my DVR (runs 24/7).

Fans on top of components
post #6 of 8 Old 06-25-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvluvr View Post

Check out my thread below. No cutting. I have 2 in use. Fans are 5V and run off a 110v to USB converter. One is plugged into the switched outlet on the back of the receiver. The other is plugged into an always live outlet and cools my DVR (runs 24/7).

Fans on top of components

Hdtvluvr,
Do you have any issues with rattling noises from vibrations from your dustpan scoop on top of your components? Or do you recommend dampening the noise with rubber feet of some sort?
post #7 of 8 Old 06-28-2012, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Sorry I missed this question. I do not have any vibration noise. If there were any vibration noise, I would probably used some rubber insulation weather strip instead of a few feet so as to keep the "seal".

let me know if you have any other questions.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-29-2012, 12:41 PM

My cabinet is a whole lot wider. Its about 2 meter wide. I installed 5 x 80mm computer tower fans to the rear of the upper corners either side of the cabinet and used a computer power supply to feed current to the fans. I fitted an on/off switch onto the cabinet which is connected to the computer power supply, That way if I do not have the room airconditioner switched on I flick the power switch mounted on the cabinet and the fans run quietly, and suck any warm air out the rear of the cabinet. As there are a total of 10 fans the setup is very efficient. Unless you kneel down and shine a torch into the cabinet you would never know the fans were there.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1312107/official-anthem-statement-amp-p2-and-p5-owners-thread

some pics of my setup
Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page