Help with sound from speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-18-2012, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I.m trying to get sound thru my receivers speakers, with the new Panasonic 42e50 I purchased. I had a smaller 26 inch set up , connected to the tv, the audio in R L, then to the receiver(Yamaha rx870) audio R L, selected ld/tv got sound. Now I think I have it set up similar. From the receiver to the l42e50 using the supplied component adapter but get no sound. Any help suggestionsThanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-18-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Your description is a little confusing.

Do you have a cable box or do you get over-the-air TV signals using an antenna?

If you use a cable box, it may be simpler to connect the cable box and all your other devices to your AVR. Use a single HDMI cable to send video to the TV.

If you get OTA programming, then you do need an audio connection coming back from the TV to the AVR, using either a digital audio cable or Audio-Return-Channel over HDMI. Both TV and AVR need to support ARC in order for the latter to work.

Note that most TVs provide 5.1 surround-sound back to the AVR only for over-the-air broadcast stations, not for other input devices plugged into the TV. They only pass through stereo from directly connected devices. Carefully read your TV's manual to find out if ARC and multichannel audio are available.

Selden
post #3 of 6 Old 04-18-2012, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

it was a little confusing...
I had a smaller tv hooked to my receiver using component connections, audio L/R from the tv to the receiver. i'm just replacing the smaller tv with the 42 inch. i would think that the set up would be the same, just replacing a larger tv, same components.
post #4 of 6 Old 04-18-2012, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Wow - wow - wow. Don't say COMPONENT unless you mean it. The COMPONENT hookup is a very specific hookup comprised of 5 (FIVE) individual RCA plugs 3 for video and 2 for audio AND the audio is for INPUT, not output. Story short the entire component hookup is for device -> TV, NOT TV -> device.

Alright, I took the trouble of looking up the Panasonic's spec. It seems this TV DOES NOT have analog audio output, you must use the digital out connection. Hoping your receiver have digital hookup.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #5 of 6 Old 04-19-2012, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the time,looking up the tv's specs. I got the jest of what you are saying and no the unit rxv870 does not have the digital jack. but i do have a newer rx-v863 down stairs with the digital jack, so i'll switch them out. so its just the matter of going from the tv to the av receiver using the digital on both ends....to get sound from the receivers speakers.thanks
post #6 of 6 Old 04-19-2012, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Do you have a cable box or do you get over-the-air TV signals using an antenna?

If you use a cable box, it may be simpler to connect the cable box and all your other devices to your AVR. Use a single HDMI cable to send video to the TV.

Yes!!! i have sound. i tried as first suggested, connected to HD cable box and receiver, HDMI to TV. Thanks
Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page