Cross country on a Harley... Need help hard wiring phone charger to a Fatboy - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-29-2012, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm a motorcycle mechanic and have done all kind of custom wiring to bikes but there is one part of this project that got me scratching head... the 12v to 5v step down.. i search and saw a thread about a guy trying to power a blue tooth on a boat for ipad but didnt get the clear answer I'm looking for.
I am riding cross country in a week, new your to grand canyon then to Santa Monica then back to NY the northern route through the Rockies.
I have all my maps laid out in Google maps which is sync with my android phone so i will have my phone mounted to handle bars for navigation, music, and uploading to my blog ( therapyon2wheels.com if anyone wants to see the pictures from the road starting 7/6/12) ..anyway i need to have the phone pluged in at all times for all this and space is tight, heres what i got going on..
I got male and female Deutsch plugs with all the fixings from wirecare.com to make quick connect at front of bike behind headlight... one side comes from the 12v fused source on bike the other side will be the phone charger so i can take it all off when not needed and just have a plug behind headlight. Phone takes a mini usb connection at 5v power... i took apart an old car charger i had for the phone and saw a circut board in the cig lighter plug part of the charger that has a USB outlet and the coiled wire that leads to phone plug.... I'm guessing this is where the 12v to 5v step down takes place??
I am also wiring a USB and Cig lighter hub into my saddle bags... I'm hoping the stepdown electronic are all in the body of the hub so i can just cut of cig plug and replace with female end of my Deutsch connector... should be right??

what should i do to make my custom quick connect charger cable thing?? should i just use the board i got out of the charger and cut ogg the spring thing from cig plug end solder in some wire to go to my Deutsch plug?? Is that what you guys would do or do you guys have a better, cleaner way?? I am also wiring a USB and Cig lighter hub into my saddle bags
Thanks for helping me get across the country and back... hopefully LOL

DOB
therapyon2wheels.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-01-2012, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
12V to 5V USB

Retractable USB to mini usb cable

Hope this helps
post #3 of 4 Old 07-01-2012, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
That's exactly what I was looking for... Thank you buddy!!
post #4 of 4 Old 07-02-2012, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
This is what I use. The case is very water proof and I am still able to to use all functions despite the clear protective screen.
I have a quick disconnected bracket for it, when I leave bike I toss the whole thing into the trunk of my concours 14. My fear is someone would snap off the case thinking there was an ipod in it even if it was empty.
I have ridden in horrible rain storms and it still worked fine, no water leakage. I have an oneal blutooth helmet and blutooth pandora/navigation commands from my iphone 4s.
Reply Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page