Ceiling Mounted Track Kit for Plasma TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-11-2012, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I have been building a Dedicated Home Theater Room in my basement. Part of the way through I realized I would need to also mount the Plasma TV in the room so we can play the Wii and do exercise videos - our heads were in the way of the projector! With that in mind, I started looking for ceiling mounted track kits, so I could store the TV on the wall when not in use, then slide it into the room and twist it 90 degrees when I want to use it. I found a company which does it - for the low price of $3200...

With that number burning in my mind, I decided to design my own. Here are my results. The final cost was slightly over $500, which is not bad considering the cheapest I could find it premade by someone else was $3200! So here we go, pics of the final results, followed by what I did to get there.

Flush against the wall

142.jpg

Side view against the wall

143.jpg

45 degree angle near the wall - perfect for playing the Wii or anything which requires a LOT of room

144.jpg

In the center of the room - it is at a 90 degree angle compared to when it is against the wall. EDIT: WOW! Due to being so much closer, it almost looks at big as the screen - it definately is not. smile.gif

145.jpg

Rear view of the mount. It is a Sanus LC1A Ceiling Mount $130

146.jpg

Here you can see the Cable Carrier Chain by IGUS - what I call the tank tread part IGU-E08-10-028-0 $100

147.jpg

Johnson Hardware 200SD Commercial Grade Sliding Bypass Door hardware. Two 6 foot rails, four rollers, two rail mounted door stops, wrench $200

148.jpg

Here you can see two pics of it all mounted. I used 3/4 inch one hole strap to hold it to the ceiling, I used electrical tape on every other or every third knuckle to help ensure the wires stay inside the chain. Home Depot in the electrical parts $2

149.jpg

150.jpg

The cover was fabricated by a local metal fabrication shop. It is aluminum and has piano hinges on it so I can open them to get inside. $70

The door rollers were mounted onto the ceiling plate of the Sanus mount, the extra bolt length sticking through the mount was cut off flush. The two door rails were mounted onto the ceiling. This was easy for me as I have a double layer ceiling - the first layer is 1/2 inch OSB and the second is 1/2 inch drywall (with Gree Glue between them). This meant I did not have to try to find studs to mount the rails. MOUNTING TO STUDS IS VITAL!!! There will be a lot of weight on these rails. The rails can each hold a 400 pound door, so the rails and rollers will not even break a sweat. Two rails are used to ensure there is no side to side wobble when the TV is moved, not for the weight.

After the tracks were on the ceiling, the ceiling plate/roller combo was slid onto the tracks and rolled back and forth to check for binding - adjust as needed. There are 14 holes on each 6 foot track, and I used 14 x 1 3/4 wood screws to attack it to the ceiling.

The wiring was run through the ceiling, between the two rails. Both the electrical and the HDMI cables were run through the carrier chain, which was affixed to the ceiling from the entrance point to the center point by the one hole straps (4 of them). This provided strength and stability to the chain. MAKE SURE THE CHAIN IS LYING SIDEWAYS, WITH THE OPENING PARALLEL TO THE CEILING! If you have the opening facing the ceiling, the chain will dropp and hang very low, causing binding and ugliness...as well as gnashing of teeth and much lamentation! I used tie wraps to ensure the cables could not come out in the part affixed to the ceiling. Tie wraps caught the rollers on the other parts, so I used electrical tape on every other knuckle to do the same thing.

I had to tie wrap a wood shim on the inside of the rollers to prevent the chain from between the roller and the mount and binding. I had a lot of wood shims left over from installing a door. smile.gif

Basic parts list:

Sanus Ceiling Mount Kit LC1A
http://www.standsandmounts.com/sanusvisionmountuniversaltiltandswivelceilingmountforflatpaneltvsupto55blacklc1.aspx

6 feet of IGUS Energy Chain Cable Organizer IGU-E08-10-028-0
http://www.cableorganizer.com/igus/echain-series-e08-chain.html

Johnson Hardware Sliding Door 200SD Parts
QTY:2 200-0060 60" (5'- 0") [1524mm] TRACK LENGTH
QTY:1 1712 ADJUSTMENT WRENCH
QTY: 4 2020 200 SERIES DOOR HANGER
QTY: 2 2055 TRACK STOP
http://www.johnsonhardware.com/200sd.htm

QTY:4 One Hold Strap by EMT - found at Home Depot in the electrical section

HDMI Cable, Tie Wraps, wood screws, electrical tape, outlet plug (female end), and other assorted minor items.

Some minor touch up still needs to be done, and the end cap needs to be painted and installed, but everything works as I wanted it to. I kept the entire thing a secret from the wife who LOVES it. smile.gif I am also going to be adding brushes to the covers so the slot the pole runs through is fully concealed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-11-2012, 11:44 AM

Liked: 14
Very impressive! Thanks for posting this.

I've been considering something very similar and this would certainly work. My living room is my home theater but there are two separate seating postions and being able to move the display between them would be perfect. There is a straight line between the two positions... 6 feet between them... and the display would need to rotate 45 degrees. It's a 60" plasma display... according to the manual it weighs 81.6 lbs without the stand. But I do like the way you overdesigned the unit both in weight and to keep it smooth. Besides, with this setup I would think I can move up to a 65" (97 lbs) or even a 70" (~120 lbs) display the next time.

The only issue I can think of has to do with the position of the tracks in relation to the studs. In order to have the tracks run exactly between each position, the rails would not be parallel or perpendicular to the studs... they would be close to parallel but at a slight angle. I'll take another look at this but in the meantime if have any suggestions on how I can get that to work without jeopardizing the integrity of the unit, please let me know.

Again, nice work and thanks for sharing.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-11-2012, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 147
You can angle them across the studs, just make sure that you use some good lag bolts for it. The Johnson site has suggestions on mounting when you cannot hit a lot of studs.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-12-2012, 11:36 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

You can angle them across the studs, just make sure that you use some good lag bolts for it. The Johnson site has suggestions on mounting when you cannot hit a lot of studs.

Thanks... I'll take a look.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-24-2013, 02:48 PM

Liked: 10
Looks great!!! I am going to try to build a ceiling mount using your instructions. What are the dimensions of the aluminum cover? Thanks in advance. -Gary
Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page